Puppy hernia

Lloyd90

Was hoping to go see a litter of springer pups this weekend. Originally there were two dogs lefts although now just the one left. 

I text the bloke and he’s still available although he has said - I quote - 

Hi mate yes the white face liver dog is still here. Chipped them last night and on the vet check discovered he had a tiny hernia from where is umbilical cord was vet said it was a bit of fat come through and should go naturally. It's will not affect him in any way. So I'll put him down From £600 to £550 

any thoughts? A quick google says it’s more common in some breeds etc but I’m not sure. 

Well bred litter from FTCH x FTCH (different litter than I previously saw) 

My springer x bavarian pup had the same.

I honestly couldn't tell you if it's still there as it's never been an issue.

I have a vague recollection of the vet sorting it with a few extra stitches when she went in for something else.

Wouldn't let it stop you if the dog is the right one.

Edd

4 minutes ago, blackbird said:

If it was me I would not be asking on here, far safer asking a vet to take a look @ the pup.

He said his vet checked it I just wondered if anyone had similar. 

Google is helpful but outcomes range from ‘leave it alone it’ll be gone naturally’ to ‘it requires surgery to correct’ 

My current lab had exactly the same as a pup, it only stood out as a slight discoloration on his belly due to stretching.

Our vet looked at it and had a good feel around and was happy with it and now is only a very slight scar. It has never effected him and he's now 9 now so I wouldn't let it put you off.

Spoke direct to the Vet he said it is about 1-1.5mm in size and he described it as tiny. 

He has said he wouldnt think it is an issue and it doesn’t require any surgery, although if you had the dog castrated when old you could have it done at the same time. 

He did he they normally recommend not to breed from the dog in future as it is said to have a hereditary element. 

I spoke to many people who had experience of it and didn’t feel in this case it would be an issue 

I spoke directly to the vet who had checked it over extensively so was happy with that he said, and therefore I introduce 

Oli 

8481_E6_FD_CA25_467_C_B5_E3_1_CF7_D33_EC
BA29_FDAC_884_B_4430_B739_B96_DE426_CE16

Edited by Lloyd90