Controlling magpies in urban areas

Tried a larson in my back garden last year.  And the Mrs and neighbours on one side weren't too happy. Any alternatives? An airgun wont work as I have a very public walkway backing on to me. There are magpies evreywhere and no song birds left. Any ideas?

sketch-1522054368501.png

Edited by novice cushie shooter

I have shot a few off the bird table in my back garden with my air rifles - shooting down  from an upstairs window.

The only problem is that nowadays they are so canny that they do a fly-past of the window to see if I am up there, and abort their feed until I am elsewhere.

I haven't yet resorted to disguising myself as a pair of curtains

Unfortunately the best method would be a Larsen but as that’s a no no you and the song birds will have to suffer them. I had a Larsen at a friends urban house and it caught over 30 magpies and several cats. Magpies knocked on the head and cats released. There is no way he could of shot that many with his air rifle. 

Good idea. The closest isnt high so I can disrupt till then. Will try a fenn with a dummy nest or scraps of meat. 

Airguns aren't possible as its busy all the  time and don't want complaints 

Thanks chaps

16 minutes ago, Fisheruk said:

Is the nest on your land?

No they are on a public walkway 

On ‎26‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 09:48, novice cushie shooter said:

Tried a larson in my back garden last year.  And the Mrs and neighbours on one side weren't too happy. Any alternatives? An airgun wont work as I have a very public walkway backing on to me. There are magpies evreywhere and no song birds left. Any ideas?

sketch-1522054368501.png

Sounds like me this, my missus is against a larsen trap, trapping squirrels and the odd rat is much more discreet, my kids would probably end up naming the call bird and one neighbour might kick up a fuss, magpies everywhere, but plenty of song birds at the moment.

need a magpie to catch a long tail tit where she can see then the wife will wage war on them.