Alliant Steel Powder

Was just about to reply been in work all day yeah it is 1400 fps plus I have tried it with 37grain and went back to 36 for me the 37 grain didn't have a even spread and wasn't as tight as I like it. I have loaded that load with 4s 2s 1s b and bbs I have stuck with 2s as for me they will do everything I need and are more than capable of killing geese out to 45 50 yards aswell as duck 

On 30/03/2018 at 22:26, figgy said:

Cheers hopefully I will get to load a few to try out over the Easter Break in 35, 36, & 37 grains of steel powder with B.B. and BBB just to see what the shoot like. 

Thanks for all your replies so far :friends:

Hi Figgy

How did you get on loading and testing over the weekend? I'm interested to know your thoughts before I try out a similar thing for next season.  What gun do you intend to shoot the shells through?

Thanks

I loaded them but never got to test them weather wasn't good enough to put pattern paper out. but i loaded 30 carts in batches of five or tens different wads with varying powder charges from 35 grains to 37 grains and shot from 34 to 36 gram in shot from 1 to BBB and a few duplex loads to try. all written on the cases so i know which is which.

The used cases crimped better than the new Cheddite ones so i am, going to get a spinner to tidy the tops up.

I cant recommend loading your own for wildfowling non toxic  enough, i now can load whatever i want and will settle on a Holy Grail load as others have done. I will be looking into HW13 in future when i can find a supplier as Bucks Run site is not the best.

5 hours ago, figgy said:

I loaded them but never got to test them weather wasn't good enough to put pattern paper out. but i loaded 30 carts in batches of five or tens different wads with varying powder charges from 35 grains to 37 grains and shot from 34 to 36 gram in shot from 1 to BBB and a few duplex loads to try. all written on the cases so i know which is which.

The used cases crimped better than the new Cheddite ones so i am, going to get a spinner to tidy the tops up.

I cant recommend loading your own for wildfowling non toxic  enough, i now can load whatever i want and will settle on a Holy Grail load as others have done. I will be looking into HW13 in future when i can find a supplier as Bucks Run site is not the best.

Bucks run may be the only place you will find Hw13. Don't look on their website, phone them if you want something.

6 hours ago, figgy said:

Cheers motty i will when ready to order some

Might be worth asking on here before you do Figgy in case someone else is, one chap off here kindly sold me some when it arrived, he never offered me a cup of tea but then again he is a wildfowler. :lol:

One thing to try is a 'wanted' add and/or private message a few known fowlers on here. When you do get hw13, don't count how many you load up as you'll end up crying your eyes out if you miss knowing the cost. :lol:

Edited by Ttfjlc

55 minutes ago, Ttfjlc said:

Might be worth asking on here before you do Figgy in case someone else is, one chap off here kindly sold me some when it arrived, he never offered me a cup of tea but then again he is a wildfowler. 

I do apologise! I make a pretty good cup of tea, too! :lol:

23 hours ago, figgy said:

Were these cases the Eley lightning you mentioned? I take it that the B&P wads are suitable for these. Hope this is the case as we have a good supply of these used cases in our shoot bin. Sorry my questions & thanks for your help.

9 hours ago, Ttfjlc said:

Well Motty your anonymity has now gone! :lol: telling me you make a good cup of tea too is just rubbing salt in the wound! :lol::good:

I shoot with him and he has never made me a cup of tea,I on the other hand have made him breakfast several times with loads of coffee and Tea,so your not alone.

10 hours ago, muncher said:

I shoot with him and he has never made me a cup of tea,I on the other hand have made him breakfast several times with loads of coffee and Tea,so your not alone.

Phew that makes me feel a little better, I just thought it was because I was from 'the other side' of sutton bridge. :lol:

On 05/04/2018 at 17:50, eric lee said:

Eley Lightning do crimp well as do Cheditte with the Bn2 spinner, watch Cx2000 primers in the Eley cases,tend to be a slack fit, primer pocket reconditioner or superglue are your friend!

WP_20180405_17_23_01_Pro.gif

Yes they are slack but I found cutting small strips of paper and placing a strip over the primer hole a push the primer in a bit by hand then all the way with the press solved this no need to buy a pocket conditioner 

• 5 months later...
On 30/03/2018 at 06:11, hatsanmad said:

Figgy I load a 3inch 36gram with a steel and its a cracking little load. 

I load it at

36grain a steel 

B&P s35 

3inch cheddite 

Cx2000 

36gram steel shot 

Crimp finish 

I have used this load the majority of the season gone I know a few guys that load the same load but use 37grain of powder instead hope this helps 

Just out of interest as i have just loaded a batch of these which choke do most use ? i have an sx3 but only 1/4 choke and full choke should i get something inbetween .I will be using on sensible foreshore geese ranges 45yards would be a longshot for me .

Try patterning both but at 45 50 yards I would use the full choke.  1/4 is good over splashes to 30 yards. I had a sx3 and used a kicks Highflyer but now I’m using Briley extended half and. Xtra full. 

Half for ducks and if any geese come in closer and xtra full for foreshore ranges with B.B. and BBB shot carts. 

Edited by figgy

• 2 months later...
On 30/03/2018 at 06:11, hatsanmad said:

Figgy I load a 3inch 36gram with a steel and its a cracking little load. 

I load it at

36grain a steel 

B&P s35 

3inch cheddite 

Cx2000 

36gram steel shot 

Crimp finish 

I have used this load the majority of the season gone I know a few guys that load the same load but use 37grain of powder instead hope this helps 

I used this load for the first time on geese last week and it is brilliant thankyou all for posting it .( out of interest does anyone what pressure it runs at )

On 28/03/2018 at 16:48, figgy said:

Cookoff013 i was thinking of using CX2000 primers with  steel powder should be hot enough.

What about cases and wads they list on the alliant site what can we substitute for them?

i started to load cx2000 primers in eley pigeon select cases,but couldn,t primers were falling out,too small.