Need help zeroing

Harry136

Hi

I'm having great difficulty in zeroing a scope. I am using a Hawke SF30 Sidewinder scope with low mounts on a Browning AB3 in .243. I have nice tight groupings when I zero at 100 yds, but I just can't get the scope to zero on the vertical axis, it won't go any lower and is hitting about a foot high of the aiming mark. Im not sure what to do and do't want to waste any more ammo until I know whats going on! Any suggestions or ideas are more than welcome!

James

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/23/2018 at 20:24, snow white said:

I can never remember witch one its i think you want to put a shim under the front mount.if it shooting high.

This lifting the scope up ,lowers the barrel down use a piece of film negative or if your not that old LOL, cut a small piece from a marge tub or similar to "shim" the front mount .You may need 2 or 3 pieces to get "zero" but as Bruno said centre your scope first .Or easiest of all start by swapping the mounts front for back and see if that helps atb

Edited by clakk

Ok take the scope off and with the bottom half of mounts on the rifle check all is level using a straight edge if not change mounts and repeat still off it’s tge rifle.  

Also reverse the mounts retest.  

Still an issue you need to either shim the scope bases not the scope.  Or use mounts with off set inserts like the Burris. 

If it won't adjust down anymore then pack the back scope mount. I use electrical tape and put layers in until I get the adjustment I need. Usually three layers should bring you plenty of adjustment.

try to cut the pieces to the exact size of the bottom half of the mount so there's no over hang, it works for me

58 minutes ago, Whitester said:

If it won't adjust down anymore then pack the back scope mount. I use electrical tape and put layers in until I get the adjustment I need. Usually three layers should bring you plenty of adjustment.

try to cut the pieces to the exact size of the bottom half of the mount so there's no over hang, it works for me

Please don’t do this you can crimp a scope shim under the scope bases and lap the mounts as per normal 

My first instinct would be to put the scope on another rifle and see if its working before you do anything. New scopes can suffer transit damage, it happens.

And vice versa, put a different scope on that rifle

Also, just checking you could turn scope upside down.

Finally, you have got 'up' on the top and 'right' on the side? you wouldn't be the first.......... 

Edited by Vince Green

12 hours ago, Harry136 said:

When i bought the gun, i put it on medium mounts and it seemed spot on, however the mounts sat too high for a cheek weld.There are specific shims for the rings so there won't be any damage. Would shimming just the rear mount work to bring the front down?

This rifle hasn't already got Burris rings with plastic inserts

has it? Or a 20 moa rail?