Note to self...Don’t use family tradesmen

washerboy

Family and business is a big no no for me.

I get on super well with my brother in law who is a high end property developer and has teams of builders; He would do anything for me at cost price, but for the sake of our friendship and relationship, I have never and would never use him.

1 hour ago, Eyefor said:

..also, never let family use holiday homes.

NOBODY (other than immediate family of me / wife  / 2 sprogs and their partners) will use ours ever again.

There must be a list of don't do's with family?

It’s in the back of the Book of Common Prayer: https://www.churchofengland.org/prayer-and-worship/worship-texts-and-resources/book-common-prayer/table-kindred-and-affinity

LS

1 hour ago, Eyefor said:

..also, never let family use holiday homes.

NOBODY (other than immediate family of me / wife  / 2 sprogs and their partners) will use ours ever again.

There must be a list of don't do's with family?

Ooohhhh come on then ... do tell! 

Luckily my brother in law lets my partner and I use that villa :) we leave it spotless because we want to use it again in the future, I can’t see how anyone would not do the same, shooting themselves in the foot!! 

A man I know had a villa abroad and owned a car, in the end he sold the car, he said everytime someone went out they used his car but never filled it back up with fuel or looked after it and it did his head in. He said it’s much less hassle to just rent one for himself when he goes and they can do the same if they want one! 

3 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

My eldest let his in-laws use his holiday home - free, including gas, electric etc.. They did some work in the garden, planted some stuff - none of which was asked for - and gave them a bill.

Your having a laugh! 

They genuinely billed him? I just can’t see things like this actually happening in reality ? 

how much was the bill for? 

Your having a laugh! 

They genuinely billed him? I just can’t see things like this actually happening in reality ? 

how much was the bill for? 

I wish I was having a laugh. It amounted to about £20.

If they take my / our grandkids to McDonalds, they keep the receipt for re-imbursement. They are quite well off, but so tight.

1 minute ago, Gordon R said:

If they take my / our grandkids to McDonalds, they keep the receipt for re-imbursement. They are quite well off, but so tight.

?? has he invited them to use it again in the future? 

Re the McDonalds I’d send them out with a packed lunch next time 

They continue to use it. Their view is that my son and their daughter are well able to afford it. Whilst this is true, I couldn't do what they do.

They actually asked us if we asked for re-imbursement and seemed shocked when my wife said it never occurred to us.

1 minute ago, Gordon R said:

?? has he invited them to use it again in the future? 

Re the McDonalds I’d send them out with a packed lunch next time 

you can choose your friends, but not your family

57 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

thought my in laws were tight but thats shocking, wouldn't it be great if they gave them an invoice at the end of the year for the holiday home, even if it was a joke.

4 hours ago, washerboy said:

Wife’s relative is a plumber and he has in the past installed our boiler, at the minute it is playing up. He has been out to it and been payed £200 ..trouble is it’s still not working and he is avoiding our telephone calls and Facebook messages.

be cheaper to just get someone to service it, that's not related 

13 minutes ago, Mice! said:

you can choose your friends, but not your family

thought my in laws were tight but thats shocking, wouldn't it be great if they gave them an invoice at the end of the year for the holiday home, even if it was a joke.

be cheaper to just get someone to service it, that's not related 

A service wont fix a breakdown either with a boiler or a car

Slightly off the OP but I have noticed some appalling work carried out for cash with no receipts. Recently a patio laid level with the damp course, electrics installed in a kitchen without certification and a wood burning stove installed on a wooden floor! No way would anybody carry out the work if they were issuing a bill or receipt. I doubt any would admit to doing the work if anything went wrong afterwards.

All I ask is materials covered for and I’m happy . As long as I’m not loosing money I don’t mind but you’ll have to wait.

my uncle tried to pay me a month ago for resiliconing his shower . It cost me £3 . I said I don’t want a penny but he wouldn’t listen. 

I’m hanging doors at the weekend but my mates collecting a car I’ve bought on trade plates as a favour. 

Tell me about it, I’m a car mechanic and do my sisters and there husbands and threes kids for free. All I ask for is the money for parts and I have to keep reminding them for that.

one of my brother in laws always says he can only pay me on a Friday when he gets paid but spends thousands on tattoos and fishing tackle ??

they don’t know how lucky they are 

When I went to Australia I allowed my brother to use my house "he was homeless due to a repossession" so he and his family used my gaff for 3 weeks to give my folks a break. When I got back it was trashed. Doors off hinges, contents of drawers on the floor, carpets and walls had food all over and the worst was my Sons toys were broken. I was gutted, and my son was heartbroken. I would still help him now though! 

As for Family doing work, I have spent a lot of time fitting a kitchen to mums old house, decorating and doing repairs to my sisters house, recently laying paving at mums new place and gardening. I don't charge friends, or family! But will help if I can. 

I spent 9 years dating my ex, but even though we're not a couple now I still do bits at her house! rebuilding walls, pointing, repairing the cooker, washer, dishwasher, fitting CCTV, alarm installation, laminate flooring, decorating, carpets, tiling, wiring and more to boot! 

A friend bought an old farm labourers house to move into that required a lot of work! I gave him a hand as much as I could, I gave another friend a hand with his tree surgery business, 

I don't expect being paid when helping people out. But if it was a business of my own! Then I still wouldn't charge for my time! 

I enjoy helping if I have the time, but recently work is eating up almost every spare moment I have. That and looking after my parents now too. 

3 minutes ago, Royboy said:

Tell me about it, I’m a car mechanic and do my sisters and there husbands and threes kids for free. All I ask for is the money for parts and I have to keep reminding them for that.

one of my brother in laws always says he can only pay me on a Friday when he gets paid but spends thousands on tattoos and fishing tackle ??

I gave my brother in law TWO cars, the first "Mazda 323 pop up light model" he sold 2 month later! And the second, a V6 auto mondeo he drove into the ground. He needed them to get to work apparently and I didn't want my sister losing the house just because he couldn't get to work. I felt like an idiot for giving him them, more over after I found he skipped mortgage payments, ditched my sister for a younger woman and the mortgage company repossessed the house. She is currently trying to rebuild her life with the kids while he swanned off to Dubai, and lived a life of Riley. 

3 minutes ago, Lord Geordie said:

I gave my brother in law TWO cars, the first "Mazda 323 pop up light model" he sold 2 month later! And the second, a V6 auto mondeo he drove into the ground. He needed them to get to work apparently and I didn't want my sister losing the house just because he couldn't get to work. I felt like an idiot for giving him them, more over after I found he skipped mortgage payments, ditched my sister for a younger woman and the mortgage company repossessed the house. She is currently trying to rebuild her life with the kids while he swanned off to Dubai, and lived a life of Riley. 

?

5 hours ago, Winston72 said:
16 minutes ago, Royboy said:

A service wont fix a breakdown either with a boiler or a car

A service may have been all it needed, who knows, £200 and not fixed!! Sorry but that stinks.

my brother is a mechanic standard price for me is parts plus beer, lucky aren't i?

As for some of the other posts its shocking, if you cant trust your own family not to stitch you up what hope is there.