Doubts about the FX Impact, then what other PCP

atyl1972

Just to be contrary try the S510, great  guns and they don't look like they've got a sig bottle rammed in their mouth. 

(lights blue touch paper and retires to a safe distance................) 

Edited by Mr.C
Auto correct

I'm with you Mr.C - people get blinded by bells and whistles when buying Airguns and are quite happy to spend the wrong side of a grand for something that manufacturers persuade you is essential. There is NOTHING that will be an appreciable advantage on "Champagne" guns that the vast majority of decent, reasonably priced, PCP's cannot do for far less - Regs? never felt at a disadvantage when both my S410's will plant 50 shots within 1/2" if I do my bit. Adj dangly bits? why? my neck moves quite a bit. Laminated Stock? Not one squirrel has ever demanded that I only use a piece of pretty wood - some makers will say that it is more stable but when most barrels are free floating it makes no difference. If you want living proof of the bullplop bandied around have a quick listen to Giles Barry's latest test on the FX Crown...."barrel is extendable" - no it is not, the shroud might be + the barrel "seems to get better over distance" - so does that mean it is more accurate the further away the target? Can anyone smell something in the air?

Edited by bruno22rf

18 hours ago, atyl1972 said:

I see that at Bristol, theres another here from mcavoyguns for an extra £49, comes with bipod, sling, hard carry case, pellets and is brand new, plus scope, a bsa one but still an excellent deal to be had there, nice little touch of bling too with the bolt, god I can see me getting 2 guns now, lol. shot count is around 190 isn't it in 177, don't quote me?

Your profile doesn't say where you are? If you go with Mc's don't forget to add in rfd costs. If the Bristol one has already been bowket tuned that's worth more than the extra's, you can pick those up easily enough.

6 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Your profile doesn't say where you are? If you go with Mc's don't forget to add in rfd costs. If the Bristol one has already been bowket tuned that's worth more than the extra's, you can pick those up easily enough.

yes fair point about rfd, its normally around £20 mark isn't it? from Cornwall so will have to pay anyway, whoever I choose.

6 hours ago, Mr.C said:

Just to be contrary try the S510, great  guns and they don't look like they've got a sig bottle rammed in their mouth. 

(lights blue touch paper and retires to a safe distance................)

I will hopefully tomorrow, even toying with 2 guns, one for the range with 100+ shots per fill, and possibly something like the s510 for the hunt, which I would imagine is sufficient, as long as I will be that is :lol:

Just now, Mice! said:

i imagine you'll get two second hand guns with scopes for the price of the FX you were looking at?

ive already sorted a deal out with a shop with the fx impact, but not going through with it after speaking to a few gunsmiths let alone owners, who basically say to avoid, so im going to look at the daystate pulsar and I really like the look of the bsa r-10 se limited edition, but I also like the s510 ult sporter

1 minute ago, atyl1972 said:

ive already sorted a deal out with a shop with the fx impact, but not going through with it after speaking to a few gunsmiths let alone owners, who basically say to avoid, so im going to look at the daystate pulsar and I really like the look of the bsa r-10 se limited edition, but I also like the s510 ult sporter

I know that whichever gun I choose it'll outshoot me very day of the week for the rest of my life but I know that a lot of shooters don't like to let out that looks really are a massive factor when purchasing a gun, as well as performance. luckily we live in a time where out guns are not just performers but also are very nice aesthetically. 

I have to admit to agree with bruno :oops:

for sub 12 airguns out to 50  yds. I cant really see the need for a reg .my unregged ultras will drop all 40 shots into an inch group at 50 yds. I have one regged gun and thats my fac .25 .which i push to 100 yds. And thats where i see the advantage. 

Im no fan of the r10 reg. (Having owned an r10 for less than 12 hours. ) as the reg packed in and i rejected it .straight away .

But a bowket tuned r10 "should " be a lot better. And would get my money .

Yes, a tuned R10 is another animal. My XTX air tuned R10 (I purchased it already tuned off of Chrisjpainter off here) is pretty awesome. I was going to sell it as I needed the money going self employed and I wasn’t using much at all as shooting opportunities were limited. 

I’m so glad I didn’t as I took it out the other day and it reminded me how laser beam accurate it is. Such a smooth & consistent rifle.

Really want to make a nice stock for it now. 

I have had an FX Impact .25 fac for about 18 months now and simply love it. I know you are not looking at an fac but nevertheless the base rifle is nothing less than a shear joy to use. If only my pension would run to it, a sub 12 version would be sat in my cabinet as we speak. I have just bought an FX Streamline from a friend which is not in the same league as the Impact but fitted with the pension and still a lovely rifle.

My advice is to try one if possible and if you buy one, DO NOT start to 'tune' the rifle just because you can. The majority of issues / problems have been caused by people messing around with the various adjustments that you have with these guns. The other thing to do if you are buying new or s/h is to record the settings of the rifle so you have the settings so you can always revert back to factory settings. Lastly read the manual several times to fully take on board the info given.

These guns are nothing short of fantastic as they come from the factory, just buy one and enjoy.

Phil

Edited by philpotttt