Rod / reel for farm ponds

PeterHenry

All,

I'm just getting back into coarse fishing - especially/mainly in small to medium farm ponds - I've had a couple of 3lb mirror carp put of one of them - and a lot of roach - with my 13ft Youngs Trotting rod and centerpin, via float fishing in the warmer months. This said, I've just got myself some polaris floats to try out float ledgering with and have had my first attempt today. Its something I want to do more of, but I'm not great with centerpins to start with (I go fly fIshing normaly), and I came back from today with the distinct impression that they didnt get on all that well with polaris type floats.

So, as my trotting rod seems like its something of an overkill for the majority of the fish I'm catching, and I think a fixed spool reel is going to simplify things significantly - does anyone have any sugestions for a rod that can can cope with the sort of fish I'm likely to encounter in farm pools, using polaris type floats and 10-20g (or there abouts) weights.

I've had a look around - but coarse fishing jargon is more or less impenetrable - as far as I can tell at least.... so any advice would be greatly appriciated.

Oh, extra points for rod sugestions with cork handles 

I do not know a lot about course fishing, but I know a fair bit about fly fishing. For a beginner, it is possible to buy a complete balanced fly fishing outfit that will get you fishing. I would suggest that the same would apply to course fishing. Maybe a trip to your local tackle shop and ask for advice would be a start. I get a trade magazine and they have regular monthly visits to both gun and fishing tackle outlets, posing as a beginner. They then score out of 100 for the help and advice that they get, along with the shop presentation, ease of parking etc. etc. The point being is,  most if not all of the shops,  score highly for their help and advice offered.  Try them, you do not HAVE to buy. 

hello, i use to fish an old  lake  with my uncle as a nipper, full of common carp, we used a fibre glass 10ft carp rod with a long cork handle and rubber button together with a  mitchell 300 reel full bale version,  that was 60 years ago, much better than new tackle and can get some  bargains as prices for yesterdays fishing tackle is good, in fact i bought just these items for my son as he like carping, i paid £20 for rod £20 for reel,  note the reel went on to be a best seller with over 13 million made between 1951/1989

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Go to Go Outdoors and buy a rod and reel combo for >£30, get some decent line on the reel and off you go.

The fish don't care what rod you use, I have outfished mates with expensive setup many times. Too easy to get hung up on equipment.

What's your budget?

If those are the fish weights you're expecting then any half decent match rod should do the trick. I've had carp of 7-8lbs on mine and it handled them with little problem.

The other alternative would be an "Avon" rod. With that you get a tip for float fishing and one for legering. They tend to be stiffer than a match rod but are therefore more powerful when playing a fish.

I'd love to be more specific but honestly I've never fished with a polaris float.

Reel, well a fixed spool would be my choice. Any half decent brand should do the trick. If you're not in any hurry wait for Lidl to do their fishing gear, their Crivit reels are great, very solid pieces of kit, I have 3 or 4 of them and I've never had a problem with them.