First reasonable bag of 2018

Terry2016

Me and my son have been doing quite a bit of watching with very little shooting of late... Pigeons on rape in big numbers only to be pushed off and not really come back... mornings or afternoons resulting in bags of a dozen or so...

However .. yesterday we spotted a large field of rape with hundreds of pigeons on it .. the difference was that we sat and watched and they were arriving in 3,  5s and tens and so on...

Could we have a chance of a decent bag... well as it was around a 30 minute drive to the spot so we decided to get to the place for 10am hoping to shoot the very spot where the birds were going down constantly the afternoon before..

Upon arrival our plan was deflated as this would mean shooting across a very large ditch (not a problem) with the wind in our face (unexpected looking at last nights forecast) and the sun also in our face... the wood where the flight line came from would have been opposite meaning that any movement would most likely have been noticed upon locking in on our decoys...

With the above in mind we decided to set up facing the other way in the middle of the field adjacent to a very small sparse bush and a telegraph pole... we set the hide with 4 nets to give good concealment from the sun with a slight roof over the rear stopping us creating any shadows on the front of the hide.

We placed 12 shell decoys out to the right with 2 flappers  with bouncer 30 yds back incoming ... then 10 enforcers out to the left with a magnet on the outside edge ... leaving a nice spot in the centre for the incoming pigeons to head for and hopefully meet our shots...

We added every bit of movement kit we had to see if we could pull the birds over to the field adjacent to the one they had been feeding on the day before..

We were set up and in the hide by 11am, me my son and the dog were ready ... within minutes the first 2 pigeons came from nowhere (I didn't even have cartridges in my gun) and my son shot both..chuffed to bits that the birds seemed happy to come our way but still wondering are the others going to come or will the bangs push them away to feed on another field the same as the previous week..

After a short while groups of birds started to come with a little heavier wind and we were both taking shots sometimes having 2 or 3 birds per group that came in.. 

This lasted for a few hours and my son and I shot some nice birds and missed some "even better ones".. the dog done some fantastic retrieves and I think if one of my flappers didn't keep spinning round and we spent more time in the hide shooting rather that messing about with it we may have shot a few more... I must do something about that....

At 2pm the birds seemed to become decoy shy and the birds started to drift away to the other side of the field I pushed the off a couple of times but they were keen .. we could have moved but we had lots of decoys nets and poles and in all honesty we didn't fancy it ... they will be for another day ..

We picked 31 birds for 3 hours of fantastic sport ...

atb 

IMG_1708.jpg.40a23aba5b2250d0fb8a68239a49ff05.jpg

Edited by Terry2016

10 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Well done, nice looking Spaniel.:good:

Thank you, she is a cracker.. :-)

9 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Excellent detailed report , well done to you , your lad and not forgetting the dog , hope you will have many more good days to come .

Thank you, i am hoping now that they seem to be moving in smaller groups we may stand some chance ..

6 minutes ago, Clodhopper said:

Nice read and well done. Looks like a beautiful day to be out.

It was a great day, thank you..

A good detailed report, with a good result. My year so far has been fairly similar to yours, though if I'm honest, I haven't put as much effort in as I should.

I feel most people will start to report that decoying is now getting easier.

17 minutes ago, motty said:

Not for me yet sadly, set up on some rape this afternoon that was 'busy' with pigeons yesterday. Got it completely wrong and packed up after 1 hour with 6 pigeons!

First spring drilling went in yesterday so here's hoping.

Great bag Terry , well shot.

15 hours ago, Wilksy II said:

Sounds a great few hours, I’m planning an outing tomorrow and I love reading reports the night before,cheers!

Good luck, i hope you have great success...

15 hours ago, pigeon controller said:

Great report , well done.

Thanks PC hopefully ill be getting a some of your numbers soon ..lol

15 hours ago, motty said:

A good detailed report, with a good result. My year so far has been fairly similar to yours, though if I'm honest, I haven't put as much effort in as I should.

Cheers Motty, I hope so.. it has been difficult through the winter .. and I hope change is on the horizon...

15 hours ago, aga man said:

Not for me yet sadly, set up on some rape this afternoon that was 'busy' with pigeons yesterday. Got it completely wrong and packed up after 1 hour with 6 pigeons!

First spring drilling went in yesterday so here's hoping.

Great bag Terry , well shot.

Aga man that sounds just like most of my days until yesterday,,, I am looking forwards to some shooting over drill however I am yet to find some on my permissions... i believe they may be doing some direct drilling .. ill have to keep an eye on that..

14 hours ago, JDog said:

Good report. The scenario sounded complicated but it worked for you both.

Thanks Jdog, it wasn't supposed to be.. but as with pigeon shooting it is never what you expected..but we enjoyed it immensely 

4 hours ago, dead eye alan said:

Nice report and well done, more please.:good:

Thanks Dead eye ... only if they will make worthy reading lol