Grammar and Spelling on Social Media

KB1

1 hour ago, Gordon R said:

KB1 - I haven't a clue why you started the thread, as you are ill-equipped to judge the spelling and grammar of others. You do seem a bit reluctant to accept that your own written work is not brilliant, for reasons that escape me. I suspect that, when you say I am bluffing, you can't find fault in your posts. Sack the guide dog and start looking. It isn't that hard.

A cynic might come to the conclusion that you can't find the faults in your own work, but have a special ability to spot errors elsewhere. That is a special talent that you have there, albeit very selective.

It is clear that others on the Forum care less about whether something is 100% perfect and focus on the actual content. That is the right thing to do.

Whilst this is predominantly a shooting forum, the best threads I have read concerned Land Rovers, boats, welding and a moped. The junior dig about "Off Topic" is just a bit silly.

+1 :good: oops an omoji

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Spelling correctly is a cultural thing. It is a way of showing that we are different from the great Apes. The appreciation of fine wines, classical music, the playing of violins, the wonder and awe at architecture, the ability to speak different languages and the ability to reason all show that we are educated and have moved on from being mere animals. I believe that we owe it to those with whom we are communicating the written word to do our best to conform to accepted standards.

22 minutes ago, JDog said:

Spelling correctly is a cultural thing. It is a way of showing that we are different from the great Apes. The appreciation of fine wines, classical music, the playing of violins, the wonder and awe at architecture, the ability to speak different languages and the ability to reason all show that we are educated and have moved on from being mere animals. I believe that we owe it to those with whom we are communicating the written word to do our best to conform to accepted standards.

warse goin' orn hear..............dew yu roight boi.............:lol:

These issues could, partially at least, be due to the bleak period in the education system of the 2000s where many children in many schools (not all children in all schools) were instructed that spelling, grammar and presentation were not important, as long as their point came across. 

Now perhaps, we are experiencing the unfortunate legacy of this, as 'Millennials' seem to be some (again, not all) of the worst offenders. 

My son is dyslexic and me also it’s hereditary.

when I first come on the forum researching game management with starting a shoot for my son a lot of reply’s said get him on here.

He had a hard time in school with people taking the **** out of him just because he can not spell. Is that is foult?

he will not put post on here because of this.

but this is a lad that plays county cricket and as done from 10 years old he as played cricket at all the best grounds in the country  but not lords yet? Played football for portvale under 13&14 for two seasons. And with a shot gun he’s class.

so when he gets bd’s back to front will you lot take the **** because that is what he thinks.

4 hours ago, Gordon R said:

KB1 - I haven't a clue why you started the thread, as you are ill-equipped to judge the spelling and grammar of others. You do seem a bit reluctant to accept that your own written work is not brilliant, for reasons that escape me. I suspect that, when you say I am bluffing, you can't find fault in your posts. Sack the guide dog and start looking. It isn't that hard.

A cynic might come to the conclusion that you can't find the faults in your own work, but have a special ability to spot errors elsewhere. That is a special talent that you have there, albeit very selective. :lol:

It is clear that others on the Forum care less about whether something is 100% perfect and focus on the actual content. That is the right thing to do.

Whilst this is predominantly a shooting forum, the best threads I have read concerned Land Rovers, boats, welding and a moped. The junior dig about "Off Topic" is just a bit silly.

I suspect that your a tad embarrassed after making sweeping statements like "Littered with errors" and "Howlers above", and now not able to back that up the the degree you painted.

I'm not at all reluctant to admit my grammar isn't perfect, but I don't think its as bad as you make out whilst playing to the gallery, and I've invited you a few times now to point out what I'm obviously missing……..Still waiting:hmm:

Again, your last sentence is just playing to the gallery, and in itself a great deal more infantile than my "Junior Dig".

38 minutes ago, The gouse said:

when I first come on the forum researching game management with starting a shoot for my son a lot of reply’s said get him on here.

He had a hard time in school with people taking the **** out of him just because he can not spell. Is that is foult?

but this is a lad that plays county cricket and as done from 10 years old he as played cricket at all the best grounds in the country  but not lords yet? Played football for portvale under 13&14 for two seasons. And with a shot gun he’s class.

so when he gets bd’s back to front will you lot take the **** because that is what he thinks.

There are people on here that should know better but can't help themselves as they think it makes them look clever.

It doesn't.....then the tit for tat petty arguments start.....

You should get him posting on here if he wants to, no pressure either way.

There are more good people on here than bad, thankfully.

:shaun:

1 hour ago, JDog said:

Well said.

44 minutes ago, The gouse said:

Can you point out exactly where anyone has taken the **** out of Dyslexia?

8 minutes ago, KB1 said:

I suspect that your a tad embarrassed after making sweeping statements like "Littered with errors" and "Howlers above", and now not able to back that up the the degree you painted.

I'm not at all reluctant to admit my grammar isn't perfect, but I don't think its as bad as you make out whilst playing to the gallery, and I've invited you a few times now to point out what I'm obviously missing……..Still waiting

Again, your last sentence is just playing to the gallery, and in itself a great deal more infantile than my "Junior Dig".

He has had it all is life mate with people talking the ****

like I can take the **** with your gramma ( and now not able to back that up THE THE degree you painted????lol :lol: 

8 minutes ago, The gouse said:

He has had it all is life mate with people talking the ****

like I can take the **** with your gramma ( and now not able to back that up THE THE degree you painted????lol  

Touche:)

33 minutes ago, shaun4860 said:

There are more good people on here than bad, thankfully.

Shaun, how does it make someone a bad person (If thats what your implying) by having an opinion regarding the standard of grammar and spelling on Social Media?

There are many topics/threads on PW that result in slanging matches, but I don't see why this one should?  Looking back over the thread it would appear that the views are split 50/50 and thats just fine, but no need for all out war on a reasonably tame subject.

20 minutes ago, KB1 said:

Well said.

Can you point out exactly where anyone has taken the **** out of Dyslexia?

You started this post with why the spelling and gramma is so bad on forums.

Some people can only spell words as thay sound. But it comes easy to you:no:

My son might not be able to spell but he as achievements so far 

shropshire county play of the year 2013/2014 Top Cheshire bowling averages 2015

and this is county leaval.

if you look up the 2012 Shropshire county cricket book that’s my son on the front cover. 

And drop Portvale football for cricket. 

But he cannot spell is that is foult. No it’s mine