What to do when killed?

atyl1972

Hey guys, I'll be soon looking for some permissions in the Cornwall area once I get acquainted with my new gun on the ranges, what I want to know is that I won't take the rabbits home to eat, so where do you guys dispatch of them once killed, this question also goes for squirrels and rats, apart from the eating part obviously, lol:/

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest stevo

You need to be finding a game dealer or other suitable outlets . ( pubs , falconers, friends ect ect ) ask about by the sounds of it you have plenty of time to get your end in order , 

the rats your have to dispose of those yourself of course. 

If it turns out that you do not find an outlet for your shot quarry . Which I find to believe if you put the effort in . 

But if you are struggling may I suggest just sticking to the ranges . And not shooting just for the sake of killing summut. 

good luck in your quest ?

Edited by stevo

16 minutes ago, atyl1972 said:

Hey guys, I'll be soon looking for some permissions in the Cornwall area once I get acquainted with my new gun on the ranges, what I want to know is that I won't take the rabbits home to eat, so where do you guys dispatch of them once killed, this question also goes for squirrels and rats, apart from the eating part obviously, lol

If you're not taking anything home you really should be asking the landowner what he wants doing with them, if you have no other outlet, I should have added. 

Edited by Scully

With the high number of buzzards and now red kites starting to appear I always lay out my squirrels and rabbits so they can be seen and hopefully the plan is a buzzard eats one of them and not a pheasant or partridge.  Saw 2 buzzards in an oak tree overlooking a pheasnt feed ride where there is a good showing of hen birds, so i laid three squirrels out in the field for them to see.  Other than that as siggested by stevo.  Pity your not closer to B'ham because Ollie would have'em for his ferrets.

24 minutes ago, Scully said:

If you're not taking anything home you really should be asking the landowner what he wants doing with them, if you have no other outlet, I should have added. 

Yeah I gathered the questions needed for the farmer what he wants shooting and not shooting, just wondered after all other scenarios and you're left with the game, what do you do with them if you don't intend to take home. 

41 minutes ago, atyl1972 said:

Yeah I gathered the questions needed for the farmer what he wants shooting and not shooting, just wondered after all other scenarios and you're left with the game, what do you do with them if you don't intend to take home. 

Leave it alone to be shot by someone who appreciates it

atyl1972  I thought your question was very sensible.  I don't eat squirrel or rabbit, but I HAVE to shoot a lot.   I don't eat barn pigeons, but again I don't eat barn pigeons and have shot over 150 in the last three months,  I also shoot a fair few foxes but I don't eat foxes and I could go on, so yes you were correct in asking the question. How to dispose of the animal/bird after being shot.  Note that all shot animals/birds offered to sanctuaries or hawk enthusiasts must not be shot with lead. Steel yes...don't know about bismuth.  It is obvious from your question that you wish to see them disposed of in the best way possible and hope that some of us have given you some ideas.

Edited by Walker570

Just now, Walker570 said:

atyl1972  I thought your question was very sensible.  I don't eat squirrel or rabbit, but I HAVE to shoot a lot.   I don't eat barn pigeons, but again I don't eat barn pigeons and have shot over 150 in the last three months,  I also shoot a fair few foxes but I don't eat foxes and I could go on, so yes you were correct in asking the question. How to despose of the animal/bird after being shot.  Note that all shot animals/birds offered to sanctuaries or hawk enthusiasts must not be shot with lead. Steel yes...don't know about bismuth.  It is obvious from your question that you wish to see them disposed of in the best way possible and hope that some of us have given you some ideas.

This is the kind of response that is required and appreciated by new shooters to the sport, and then an idiot like that tries to make you feel small and you're doing something wrong by not following the "herd", some of the very best shooters/hunters in the sport do not eat their quarry, and yes some have been helpful, thank you.

2 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

Each to there own but it does seem a waste not to atleast be sticking a few in the oven. 

Would love to be in a position like yours, bunnies are so light on the ground here I'm pretty selective over what I take. 

I think when the time comes, I'll leave the eating to the farmers or the bird sanctuary, for friends if they like that sort of thing, lol.

7 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

atyl1972  I thought your question was very sensible.  I don't eat squirrel or rabbit, but I HAVE to shoot a lot.   I don't eat barn pigeons, but again I don't eat barn pigeons and have shot over 150 in the last three months,  I also shoot a fair few foxes but I don't eat foxes and I could go on, so yes you were correct in asking the question. How to dispose of the animal/bird after being shot.  Note that all shot animals/birds offered to sanctuaries or hawk enthusiasts must not be shot with lead. Steel yes...don't know about bismuth.  It is obvious from your question that you wish to see them disposed of in the best way possible and hope that some of us have given you some ideas.

He asked specifically to game by which I assumed means rabbits and squirrels, I hope no one is eating Foxes.. sounds like a recipe for crash weight loss...

3 minutes ago, atyl1972 said:

This is the kind of response that is required and appreciated by new shooters to the sport, and then an idiot like that tries to make you feel small and you're doing something wrong by not following the "herd", some of the very best shooters/hunters in the sport do not eat their quarry, and yes some have been helpful, thank you.

I think when the time comes, I'll leave the eating to the farmers or the bird sanctuary, for friends if they like that sort of thing, lol.

I would suggest you don’t refer to people as idiots and muppets, you might get more help.  Out of interest, why aren’t you going to eat them? Which best hunters don’t eat edible quarry?

