Ultrasonic cleaner

29 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

I use Birchwood Casey Brass Cartridge case cleaner. I warm it up in the microwave, soak the cases for approx 5 minutes then use the ultrasonic cleaner with the liquid. It gets all the inside of the cases, including flash holes, clean.

Hi Steve thanks  for that of to the gun shop tomorrow to get to Birchwood Cases  cleaner  many thanks again regards silver fox 1

11 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

I use Micro cleaner, mainly because I already had a bottle, not necessarily because I would highly recommend it, but it works ok

Interesting thanks for the reply might get a bottle of this as well just to compare regards silver Fox1

10 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

Some of the mixtures on youtube work ok, using hot water, vinegar, salt and washing up liquid

Yes I have actually used this solution and it does work pretty good wasn’t sure about using it in an ultrasonic cleaner  thanks for the reply regards Silverfox 1

15 minutes ago, silver fox 1 said:

Hi Steve thanks  for that of to the gun shop tomorrow to get to Birchwood Cases  cleaner  many thanks again regards silver fox 1

Interesting thanks for the reply might get a bottle of this as well just to compare regards silver Fox1

Yes I have actually used this solution and it does work pretty good wasn’t sure about using it in an ultrasonic cleaner  thanks for the reply regards Silverfox 1

It actually works well. As mentioned, I heat some of the liquid in the microwave and then soak the cases first. It's surprising what comes off them when they are in the ultrasonic cleaner.

1 hour ago, silver fox 1 said:

Evening all  i’ve just tried the washing up liquid salt and vinegar as  we had that in the house and I must say I’m quite impressed with the results,  it started me off thinking  I wonder which one works out the cheapest for best results 

If it works why look further? Its only cleaning cases at the end of the day. I buy a lot of  gherkins and pickled onions because I am on a diet and always save the vinegar into an old 2l coke bottle. It works fine for a 2-3 hour soak before tumbling.

I have a small ultrasonic that takes about a pint. Warm water, a dollop of "flash clean and shine all purpose cleaner, lemon crisp" from Tescos and a dessert spoon of citric acid powder.....I got a bag of it from the bay but I'm sure you could get it from a super market. Brings the cases up like new! Hope this helps.

Atb

T33

On 28/03/2018 at 12:19, turbo33 said:

I have a small ultrasonic that takes about a pint. Warm water, a dollop of "flash clean and shine all purpose cleaner, lemon crisp" from Tescos and a dessert spoon of citric acid powder.....I got a bag of it from the bay but I'm sure you could get it from a super market. Brings the cases up like new! Hope this helps.

Atb

T33

Thanks for the reply will have to look into this one to I think,  

On 28/03/2018 at 12:28, Vince Green said:

It does if you leave it in too long, it a balancing act.

Wonder if  it’s down to the amount of vinegar you put in the solution as well 

Edited by silver fox 1
Missed word didn’t read right

5 hours ago, cooter said:

Very cheap using citric acid off the bay then follow up with some BC. Been using the same concoction for years and only had to replace the US cleaner recently, for a larger Chinese one off the bay.

Have a read of this thread for more info.

http://www.6mmbr.com/ultrasonic.html

Thanks for the link it certainly made interesting reading regards Silverfox 1

My mate uses Cillit Bang, the orange coloured one for 'lime & grime' as a case cleaner. Its often on offer 2 for price of 1 in Morrisons. You cut open the spray bottle it comes in and pour out the contents into a plastic coke bottle or what ever. Dilute about 6-1 . This should work well in an ultrasonic cleaner. He doesn't have an ultrasonic cleaner so he puts his cases into a wide mouth orange juice bottle about 2l in size, adds about enough mix to half fill the bottle then sits for about a half hour in front of the TV inverting the bottle end over end so the solution cascades through the cases back and forth (Forgot to say he decaps and resizes first). This in essence is doing what an ultrasonic cleaner does in a tenth of the time.

Then put a bit of rag over the neck of the bottle and pours out the solution and save it for the next batch, it doesn't appear to matter how dirty it gets. Leave it to stand and most of the dirt settles out in 48 hours.

Tips the cases into his wife's colander when she is not looking (or you can buy one from Poundland for, let me guess, £1?)

Then a good wash under the cold tap and invert the cases on a piece of polystyrene foam  packaging (or a bit of wood) with 100 pins (or nails) stuck in it 10 rows of 10, just to stop them falling over.  When they are dry the cases look better than they did new 

Edited by Vince Green

15 hours ago, Vince Green said:

My mate uses Cillit Bang, the orange coloured one for 'lime & grime' as a case cleaner. Its often on offer 2 for price of 1 in Morrisons. You cut open the spray bottle it comes in and pour out the contents into a plastic coke bottle or what ever. Dilute about 6-1 . This should work well in an ultrasonic cleaner. He doesn't have an ultrasonic cleaner so he puts his cases into a wide mouth orange juice bottle about 2l in size, adds about enough mix to half fill the bottle then sits for about a half hour in front of the TV inverting the bottle end over end so the solution cascades through the cases back and forth (Forgot to say he decaps and resizes first). This in essence is doing what an ultrasonic cleaner does in a tenth of the time.

Then put a bit of rag over the neck of the bottle and pours out the solution and save it for the next batch, it doesn't appear to matter how dirty it gets. Leave it to stand and most of the dirt settles out in 48 hours.

Tips the cases into his wife's colander when she is not looking (or you can buy one from Poundland for, let me guess, £1?)

Then a good wash under the cold tap and invert the cases on a piece of polystyrene foam  packaging (or a bit of wood) with 100 pins (or nails) stuck in it 10 rows of 10, just to stop them falling over.  When they are dry the cases look better than they did new 

I'll have to try that. To dry my cases, I put them neck down into the slots of a house radiator, whcih dry's them nicely.

On 02/04/2018 at 22:04, Vince Green said:

Thanks for that Vince G  definitely going to try this,  I do my cases on the radiator as well  leave them overnight   It dries them well and  mrs hasn’t moaned at me yet 

On 05/04/2018 at 13:31, Rem said:

I used some of the YouTube guides on mixes when i had mine to good effect, but went back to tumber for a more chuck in and leave approach, only downside is it doesnt do the primer pockets

I sometimes use both methods. Sonic clean first, using Birchwood Casey brass case cleaner, then tumble them using treated media.