410 reloading press

This is how it goes......anything you buy for personal use, under £385, does not incur duty, but is still liable for VAT at 20%. You could ignore that, and go through the Green channel and hope for the best, but if stopped, then you have to pay the VAT, and technically you have committed an offence (not good if you are a  Licence holder!)

If he does bring back a machine, without declaring it, the saving on a new machine, compared to here, is about  £95, give or take a pound!

My experienc of attempting 410 reloading is;

i have a conversion kit for my mec junior. Fine if you use once fired previously plastic wad with some hulls, not others. If the shells have previously been fibre wad; then the chances are the case is so deformed that once reloaded they won’t chamber. I have found the most efficient way to load 410 is new primed cases. About 0. 9p a case primed, plus collection/delivery. You can use a dipper for both powder and shot. Lee do a great set for around a tenner. I have a Lyman gen 6 powder measure for my rifle reloads so use that for the powder charge. But in all honesty I can use the dipper much faster anD with similar accuracy. 

I really wouldn’t waste my time and money on a 410 press.  New 76mm primed cases, pop in the powder, wad, push down with a bit of dowel or end of a pencil, ,pop in the shot, over shot card and finish with roll turn over. You can churn out consistent shells, around 100 an hour  like this, probably more. Speak to John at FES. He will supply you with all you need .he has good data for reloading 410.

atb

t33

• 3 weeks later...

To avoid the need to buy new primed cases, and use  once fired ones, you need a Ponsness Warren 375.....the case is enclosed in a steel "die" throughout the loading process, and cannot bulge, causing failure to chamber correctly.  The best cases are Winchester or Remington, but hard to find here.....Cheddite are quite  soft,  Fiocchi not too bad....