Crows on rain soaked grass

getthegat

We've got a grass field near my workshop, on one of my perms and in the last week I've noticed crows feeding on it. Each day the numbers are growing, now up to around 80 at any one time, but I don't know what they are eating. (I know, shoot one and find out.) The field is sodden with long strips of 2 inch deep water. I'm going to have a go at them on Saturday, but am curious if anyone could suggest what the draw may be. 

At the moment all the rooks around me are hitting grassland hard and think because the sodden wet turf is pushing up a lot of worms and grubs. Cluster flies also lay their eggs and hatch into maggots in turf so another likely food source.  I only tend to shoot rooks if they are doing damage as in some cases farmers are happy for them to pick away on their grass and of course at the moment they will be hatching and feeding young.  It's like Heathrow for rooks over my house at the moment from dawn till dusk as they fly out and then back with food to the rookery across the road.   I have no such feelings for carrions, they get hit at very opportunity.

Ok. No rooks around this particular field, all crows and Jackdaws, with the odd pigeon or two joining in. They like to sit on a nearby solar panel field, all on the fixing posts, then drift over. Tell me I'm weird, but I'd rather leave the pigeon alone at this breeding time, waiting till later in the year, but don't mind having an hour or two on the blacks. The way my luck is at the moment, I'm sure one shot will see them head for the hills, not to return, but ever hopeful..........

Sounds

13 hours ago, getthegat said:

Ok. No rooks around this particular field, all crows and Jackdaws, with the odd pigeon or two joining in. They like to sit on a nearby solar panel field, all on the fixing posts, then drift over. Tell me I'm weird, but I'd rather leave the pigeon alone at this breeding time, waiting till later in the year, but don't mind having an hour or two on the blacks. The way my luck is at the moment, I'm sure one shot will see them head for the hills, not to return, but ever hopeful..........

Sounds a bit strange to leave the pigeons alone now.

Well the morning came and it was quite good, a bit slow, but we ended up with 16 blacks and yes one pigeon, should have been more but a shoulder impingement affects my gun mount. I set up in a long swayth of 6 - 8 feet high reeds, beside a large ditch. Visibility was restricted to mainly straight up and out front so the birds were able to surprise us, coming from all directions with little or no warning. The reeds and a tree at my back was our only hide, no net or poles required. I had one full body flock decoy on a lofting pole at the top of a small tree and two other sentry's out in the watery grass with 12 shells and 3 full body pigeons. I don't think this field has been shot before, so they were not unduly gittery at first. The too many misses were mainly down to the birds being too close, with a few 40 yarders varifying this. The moderated 20 helped by not scaring others in the vacinity and the Pure Gold 28 grm 5 shot did the business when my eye was in. Sophie the faithful hound enjoyed her morning to, marking the downed birds rather than attempting pick ups; she understands the danger of a sharp beeks. After a couple hours they slowed greatly, but then it was never going to be a fast and furious flight. A good time all in all and not the one shot and they're gone as could have been the case. 

Edited by getthegat
Incorrect spelling