What Airgun

Ian North Wales

Hi all, I'm sure this has been covered before but the threads I've seen are all aimed at upgrading kids guns etc in to target grade as where all i want is a nice cheap air rile for my 7 year old.

Don't mind paying up to £100 and i'm not too bothered about accuracy really all i need is a nice small gun that a kid can handle and learn gun safety. i'll only be shooting 10 meters and mostly at tin cans , I've seen a STOEGER X3 that's nice but have not shot with airguns for years so would really like some advise please.

Hi Guys thanks for all the reply's, the Weihrach HW30 is a little expensive as i have no idea if my boy will like shooting or not. i'm not too keen on the Crosman Ratcatcher as its powered off those CO2 canisters and I've never really had much experience with them.

I'll keep looking and see if i can find something simple and easy to use (learn) with. I'm sure i'm not the only parent who wants to introduce his children to airguning? There must be a sub £100 gun that is suitable for kids? 

3 hours ago, Ian North Wales said:

Hi Guys thanks for all the reply's, the Weihrach HW30 is a little expensive as i have no idea if my boy will like shooting or not. i'm not too keen on the Crosman Ratcatcher as its powered off those CO2 canisters and I've never really had much experience with them.

I'll keep looking and see if i can find something simple and easy to use (learn) with. I'm sure i'm not the only parent who wants to introduce his children to airguning? There must be a sub £100 gun that is suitable for kids? 

As I mentioned earlier, Hatsan Striker 1000 S. £90 in Sportsman Guncentre. A mate of mine bought one for his 11 year old grandson, and he said it was good value for money.

I've had a hatsan 1000s and at 15 stone and 6 foot tall I found it a little heavy really. A 7 year old will struggle somewhat. Not that they aren' good guns. Just not for a young boy. 

If it' 10 metres tin can plinking then there are rifles by daisy and crossman  that fire bbs and fit the bill or are multi pumps and light as a feather. Nothing special but good for the principles of shooting and good fun.

The daisy red ryder at 43 quid and weighing 2.2 lbs from pellpax as an example. 

Edited by GingerCat
Addition

start with what most of us did and are still going strong 

hw30 or 25

bsa meteor 

both sub £100, small and light enough for what you need. Hw won't lose its value either, but I just bought a mk4 meteor for £40. With the other £60 you could get a cheap scope, pellet trap and pellets for months:good:

I would get a Daisy Eagle or Crosman 760, they probably only weigh a couple of pounds and are virtually recoiless. Also you can vary the power, up to quite a healthy velocity. Bet the Crosman Ratcatcher would be good too.

The Hw25 and hw30 though well made are still way too big and heavy for a 7 year old to handle safely and learn proper gun handling. Or any of the junior springers for that matter. Plus the trigger on the Hw25 is plain nasty with a very heavy non adjustable pull - even an adult has to tug on it and you have no idea when its going to fire.

I tried a few out on my nipper and the Daisy Eagle was the safest and easiest to handle and shoot accurately. He was bowling cans over at a fair range in no time. It is pretty accurate with a 4x20 scope.

Edited by morgan

+1 to the Ratcatcher idea. Yes they use Co2 but when that's purchased unbranded in bulk (see JRamsbottom for this) it's not that expensive.

They are simple, easily modified to suit requirements and there is no cocking effort like spring guns have. The guns themselves are also incredibly light. Might be ideal for a younger shooter. I purchased and modified mine when I had an injury from work which meant I couldn't handle the weight/cocking action of my springers. Still a big fan of the thing.

So i've bee amazed at the response, i want to thank everyone for there ideas.

I like the Gamo junior hunter but i think it might be a little big so im going to look for the Crosman 760. I have seen a few you tube videos and it looks ok for a young lad to start with.

Hopefully ill have soom feed back on how the boy is getting on soon!  

On ‎04‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 16:54, Ultrastu said:

They are fine as long as you dont mind cutting down the  stock to reduce the length of pull from 16 inches (god knows who has arms that long) to a more reasonable 10 - 12 inches for kids .ps standard rifle is 13.5 inch 

Is that the length of the crossman stu? Always thought they were fairly small?

been reading with interest as its a question i was thinking about, kind if waiting till little lads older but might be a good excuse for a rat catcher ? buy two stocks one for me one for them.

When I was 7 my dad taught me with a bsa gold star. I could hardly lift the thing, then a meteor came my way and it was definitely easy to use then a lightning with a gas ram instead of a spring and that was great....... but now being 26 i can look back and say that not the weight or power were actually important. The most disheartening thing all the time I have been shooting is accuracy. I was so unhappy knowing that even if I got everything perfect 10 times in a row my groups could still be poor if the gun was poor. Everyone is different so I couldn’t say what will motivate you’re lad, but if I knew what I knew now.... I would get the most accurate gun possible and shoot from a rest if I couldn’t hold it. I have a Bowkett tuned bsa super 10 that I love and a kalibre kricket. Still striving for more accuracy nearly 10 years later but now it’s me and not the gun ?

18 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Is that the length of the crossman stu? Always thought they were fairly small?

been reading with interest as its a question i was thinking about, kind if waiting till little lads older but might be a good excuse for a rat catcher ? buy two stocks one for me one for them.

Yes they are that long .

As a gun for kids the stock and lop.is impossible to get behind .