End of the does season...

shootgun

As i said in a previous thread, my pigeon season was(and still is) absolutely rubbish , so on my shooting days i was reaching for a rifle rather than a shotgun from my cabinet...

I had thoroughly enjoyed this season , some challenging stalks, as sitting in the high seat didn't proved particulary successful for me, and also had my fair bit of blank days. Stopped shooting does couple of weeks ago, even though in season, i don't take great pleasure in shooting them while heavily pregnant.

Seen some stunning roe bucks as well, hopefully they will still show up after April the 1st!

g5PWyb7.jpg

GjNzxd0.jpg

ACCsnc2.jpg

TmuOf6S.jpg

Yep , I’m another one who finishes end of Feb , although I struggled getting on them early in the season , they just didn’t want to come out of the woods , there was so much food about this year it wasn’t till early jan that I finally got into them .Finished about ten short of my target but the estate was happy enough. . I’ll spend the last couple of months thinning out any poor males ..in saying that they are all in hiding at the moment ...

10 hours ago, Walker570 said:

My personal doe season ends on 28th February. Sickening to shoot females after that date other than carefully selected muntjac.

Pretty much same for me, but haven't got a lot of muntjac on my ground unfortunately.

3 hours ago, moose man said:

Yep , I’m another one who finishes end of Feb , although I struggled getting on them early in the season , they just didn’t want to come out of the woods , there was so much food about this year it wasn’t till early jan that I finally got into them .Finished about ten short of my target but the estate was happy enough. . I’ll spend the last couple of months thinning out any poor males ..in saying that they are all in hiding at the moment ...

I had shot only one all season in the open field, everything else whas shot in the deepest darkest Sussex woodland.

At the moment the bucks are coming out at the very last light and they gone just after dawn.

23 minutes ago, ClemFandango said:

I'll shoot females up to the last day of the season. I don't see what's so sickening personally. Each to their own I suppose. 

Doesn't it sicken you when you open it up and see the size of the young not far off perfectly formed, some the size of a rabbit still wriggling and wondering what is going on !

Ah well as you said "each to his own" just like the guy in the papers yesterday that hung his Collie for not rounding the sheep up properly, He didn't see anything wrong in that either !

24 minutes ago, EMcC said:

Doesn't it sicken you when you open it up and see the size of the young not far off perfectly formed, some the size of a rabbit still wriggling and wondering what is going on !

Ah well as you said "each to his own" just like the guy in the papers yesterday that hung his Collie for not rounding the sheep up properly, He didn't see anything wrong in that either !

Doesn't bother me at all. 

Never shot a doe with a feotus that was "still wriggling and wondering what was going on." That's an exaggeration. 

Can't see the link with the Collie, you might as well have said that Hitler didn't think it was wrong to commit mass genocide. It's a bit of a stretch don't you think?

Edited by ClemFandango

I don't see the link to collie story either, seems toatlly irrelevant.

I have shot late does when I have been behind, it isn't ideal but we don't live in a perfect world.

If you stalk on a busy commercial shoot like I do, you sometimes have a very small window to catch up on doe numbers after the shooting season ends.

Odd that we don't comment on shooting pregnant muntjac but we do about roe.

1 hour ago, Dunkield said:

I don't see the link to collie story either, seems toatlly irrelevant.

I have shot late does when I have been behind, it isn't ideal but we don't live in a perfect world.

If you stalk on a busy commercial shoot like I do, you sometimes have a very small window to catch up on doe numbers after the shooting season ends.

Odd that we don't comment on shooting pregnant muntjac but we do about roe.

Yes, but there's pregnant and VERY pregnant.  With muntjac then they are always pregnant, possibly whilst nursing the last fawn.    If stalkers cannot reach their cull figures on does by the end of Feb, then they should get some help. Four months seems more than adequate to me. 

There's no such thing as very pregnant. They are no more pregnant 4 weeks after the end of Feb than they were at the beginning. 

If you are finishing without using the full legal length of the season you aren't shooting enough deer. 

2 hours ago, old'un said:

Not into deer stalking but I do see a lot of deer on my walks, what sort of deer is the one in the last picture, looks a bit like a Sika?

Fallow

7 hours ago, Walker570 said:

If stalkers cannot reach their cull figures on does by the end of Feb, then they should get some help. Four months seems more than adequate to me. 

You are wrong. The simple fact you seem to have overlooked is a busy partridge/pheasant shoot will drive roe deep into cover from which they don't return until well into February.

The doe season wasn't extended just for the fun of it.

14 hours ago, shootgun said:

Pretty much same for me, but haven't got a lot of muntjac on my ground unfortunately.

I had shot only one all season in the open field, everything else whas shot in the deepest darkest Sussex woodland.

At the moment the bucks are coming out at the very last light and they gone just after dawn.

Same as my bit of Sussex , the bucks are bunched up but not moving till way after dark ..we sat and watched them the other night with the thermal , they never put in an appearance till an hour after we packed up and were gone long before we got back an hour before light ..the doe’s on the other hand are every where ..