What to do when killed?

atyl1972

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No! No! Mice, you know full well we should not enjoy ourselves when dealing with these pests.

About 20 woodpigeons feeding on some newly opened maize silage today and magpies and about 40 chaffinches which was great to see and a carrion crow and two mallard.

The carrion crow and two magpies did not go home.  Legal to shoot the pigeons ????

Serious answer. If the farmer is happy with it just leave them where they fall, ignore the muppets that don't know what pest control means.

As for silage, there is a serious risk of the cows getting poisoned by animal carcases ending up in the silage. At the very least you should remove them from the field and put under a hedge, burying is obviously better still.

Just now, SurreySquireler said:

Well realistically who on earth is gona pull you up on it; if someone did then you could decide on one of 50 million reasons you were shooting them; eating a foodstock, causing a hygiene issue, eating a crop ect 

These birds can cause big hygiene issues thought cant they especially when feeding through silage and then defecating on it.

On 28/03/2018 at 22:09, 39TDS said:

No no, you are only allowed to shoot pigeons if they are actually caught in the act of damaging a crop.

All the time they are sat in a tree minding their own business or just flying around as they like to do they can not be shot at.

Its mad and hopefully never enforced. They could arrest just about every shooter in the country come Feburary roost shooting .

On 3/28/2018 at 21:43, SurreySquireler said:

With rabbits at this time of year I am very selective as not to leave kits underground to stave to death.

I'm not sure how you ensure the above, but it's not pest control if you're selective about which rabbits you shoot. One woman whose ground I shoot on once admitted to covering over an unearthed litter of rabbit kittens she came across on her land!  She asks me to shoot rabbits but does this! :/

I raw feed my dog and on FB there is a group for local raw feeders, one member regularly sells fresh head shot rabbits to other members. May be a worthwhile idea to see if there is a similar group covering your area

Pity you aren't closer I would happily take some rabbits and squirrels off you, I don't manage to get out now and my freezer is empty.

On ‎28‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 22:09, 39TDS said:

No no, you are only allowed to shoot pigeons if they are actually caught in the act of damaging a crop.

All the time they are sat in a tree minding their own business or just flying around as they like to do they can not be shot at.

Incorrect!

Just now, motty said:

It won't. I shoot all my pigeons because I enjoy it.

I think you mean you enjoy your hobby of controlling Vermin under the terms of the general licence, enjoyment of shooting is merely a by product.... If you are shooting birds for nothing but sport then you are not complying with general licence and are in violation of wildlife’s acts. Shooting Vermin under terms of general licence is a valuable and valid contribution to wildlife management, it’s is good that you enjoy it as it encourages you to undertake this valuable work voluntarily.

52 minutes ago, PPP said:

I think you mean you enjoy your hobby of controlling Vermin under the terms of the general licence, enjoyment of shooting is merely a by product.... If you are shooting birds for nothing but sport then you are not complying with general licence and are in violation of wildlife’s acts. Shooting Vermin under terms of general licence is a valuable and valid contribution to wildlife management, it’s is good that you enjoy it as it encourages you to undertake this valuable work voluntarily.

But I don't shoot to control pests. I shoot for sport/pleasure.

1 hour ago, PPP said:

The General Licence has nothing to do with The Wildlife & Countryside Act. First is from Brussels the second is from the UK.