Ultrasonic cleaner

Well when shopping Friday I picked up some Sillett bang  lime and grimeTo play with over the weekend, and I must say I’ve had some very good results with it  get  The cases clean inside as well,  i’m not sure what the primer pockets look like though because I haven’t   Taken the Primers out yet  but very happy with the results,  thank you to  Vince Green  for the heads up on this one ?.

2 hours ago, silver fox 1 said:

Well when shopping Friday I picked up some Sillett bang  lime and grimeTo play with over the weekend, and I must say I’ve had some very good results with it  get  The cases clean inside as well,  i’m not sure what the primer pockets look like though because I haven’t   Taken the Primers out yet  but very happy with the results,  thank you to  Vince Green  for the heads up on this one ?.

As a rule, spent primers should be removed before cleaning.

On ‎09‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 15:57, silver fox 1 said:

Glad to help, that's where these forums work very well, sharing simple knowledge

Just make sure you rinse the ultrasonic cleaner with clean water when you have finished before you put it away because Cillit Bang is corrosive, probably an idea to rinse the cases too before you put them out to dry for the same reason. 

With rifle cases I put them through the ultrasonic cleaner after I have resized them mainly to remove the resizing lubricant and do an initial  chemical clean before going into the tumbler for a final polish 

Edited by Vince Green

On 09/04/2018 at 18:10, steve_b_wales said:

As a rule, spent primers should be removed before cleaning.

I normally do remove the primer but  talking to the chap who owns my local gun shop he  does a lot of reloading he recommended to leave the primers in , Said he didn’t want to put dirty  cases  in his press, 

16 minutes ago, silver fox 1 said:

I normally do remove the primer but  talking to the chap who owns my local gun shop he  does a lot of reloading he recommended to leave the primers in , Said he didn’t want to put dirty  cases  in his press, 

I don't understand that. Leaving the primer in would mean that the primer pocket would be dirty.

1 minute ago, steve_b_wales said:

I don't understand that. Leaving the primer in would mean that the primer pocket would be dirty.

Yes point taken,  from what he said he initially cleans the brass Before sizing,  does all his case prep  then cleans his cases again before he puts them together 

Leaving primers in also means when tumbling that a lot of lead syphate (oxides) are transferred to the tumble media...NOT good for health.  A gunsmith advised me always to wear a face mask when removing cases from tumblers as the fine dust can be very high in toxins that if inhaled, are cumulative in nature due to the lead.  I've already covered the open louvred top of my tumbler to prevent the dust when tumbling for this reason and now always de-prime before tumbling.  I use an U/S cleaner after sizing and trimming/deburring to remove lube and brass fragments.  Be careful just what chemical mixes you use in an U/S cleaner as some will affect the brass, and could weaken it depending on concentration and duration.  It's advisable to rinse brass in fresh water after using these cleaning chemicals.  I can't see how mixing strong alkalies such as washing up liquid, with strong acids, such as vinegar, allows them to work as well as one or other on their own, but I'm no chemist.  Seaclean is all I've ever used and it does the job well enough.

Edited by Savhmr

5 minutes ago, Savhmr said:

Leaving primers in also means when tumbling that a lot of lead syphate (oxides) are transferred to the tumble media...NOT good for health.  A gunsmith advised me always to wear a face mask when removing cases from tumblers as the fine dust can be very high in toxins that if inhaled, are cumulative in nature due to the lead.  I've already covered the open louvred top of my tumbler to prevent the dust when tumbling for this reason and now always de-prime before tumbling.  I use an U/S cleaner after sizing and trimming/deburring to remove lube and brass fragments.  Be careful just what chemical mixes you use in an U/S cleaner as some will affect the brass, and could weaken it depending on concentration and duration.  It's advisable to rinse brass in fresh water after using these cleaning chemicals.  I can't see how mixing strong alkalies such as washing up liquid, with strong acids, such as vinegar, allows them to work as well as one or other on their own, but I'm no chemist.  Seaclean is all I've ever used and it does the job well enough.

Interesting  I think you may have a good point ,  that may be another good reason for using an ultrasonic cleaner  as all the dust would stay in the water 

11 minutes ago, silver fox 1 said:

Interesting  I think you may have a good point ,  that may be another good reason for using an ultrasonic cleaner  as all the dust would stay in the water 

Also, being a skinflint, tumbling media is not cheap so you don't want to contaminate it unnecessarily doing the heavy cleaning.

Edited by Vince Green

You can get fairly cheap corn cob media via Ebay (don't buy it at gunshops where you'll be ripped off!) and from some pet supplies places where it and walnut media are both used in some bedding materials.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SAND-BLASTING-SHOT-BLASTING-TUMBLING-POLISHING-CORN-COB-GRIT-MEDIA-10-14-5kg/302618760927?hash=item46757bd6df:g:5OkAAOSwVFlT2PQQ