Best time to shoot squirrels

shawn9914

In my own small wood here, I have noticed that they rarely move until after an hour or more after day break and will then come out looking for food. On the estate I shoot on it was similar last year with high activity from around 9 until mid day but by then those showing where not going home anyway and things quitened dow from then on.  Interested to see what others think.

This winter they have been in short supply everywhere and non existent in my own wood but there again any venturing into the wood rarely last more than 48hrs.

Edited by Walker570

On 23/03/2018 at 21:56, bornfree said:

If you bait them with maize. Any time of the day.

This. 

Also just find a comfy tree close to where you've seen them. Lean up against it and wait for them to come to you. Ive had one come over three trees to then sit directly above me staring at me. He was met with a 22 air rifle pellet. 

• 3 weeks later...

52 weeks of the year. They disperse from breeding areas April May and August September so you get loads moving through your perms that don't stop for more than a day to feed. So kill them as you see them ; some people talk about leaving some for future sport but they are not like rabbits. They set up residence for the Winter in area that they have stashed food in to keep them going till this time of year. Autumn is when they collect food and gorge themselves to build up body fat so easiest time of year to shoot them in large numbers if you target the natural food trees eg hazel,oak,sweet chestnut,horse chestnut. Sycamore gets them foraging on the ground all Winter and this time of the yearon the buds. Hope this helps

The old boys used to say that the best time to cut a walking stick was before the sap rose in Spring. Trouble was, if it was a good stick you could pretty well guarantee that someone else would beat you to it if you left it until 'the right time'. I reckon the best time to cut it is when you see it, and the same goes for shooting squirrels.

Shoot them when you see them :)

On ‎24‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 09:19, Mice! said:

Just lately when I'm not there ☹

clocks go forward though tonight so that could make a difference.

:lol:  It doesn't make any difference to the squirrels, they work to natures clock.  Nobody tells them we change the clocks, it only potentially makes a difference to our time clock.

:good: