What to do when killed?

atyl1972

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/28/2018 at 22:11, 39TDS said:

Serious answer. If the farmer is happy with it just leave them where they fall, ignore the muppets that don't know what pest control means.

As for silage, there is a serious risk of the cows getting poisoned by animal carcases ending up in the silage. At the very least you should remove them from the field and put under a hedge, burying is obviously better still.

Spot on! As above it's called pest control, I try to give what I can away if not it's used as fox bait.  

There is a lot of misunderstanding on here, which is worrying.  It’s encumbant on everyone to protect the future of the hobby and people posting ‘ screw the regulations I kill animals for fun in contravention of wildlife acts’ isn’t going to help, there is enough pressure from anti as it is.

in simple terms, all wildlife is protected to varying degrees and the general licence is granted on mass to allow the reduction of Vermin and pests for various reasons.  These reasons need to be the rationale for controlling the pests, not necessarily at the time of control.

its pretty straight forward, everyone should be aware of it and if caught in breach should expect no sympathy, to be ignorant is no excuse and is a risk to shooting

Edited by PPP

33 minutes ago, PPP said:

There is a lot of misunderstanding on here, which is worrying.  It’s encumbant on everyone to protect the future of the hobby and people posting ‘ screw the regulations I kill animals for fun in contravention of wildlife acts’ isn’t going to help, there is enough pressure from anti as it is.

in simple terms, all wildlife is protected to varying degrees and the general licence is granted on mass to allow the reduction of Vermin and pests for various reasons.  These reasons need to be the rationale for controlling the pests, not necessarily at the time of control.

its pretty straight forward, everyone should be aware of it and if caught in breach should expect no sympathy, to be ignorant is no excuse and is a risk to shooting

I would agree. 

People have been prosecuted for being in breech of the general licence in the past. 

I can remember an old guy who was prosecuted for shooting starlings in his back garden with his air rifle (they were on the GL at the time.) 

PPP is correct in that in killing any species on the general licence you must comply to the terms of the licence otherwise you are in contravention of the Wildlife and Countryside act and could (although unlikely but it had happened) be prosecuted accordingly. 

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/prevent-wild-birds-damaging-your-land-farm-or-business#general-licences

It's not hard to comply with the GL especially in the case of woodpigeons but flagrantly saying you only shoot a species for enjoyment is a little irresponsible. Like with all the things we do there are organisations out there who seek to stop us, all of us from doing what we do. Everything we do. 

How to Oppose Shooting: A Practical Guide - ...
PDFhttps://www.animalaid.org.uk › 2016/10

They are not the only ones, them and others like them have the motivation, political clout and funding to drive prosecutions. 

:lol::lol::lol:

Crumbs, this has turned into a real song and dance.   Some interesting words, turns of phrase, ignorance, bravado and attitudes here. 

I am a Pest Controller, that is not to say I don't find my job challenging and rewarding (at times), but I sure as hell don't eat or sell everything I shoot, neither do I give all the balance away! What I do endeavour to do is stay on the right side of Legislation, GL and assorted Guidance and juggle that with the interests/attitudes of the client.

Despite what many may think/suggest, there is opportunity to dispose of quarry by nature itself, specific disposal sites throughout the UK, incineration, by simply putting some in your own rubbish bin, etc, etc, as well as the Game dealer, gifting it, sanctuaries, etc etc., it all comes down to the quarry and specific situation.

:good:

Edited by Dekers

4 hours ago, ClemFandango said:

PPP is correct in that in killing any species on the general licence you must comply to the terms of the licence otherwise you are in contravention of the Wildlife and Countryside act and could (although unlikely but it had happened) be prosecuted accordingly. 

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/prevent-wild-birds-damaging-your-land-farm-or-business#general-licences

It's not hard to comply with the GL especially in the case of woodpigeons but flagrantly saying you only shoot a species for enjoyment is a little irresponsible. Like with all the things we do there are organisations out there who seek to stop us, all of us from doing what we do. Everything we do. 

How to Oppose Shooting: A Practical Guide - ...
PDFhttps://www.animalaid.org.uk › 2016/10

They are not the only ones, them and others like them have the motivation, political clout and funding to drive prosecutions. 

Some points here probably aimed at me. I'm not irresponsible, just truthful. I kill pests because I enjoy it. The reason I am allowed to do so is because I am subsequently controlling said pests.

How many people on this forum kill pests just to control them and not for the pleasure? Very few, I'd wager!

1 hour ago, motty said:

Some points here probably aimed at me. I'm not irresponsible, just truthful. I kill pests because I enjoy it. The reason I am allowed to do so is because I am subsequently controlling said pests.

How many people on this forum kill pests just to control them and not for the pleasure? Very few, I'd wager!

This. I couldn't agree more. I ( and all my mates without exception ) don't see this as a chore; we thoroughly enjoy it. I will take time off work at my own expense to decoy pigeons, crows and bolt rabbits if I have the chance; I can't get enough of it. If you're not enjoying it and not employed to do it, then why are you doing it?  It really is that simple.

Also, we will take all the meat we can use from pigeons, rabbits etc, but corvids and those we can't use are collected and thrown in the hedge bottom where the landowner has said to leave them. We've even left them on stubbles to be 'ploughed in' on the landowners say so. 

Guys, to be clear, enjoying pest control where you are controlling pest for reasons stated under GL is cool, go for it, you are doing good in the world and enjoying at the same time, what could be better?

Blasting things to bits for fun and for the hell of it could land you and the hobby of legitimate pest control in hot water.

4 hours ago, motty said:

Not directly aimed at you, you were probably edge of the pattern. 

There is nothing wrong with enjoying the job, it wouldn't get done to anything like the level it does and needs to be done if it was a boring chore. 

like I said the General Licence is easy to comply with and you and others I have no doubt are in full compliance. 

Your explanation there is fair enough.