deposits on drink bottles

oowee

That’s what I was wondering too. I guess they will switch to other types of recycling.. presumably though they are funded in part by selling recycled products so does the tax payer now make up the shortfall? That bit was conveniently overlooked by press..

Having said that, a good idea and way overdue!

Where are they going to put them and who is going to pay for them are two questions that come readily to mind. The money you get back will be paid for by a surcharge when you buy the drinks but all those empty bottles are going to take up a lot of space storing them for collection.  

Edited by Vince Green

I remember the old days when you could only buy pop in glass bottles and these always had a returnable deposit on them.
No problems and the system always worked well and no rubbish all over the place as we have now.

5 minutes ago, das said:

I remember the old days when you could only buy pop in glass bottles and these always had a returnable deposit on them.
No problems and the system always worked well and no rubbish all over the place as we have now.

Yes but in those days they wanted the empties back to refill them. Life was simpler back then

We, like most other kids of our generation, used to scour the hedgerows and litterbins for bottles to recoup the returns money. I'm not sure this will apply this time however, but it would be good if it did as we may get the hedgerows and roadsides clear if there's an incentive. 

11 minutes ago, turbo33 said:

Nobody else go to the back of the offy, grab a handful of cider bottles and take them back in for the deposit.? I know, I was a horribly resourceful child?

That's exactly what we used to do!

I thought we were the only ones to think of that scam! Hah!

Beer bottles as well.  The lorry which delivered the full ones took away the empty ones for re-use.    What I would have thought to be an excellent economic system.

Blackpowder

11 hours ago, rovercoupe said:

Depends if its recycled or if its reused, in finland the bottles are heavy duty and are cleaned and re filled, still have a couple as they make great drinks bottles that you can replace the cap on when needed. 

Be careful, I know someone who drank stale water from a plastic bottle which rendered him severely ill.

Blackpowder

13 hours ago, das said:

I remember Barr bottles, back to the corner shop like you had won a prize 

16 hours ago, turbo33 said:

Nobody else go to the back of the offy, grab a handful of cider bottles and take them back in for the deposit.? I know, I was a horribly resourceful child?

Yup. But soda siphons were the most profitable. 

I agree that the plastic problem needs addressing. But as there is no market for the plastic that gets into the recycling bins at the moment. Apart from putting the cost of drinks up and filling the government coffers how would this solve anything. It will still end up in the ground as landfill never to degrade or in the incinerator polluting the air. I also do not believe it will reduce the amount of these that litter my hedgerows.