More Semi autos ? Or just my imagination?

Guest stevo

Guest stevo

As so far as clay shooting is concerned I’m a Trap shooter , I love my ABT . OT.and a bit of UTR . However I recently bought what I think is a great beretta semi auto for a bit of skeet and sporting/ sportrap. 

Now this may well be just my imagination or have just not been paying attention but , I’m starting to notice a hell of a lot of semi autos on the skeet and sporting side of things , which I have to admit I think it’s nice to see, as I know so many people that do have semi autos for the pigeon shooting ect ect but don’t really seem to keen on talking them on the clay shoots for what ever reason .

i was shooting on Sunday and there was threee of us shooting ABT with semi autos, blooming brilliant fun . 

So my question is , are you noticing a bit of a resurgence of the mighty semi auto at your local , or just in general? 

Guest stevo

I know what your saying but we just wait to the end of the round then pick up with magnetic stick things , takes a couple of mins while the next squad is getting ready , funny enough the trappers commented the other day that since we have been doing it , the layout is a lot cleaner as the next squad that comes on sees us semi auto boys picking our **** up so it sort of shames them do the same ? 

Not sure that I have seen more semi auto's than I would normally expect, but it seems like I have seen more that are designed to be clay bashing guns.

I have seen a few of the Beretta A400s with the raised rib and adjustable combs recently, looks a very handy bit of kit I have to say.

Guest stevo
4 minutes ago, grrclark said:

Not sure that I have seen more semi auto's than I would normally expect, but it seems like I have seen more that are designed to be clay bashing guns.

I have seen a few of the Beretta A400s with the raised rib and adjustable combs recently, looks a very handy bit of kit I have to say.

Yep I know of some of the ones your on about , the beretta one looks pretty good . The one I saw was set up like a mono trap . And the sight picture was fantastic. There was a lad on here last year who bought one and did a cracking review on it . ( be nice to hear how he got on with it ) 

i had a trip out to Orston recently and noticed a lot more than usual with semi autos, I have also noticed there is a couple of big open comps just for semi autos too . 

15 hours ago, Scully said:

Shall I set the clock running now? Tick, tick, tick.......

14 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Why, what are you expecting?

Some knucklehead posting that theyre dangerous? 

That users never pick up their empties?

Or its just simply not cool??

Guest stevo

Well me and a mate have just got back from spending the day at east of England clay shooting ground , was the first time I’ve been there since it changed hands , must say I was properly impressed ?  between the two if us we shot 358 targets over there sporting and sportrap. 

And again I saw lots and lots of people shooting semi autos . Even asked my mate if it was just my imagination, even he agreed with me . We counted 16 people ? 

there was even one bloke ( we had to turn away, bless him ) he pulled up in a new discovery, jumped out fully clad in tweed including fantastic looking 8 piece flat cap . Walked around the back , dropped the boot and was sorting his gun out for what seemed ages , then all of a sudden pulled a Winchester SX3 complete with shoulder strap and a beautiful leather cartridge motor case , slung the gun over his shoulder and walked off on the sporting with a great big silly grin on his face , a few people in the car park had a bit of a chuckle . 

I just thought , what a legend !! 

Was like a southern comfort advert . Who ever you are mate , GOOD FOR YOU ?

anyway your all be pleased to know even with that amount of semi autos on site , nobody was killed , injured, maimed . No complaints about empty cases all over the place .

just lots of people getting on and playing nicely . 

I would quite happily use a semi auto for all my shooting but game shooting it’s still a no no.

ive been thinking of getting a supernova for the marsh and trading my M2 for a Super Sport to use on clays more and can always use on ducks too if needed. 

Guest stevo

Same as you Kirk ,I wouldn’t want to use one for game mate , but for NO other reason than maintaining  a sense of tradition . But for everything else  game on , 

I have used a semi on two game days with permission of the keeper and the okay of the other guns. 

Both times they were the only gun I had available and I had been offered a lend of another gun but turned it down as I prefer to use something I am familiar with. 

To be totally honest I love shooting with my semi auto at pigeons, wildfowling, rabbits etc but it did feel out of place on a driven day.

Guest stevo
1 hour ago, grrclark said:

Out of curiosity why would you guys (Stevo & Figgy in particular) choose to shoot a semi auto all the time versus an OU?

Because there’s nothing I can’t  shoot with one , be it in the field or the clay ground , I can use them equally well . 

Last week a 91/100  ABT with the auto 

yesterday I shot some English sporting ( I’m a trap shooter, last time I shot ESP was 18 months ago ) yesterday I shot a 85.3% average with the auto 

Monday I’m off pigeon shooting weather permitting, and there won’t be a lot getting away . 

Like I say I’m a trap shooter , I have a beautiful 2017 grade 5 DT11  Trap fixed choke and fully fitted for my serious trap shooting , however I would gladly use the Auto  .I shall be using mine exclusively for sporting , sportrap , skeet, and some helice .

other reason are ......

easy to use

great fun 

Low recoil 

great sight picture 

fast in the shoulder 

also fast handling 

low cost to maintain 

and it puts a massive smile on my face every time I use it , more than a boring O/U ??

Edited by stevo

4 minutes ago, stevo said:

and it puts a massive smile on my face every time I use it , more than a boring O/U ??

No other justification required :good:

Odd as it may sound I have never really used one other than an odd shot here or there and the ones I have tried were all too flat for me.

I picked up one of those A400 Multitarget fellas, mentioned above, and it had a much better sight picture for me, but I never had a boom with it.  At some point I shall have a couple of rounds of sportrap with one and see how it feels.

Guest stevo
1 minute ago, grrclark said:

No other justification required :good:

Odd as it may sound I have never really used one other than an odd shot here or there and the ones I have tried were all too flat for me.

I picked up one of those A400 Multitarget fellas, mentioned above, and it had a much better sight picture for me, but I never had a boom with it.  At some point I shall have a couple of rounds of sportrap with one and see how it feels.

I had to adjust mine to get it shooting how I like , but it’s not the end of the world bet it took me 20 mins .

yes you really do need to have a go on the sportrap with one , as soon  as you get in that cage and powder your first target your be grinning like a mad man ? 

21 minutes ago, stevo said:

Because there’s nothing I can’t  shoot with one , be it in the field or the clay ground , I can use them equally well . 

Last week a 91/100  ABT with the auto 

yesterday I shot some English sporting ( I’m a trap shooter, last time I shot ESP was 18 months ago ) yesterday I shot a 85.3% average with the auto 

Monday I’m off pigeon shooting weather permitting, and there won’t be a lot getting away . 

Like I say I’m a trap shooter , I have a beautiful 2017 grade 5 DT11  Trap fixed choke and fully fitted for my serious trap shooting , however I would gladly use the Auto  .I shall be using mine exclusively for sporting , sportrap , skeet, and some helice .

other reason are ......

easy to use

great fun 

Low recoil 

great sight picture 

fast in the shoulder 

also fast handling 

low cost to maintain 

Don't forget the noises when loading. :good: