Home made bsa bullpup

Ultrastu

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got it in the stock today and shooting.

I even managed to zero it before dark .

Really pleased with it so far .

The stock is a bit short in the pull at 12 inches.but if i make it longer my face comes off the breech which isnt good .

Though at this length is perfect for the kids .the trigger is a touch close to the vertical pistol grip for my hands but again ideal for the kids.

Its very light for what it is .

Its even over 1/2 a kilo lighter than a bsa ultra .which given the longer barrel and air tube im very pleased with .

Cheers  stu 

IMG_20200530_222724.jpg

IMG_20200530_222806.jpg

IMG_20200530_222856.jpg

With the silencer off its 605 mm from muzzle to top of comb.

And 615 to bottom of comb.

So just legal .and 705 mm with the silencer on .

Interesting project and good to see it finished 👍

I like the concept of bullpups but never held one with great ergonomics. 3D printing could be a game changer. I would be interested in a 3D printed bullpup stock for my S410 when my boys are a little older. Perhaps with barrel clamps for the scope, as there is close to zero recoil it should hold zero. 

Thanks very much .

I took it down the farm this afternoon as is .just to zero it and find its fave pellet turns out its jsb exact (no suprise ) 

It was shooting easy 15mm groups at 35 yds and the trigger although there is a touch of creep in the second stage-  its so little as to not be a worry .see the group  sizes above .

The stock needs a bit of shaping yet and then a paint job and it will be done  .

Oh and i got 75 shots from 200 bar also 

Double bonus .

6 hours ago, clangerman said:

what a nice job you made of it well done a bull pup would really suit me but I just can’t get over the ugly look of them 

How do you feel about the looks of my creation .? Be honest im a big boy and can take some criticism. 

As for looks Stu, as you did invite comment, a bit chunky for my taste but each to their own. Is the bracing piece behind the pistol grip necessary for strength or for balance? I would also shave back the lump in front of the trigger and thin the fore end. Just my personal taste but commendation for creating a working bullpup. 👍

Thanks for the comments .

Yeah i was also looking at the fore end thinking i could loose a bit of depth.

I like the small lump forward of the trigger same as on the wildcat and p15 and other pups  

The rear section below the bolt is where the other trigger is so cant be any smaller .

The stem to the back of the pistol grip could be a bit thinner i suppose .but im using idigbo wood  and its not the strongest  of species. Though very light .it needs the size for strength .

As far as painting v stain and oil .

The wood is easily dented and scratched. So the paint Works better at protecting it than oil .

51 minutes ago, Demonic69 said:

Show us the business side, you know you want to

I dont understand this ??

2 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

This is the only shot i have of the other side  before i fitted the butt pad and its weight with scope 

Screenshot_20200601-132331.png

The trigger linkage is all hidden inside  

Looks good from both sides!

I was going to bullpup a Mosin a few yeas back, had a design for a straight pull cocking lever that would operate the original bolt. Ended up selling the gun before things got silly :)

As others have said it looks good, but could go on a little diet. Depends if oiled or painted. Visually on MK2 I would align the line of the thumb hole and the stock drop. If painted I think the overall silhouette suits a matt black/olive for a ‘modern’ feel. 

I know what you mean about a bit chunky .

Thing is this gun is really small and the wood is actually really small as is  .

If i slim it down more for asthetics  it could possibly loose its ergonomics

Which are working pretty well for me and my boy at the mo .

He had a play and said it feels perfect for him even as a left hooker   

Screenshot_20200601-203038.jpg

My boy is only 11 and a bit small for his age too .

He is quite excited by it .

Looking forward to getting him out on the stubbles later in the year after pige

This pup will be spot on for him..as long as we can figure out a rest for the forend to take the weight 

One of the big disadvantages of bullpups is that they usually have a very high  barrel bore to  scope line distance

Often around  2.5  - 3 inches high.

This can make short range shots  very hard to judge holdover .making them poor for ratting and far from idea for hft

Though the high sope line can help with long range shots around 40 yds plus.

This pup has only a 2 inch high scope /bore line .which is only just higher than a standard  rifle set up at 1.6 - 1.8 inches. This is due to the excellent low breech  of the bsa scorpion. 

Making this gun a real all rounder and perfect for a walk around the farm yard and even back garden duties.