Bisley Pay and play .. insurance ??

Doitwithstyle

Hi all I’m new to clay shooting 

and want to start visiting  Bisleys pay and play on my day of during the week  as I’m sure it won’t be that busy .

it says on there web site valid sgc ( I have ) and insurance ? I fort insurance was only needed for game shooters ?? As other clay grounds I have attended have not asked for this 

Any one shine some light on this ??

thanks 

I think that most grounds would presume that you were a member of 1 of the shooting organisations and as such would have third party insurance cover.  If you were to have an accident and injure another person at the ground, you may just find yourself facing a damages claim. It therefore makes sense, to have some type of third party insurance cover.  

Edited by Westley

True everbody loves a bargain 

Few years ago i brought a new browning maxus 1200 quid was out crow shooting out the corner of my eye i saw a fox just walking pasted a old barn i put one in it and down it went i thought must check make sure i killed it out right stepped out of hide fell on gun broke the bloody stock my insurence payed up accidents happen.

I checked the fox it was dead thank the lord for that as i did like the idear of shooting gun with broken stock.

Before anybody says anythink i was using num 5 shot and fox only about 15 yards away i had just made my hide up and getting decoys out of bag it droped stone dead but i wanted to make sure.

At a commercial ground/or game shoot the liability is with the commercial entity that runs it. 

I've shot at many grounds and never been asked to produce proof of insurance, ever. All I've ever been asked for is my SGC money and to follow the ground rules.

That said, there's lots of no-brainer reasons to have insurance of your own. Not least the £100k legal representation, it could be you thats shot or otherwise injured, by anything from slippery floors to being knocked down by site vehicles etc. Any of that is going to require you to have legal representation to fight your corner and, win or lose, that legal representation is going to cost.   

Bisley pay & play is for more experienced shots.Insurance is mandatory for the pay & play.I would suggest 1st time you go have an instructor accompany you who will show you the ropes..BSG has a great lay out.

BASC is £78 per annum,can buy online.You dont need it with instructor...but do for their pay & play diy version.

all best

2 hours ago, Uilleachan said:

Never been asked to show insurance at Bisley 

Likewise at Bisley Braidwood.  I'm sure they said I didn't need any, but that was a while back and my memory isn't great. 

Edited by hod

13 hours ago, hod said:

Likewise at Bisley Braidwood.  I'm sure they said I didn't need any, but that was a while back and my memory isn't great. 

Paying customers at a company controlled premises don't, it's the legal entity/company in control of the site that's required, by law, to be insured unless considered self indemnifying, e.g. local authorities government etc.   

23 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

It must be a policy of the ground that all shooters have their own insurance, their ground, their rules. It clearly states insurance is required on the website.

Like I say, I've shot Bisley (Braidwood admittedly) many times and never been asked for Insurance, not there nor at any of the other grounds I shoot. 

If anyone should be asking for proof of insurance, it should be the customers. Their ground their business activity their liability, thats non transferable in law.

Not saying it it isn't a good idea to have personal insurance, having insurance is a no brainer, but the insurance onus for commercial shooting grounds, or any other commercially run activity, is on the business that runs the ground. Having your own insurance doesn't change that. 

1 hour ago, Newbie to this said:

I'm not saying otherwise. I'm mearly saying, it must be a ground policy. Just because they have insurance, doesn't mean they can't have a policy requiring individuals to have their own.

Well if it's a policy it's never been communicated to me. 

Its an interesting question. My first instinct would be if youre paying to shoot at a commercial clay ground their insurance should cover you. If you were to take a child for their first shooting lesson how many people get an insurance policy for the child before going? None I would imagine.

But then if this is the case then why does CPSA membership grant you insurance if all the grounds offering CPSA registered events already have their own liability cover. Furthermore, normally you cant insure something twice. So an accident occurs at a CPSA registered event. Who paying for it, the individuals insurance or the clubs insurance. I imagine there could be a long legal battle between the solicitors on both sides.

5 minutes ago, zipdog said:

Its an interesting question. My first instinct would be if youre paying to shoot at a commercial clay ground their insurance should cover you. If you were to take a child for their first shooting lesson how many people get an insurance policy for the child before going? None I would imagine.

But then if this is the case then why does CPSA membership grant you insurance if all the grounds offering CPSA registered events already have their own liability cover. Furthermore, normally you cant insure something twice. So an accident occurs at a CPSA registered event. Who paying for it, the individuals insurance or the clubs insurance. I imagine there could be a long legal battle between the solicitors on both sides.

The insurance you take out covers you and your "legal" activity any where you are authorised to shoot. The insurance businesses carry is to cover them for liability exposure on their premises from their business activity. Two policies but each party is only insured once. 

So you go to your local pay & play ground and get run over by a vehicle. The vehicle is privately owned by another customer. All three parties have insurance, victim driver ground operator. Yet the liability for the accident rests with the ground operator as the accident happened on their business premises. It's the same as getting shot by another customer, you don't claim against the shooter, it's the ground. The ground may well sue the shooter if it can be shown they transgressed the ground rules, i.e. they weren't wearing their safety glasses when they did the shooting or if it can be shown they otherwise behaved inappropriately.

Three policies but everyone still only insured once, everyone claiming, the victim from the ground and legal fees from their insurance to pay for it, the ground from the shooter and for defending themselves, the shooter for legal fees from their policy to defend themselves.   

To be insured twice you'd need two policies covering the same thing, in your own name.  

Yeah, bisley will have their own insurance. 

2 hours ago, zipdog said:

You can insure something as many times as you like, but you would only be able to claim once for each occurrence.

The belt and braces approach so that shooters and grounds all have cover would lead to a reduction in premiums overall.