Edited by PPP

4 minutes ago, PPP said:

He asked specifically to game by which I assumed means rabbits and squirrels, I hope no one is eating Foxes.. sounds like a recipe for crash weight loss...

I would suggest you don’t refer to people as idiots and muppets, you might get more help.  Out of interest, why aren’t you going to eat them? Which best hunters don’t eat edible quarry?

Not sure George digweed eats all he's..... 

Recipe for broken teeth ? 

atyl1972 .... With you being a new shooter , what sort of numbers are you hoping to get ? , if you are shooting any amount of saleable Rabbits I would enquire at your local butchers or pubs that sell meals or stick them in a freezer and take to a game dealer , if your only getting small numbers of vermin then leave them in the farms rubbish pit or under a hedge for the foxes.

I daresay the majority of pigeon shooters on the forum who shoots med / large numbers of pigeons put them in the freezer or find an outlet for whatever they shoot , no way could they eat every one they shot even if they ate them three times a day , seven days a week .

1 minute ago, marsh man said:

atyl1972 .... With you being a new shooter , what sort of numbers are you hoping to get ? , if you are shooting any amount of saleable Rabbits I would enquire at your local butchers or pubs that sell meals or stick them in a freezer and take to a game dealer , if your only getting small numbers of vermin then leave them in the farms rubbish pit or under a hedge for the foxes.

I daresay the majority of pigeon shooters on the forum who shoots med / large numbers of pigeons put them in the freezer or find an outlet for whatever they shoot , no way could they eat every one they shot even if they ate them three times a day , seven days a week .

As in OP, I am new so going to get used to my gun on the range until I feel confident enough that I can kill quarry competently, even if I get a few pigeons, or a rabbit or 2 I'm happy, I'm easily pleased and would enjoy simply helping farmers out, helping livery's out and just keeping numbers down for pests, this is a new hobby that I know I will enjoy, I have already had a lot of support from club members which makes me confident, I'm a mature guy so not stupid and ignorant to do what I shouldn't be, cheers.

30 minutes ago, atyl1972 said:

As in OP, I am new so going to get used to my gun on the range until I feel confident enough that I can kill quarry competently, even if I get a few pigeons, or a rabbit or 2 I'm happy, I'm easily pleased and would enjoy simply helping farmers out, helping livery's out and just keeping numbers down for pests, this is a new hobby that I know I will enjoy, I have already had a lot of support from club members which makes me confident, I'm a mature guy so not stupid and ignorant to do what I shouldn't be, cheers.

Just a note of advice, shooting pigeons for sport will put you in violation of the general licence, it’s worth a read if you aren’t familiar

2 minutes ago, Luckyshot said:

If its ok with farmer and you dont want to keep it leave them where they fall, thats what ive done for the last few years and my farmers are fine with it.

Yes, one or two farmers have said the same to me already, god that "guy" cannot help himself can he, is he the ceo of BASC?

Generally round me you can expect around £1 a rabbit at the butchers and all you have to do is paunch them: not the nicest job but with a latex glove and when done in the field its only a 30 second job and its not too bad- plus it goes towards the cost of ammunition for whatever you're  using, and makes me feel better about shooting.

Squirrels wise leave them as they drop unless your butcher will take them or the gamekeeper wants them to bait larson traps or foxes ect.

Was shooting squirrels yesterday and shoot the one with the airgun and it ran into the dray before giving out. Poked the dray to check that she was dead and she feel out stone dead and then had to kill two babies that fell out of the dray. Only about a week old- still hairless ect.- not a nice job but I kill squirrels because then need killing for pest control. With rabbits at this time of year I am very selective as not to leave kits underground to stave to death.

Edited by SurreySquireler

7 minutes ago, atyl1972 said:

Yes, one or two farmers have said the same to me already, god that "guy" cannot help himself can he, is he the ceo of BASC?

If you don't like the advice just ignore it, he is only telling you the truth, shooting pigeons is supposed to be about crop protection, doesn't mean you can't enjoy being out in the field shooting though.

Just now, Mice! said:

If you don't like the advice just ignore it, he is only telling you the truth, shooting pigeons is supposed to be about crop protection, doesn't mean you can't enjoy being out in the field shooting though.

that is what I meant not to be a sport, but pst control, see I am new I make mistakes :lol:

4 minutes ago, SurreySquireler said:

Generally round me you can expect around £1 a rabbit at the butchers and all you have to do is paunch them: not the nicest job but with a latex glove and when done in the field its only a 30 second job and its not too bad- plus it goes towards the cost of ammunition for whatever you're  using, and makes me feel better about shooting.

Squirrels wise leave them as they drop unless your butcher will take them or the gamekeeper wants them to bait larson traps of foxes ect.

Was shooting squirrels yesterday and shoot the one with the airgun and it ran into the dray before giving out. Poked the dray to check that she was dead and she feel out stone dead and then had to kill two babies that fell out of the dray. Only about a week old- still hairless ect.- not a nice job but I kill squirrels because then need killing for pest control. With rabbits at this time of year I am very selective as not to leave kits underground to stave to death.

bloody ell, a £1 is good for a rabbit fair play, better than using them as bait for birds when paunched, thanks for the advice

3 minutes ago, atyl1972 said:

better than using them as bait for birds when paunched

If you want to bait birds/foxes the paunch tipped on the ground with a squirrel or a rabbit is very effective and you can still use the rabbit after (as long as its not out for hours in the sun or being pecked at by the birds)