Grammar and Spelling on Social Media

KB1

13 minutes ago, old man said:

Need to put the brakes on here?

Some people are dyslexic and most have 'auto correction' which thinks it's more intelligent than most of us?

Whilst I understand that some people are dyslexic, that wouldn't form a large percentage of poor spelling on Social Media.  Also, wouldn't it be better to use a Spell Checker than 'auto correction'?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see some shocking spelling and grammar.

My spelling and grammar are that bad I am reluctant to both put up posts and reply to posts out of embarrassment. 

I'll write out a post or reply and then delete it as I'm not confident that its been written correctly. I usually get my wife to proof read most of the things I write, in fact she has just read through this!

But predictive text does help sometimes. 

17 minutes ago, grrclark said:

You shouldn't do yourself down.

It made me laugh as soon as I hit post on my original offering.

That is one of the unwritten rules of life, if you are going to make a smart comment about spelling or grammar then best be 100% accurate in what you type.

A soothsayer would have predicted the original error. (That is a rather obvious clue)

We've all done it, but it feels good when someone else does:)  Fair play to you Sir…...

2 minutes ago, Scotty1980 said:

My spelling and grammar are that bad I am reluctant to both put up posts and reply to posts out of embarrassment. 

I'll write out a post or reply and then delete it as I'm not confident that its been written correctly. I usually get my wife to proof read most of the things I write, in fact she has just read through this!

Well, theres nothing shocking about your post.

To be honest there are plenty of words that I still have difficulty spelling, but like yourself I would be embarrassed to post without first checking.

The fact that you get your Mrs to proof read what you suspect may be wrong, is in itself commendable.

23 minutes ago, Scotty1980 said:

You should post what you want, if that's how you see words then so be it, 

Don't let the ne'er Sayers put you off.... Nobody's perfect ?

:shaun:

1 hour ago, Winston72 said:

Guilty as charged, I didn't spend much time at school, and i am now too lazy to learn, however my knowledge and intellect  is comparable to most on here, braced and ready

Bet it's not the first time you've been "braced and ready". ??

14 minutes ago, ditchman said:

im, keepin' out of this thread....i have trouble wiv me asteroids...steroids ...and hemeroids.......never mind me spellin'...........

Ditchy, God bless you, I knew you would retort:)

19 minutes ago, shaun4860 said:

You should post what you want, if that's how you see words then so be it, 

Don't let the ne'er Sayers put you off.... Nobody's perfect ?

:shaun:

I've posted what I want before, but within 5 mins the Mod's have removed it:sad1::sad1:

4 hours ago, KB1 said:

Maybe I'm just 'Old School' but these days there seems to be a lot of P poor spelling on Social Media with the most annoying, being the simple common linking verbs, constantly mashed in a way that a 4 year old would scoff at

I see a lot of long winded paragraphs on serious issues, but the atrocious spelling of simple words renders me unable to take the writer's intellect serious.

Do I expect too much?:hmm:

Shouldn't that be the adverb, "seriously" ? 

I would rather see contributions from everyone. Grammar and spelling are some of the least important attributes to field craft and country sports. It's my choice as to what I choose to read but it would be a sad world if some felt uncomfortable to contribute for fear that their contribution would be criticized. 

2 minutes ago, oowee said:

I would rather see contributions from everyone. Grammar and spelling are some of the least important attributes to field craft and country sports. It's my choice as to what I choose to read but it would be a sad world if some felt uncomfortable to contribute for fear that their contribution would be criticized. 

Well said :good:

3 minutes ago, oowee said:

It to me sounds like your trying to be a bit PC there.

My original post was not aimed at Field Craft and Country Sports participants per se, but Social Media in general.  It would be a sadder world if the future generations end up illiterate because we tell them it doesn't matter.

Just my opinion:innocent:

12 hours ago, Gordon R said:

I am surprised that the OP is taking contributors to task, when his own posts are littered with errors.

However, in the overall scheme of things, spelling and grammar play second fiddle to the content.

Who am I taking to task?  Its called light hearted banter Gordon……..

Jeez man, People who live in glass houses comes to mind:innocent: