Fogged headlights

Ricko

I do this quite often.
A rotary polishing machine and a fairly aggressive polishing compound like fareclas g3 or g6, DO NOT USE ONE WITH AMMONIA ! ie TCUT.

A steady slow speed, dont get it hot enough to melt your headlight, will definitely yield improvements.
If they are really bad, a light nib with 12-1500 grit paper first.

You will probably find they go back opaque after a few months anyway, so an investment in the polisher ect, isnt that bad an idea.
Plus you can use it on the car body.

10 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Is this specific to a particular make of car as i must have had 35 cars in my lifetime and never come across this?

Proper glass headlights are not affected.

Not all plastic ones are strangely, but high UV levels seem to play a part.
I have a friend in Oz who has a business cleaning them up, as its so common in the hotter areas.

2 hours ago, Dunkield said:

I have done Micra ones and they came out well. You can either buy a kit or just use the finest w&d you can find and then finish with polish. Interesting to read comments about T Cut because I am fairly sure that is what I used.

The ammonia can burn the plastic ,staining it, if you leave it on too long.

On 3/27/2018 at 23:35, Pistol p said:

I restore a lot of these, I reclear them with 2k clear coat as it lasts far longer that the polishing route.

Are they not still hazy underneath ?
Ive never tried  that to be honest, I would have thought the heat, stone chips ect would decay the lacquer pretty quick, what brand are you using ?

4 hours ago, Rewulf said:

Are they not still hazy underneath ?
Ive never tried  that to be honest, I would have thought the heat, stone chips ect would decay the lacquer pretty quick, what brand are you using ?

Any 2k will do. If the lights are ancient ot really yellow it can be harder but the keys wet flatting the dead plastic off.