deposits on drink bottles

oowee

On 28/03/2018 at 22:25, Sciurus said:

The recycle bottles will have a single use barcode to claim the refund so unfortunately old bottles in the hedgerow are valueless (& usually full of unwanted bodily fluids!)

Problem with that is not every shop has a scanner to scan barcodes.

I like the idea but think it will be a complete pain in the bum for a small shop like i have.

On 3/28/2018 at 21:10, turbo33 said:

Nobody else go to the back of the offy, grab a handful of cider bottles and take them back in for the deposit.? I know, I was a horribly resourceful child?

When I was a licensee we regularly had our yard broken into and all the deposit bottles stolen by someone - you weren't in Northampton in the mid 90's were you!

The idea is good (it was all those years ago) but the administration promises to be achingly complicated and expensive - the paper today said the deposit machines they have in Norway cost about 20k per annum to run and maintain

As I understand it the idea is to post the bottles through a hole in the wall where a scanner works out the type of bottle/plastic and then prints out a voucher for you to use next time, so no cash involved.

No one has said what happens behind the hole in the wall, must need a large machine to sort the plastic into type and colour, cant see a small shop being able to have one with the cost and storage involved, never mind the labour when the recycle truck turns up to collect it all.

I can see people being to lazy to sort it all and dumping every thing through the hole, another problem in the making.

and if possible make a few quid while doing so?"...........:yes:

The finest exponents of that little wheeze are in my opinion the Greeks. Sailing close inshore off the coast of Attica a few years ago, I was amazed to see a big tipper lorry reverse up to a cliff edge and discharge it's cargo of rubbish, plastic bags and many many plastic bottles, down the cliff face into the sea. I altered course to avoid the resulting spreading debri field.  When I mentioned this later I was told the Greeks were getting a substantial  EU grant to clean up the  Gulf of Kolpos....apparently it is full of plastic bottles and carrier bags...:lol:  :lol:  

4 hours ago, sierra 11 said:

and if possible make a few quid while doing so?"...........:yes:

The finest exponents of that little wheeze are in my opinion the Greeks. Sailing close inshore off the coast of Attica a few years ago, I was amazed to see a big tipper lorry reverse up to a cliff edge and discharge it's cargo of rubbish, plastic bags and many many plastic bottles, down the cliff face into the sea. I altered course to avoid the resulting spreading debri field.  When I mentioned this later I was told the Greeks were getting a substantial  EU grant to clean up the  Gulf of Kolpos....apparently it is full of plastic bottles and carrier bags...:lol:  :lol:  

Superb. Nice to see them getting a bit of a return on something, the way they have been fitted up financially by the big bunch is nothing short of modern slavery? Never ever a likelihood of being able to pay off their debts?

Well this will probably have the usual unintended consequences that no one in government will think of. Over in the US of A a few cities introduced soda taxes on sugary drinks because you know the children and all that. Nothing at all to do with the cities being in the financial toilet nonononono. Anyway they were expecting a big windfall but it never happened because the tax made drinks that expensive that people stopped buying them or they went out of town to different tax free cities. End result job losses due to reduced sales and no extra income for the cities. I fully expect bottled drink sales to drop with the recycle tax and our soon to be introduced sugar tax. The government loves to think of new and exciting ways to separate us from our cash.