Lack of diversity in shooting..

PPP

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, mel b3 said:

the black guys that i shoot with would disagree with you.

Good! None of my Black friends shoot, although one fishes. I’ve only every seen one Black guy shooting (clays), just wondered if that was the norm?

1 minute ago, PPP said:

Good! None of my Black friends shoot, although one fishes. I’ve only every seen one Black guy shooting (clays), just wondered if that was the norm?

i know less black people than white people that shoot , but thats just because i know less black people in general , however , i do racially abuse my black and asian mates something awful , one black mate in particular gets double racial abuse , especially if were shooting in a posh area, ill tell him not to let anyone see his black face or the posh folks will call the police ,   he can live with the abuse , but if you ever made a derogatory comment about his ferrets , youd be spitting your teeth out lol.

Seems to be solely a white guys past time, I wonder why?

I have heard this said about motocross and other sports. I don't accept any of these generalisations and wonder why people think about their sport in terms of colour. What relevance has it?

7 hours ago, Gordon R said:

I have heard this said about motocross and other sports. I don't accept any of these generalisations and wonder why people think about their sport in terms of colour. What relevance has it?

It’s not a generalisation, it’s true.  I was just curious as it to why it isn’t as diverse as other hobbies, why isn’t  the hobby doing more to widen its appeal at a time when it’s under pressure from antis for example?  I wonder if being seen as a narrow pastime and not inclusive fuels vegetarian rage..

3 minutes ago, Seadog1408 said:

2018 and people still need to ask a question like this?

You are kind of making the same point, in 2018 with its diverse multi cultural society yet shooting does feel very inclusive

Things are massively different today to when I started in the late 70's but as ever there are several factors/reasons the most obvious being peer "presence", basically you do what your mates do so if you have no mates who shoot or fish then you're not going to bump into field sports, the exception being the super keen such as myself who will not wait for things to come by chance. Here I'm afraid we have to risk a certain amount of generalisations and stereotyping, some ethnicities are simply more gregarious and confident in their own skin (no pun intended) and will walk into any situation expecting to fit in straight away. Others are a little more delicate in nature and dare I say even timid, their route is one they'll only take as a group so opportunities become less obvious. 

I started fishing very young (both sea and coarse) at boarding school with a best mate showing me the ropes and quickly learnt that you throw fish back here :|, a much older person from overseas will find this a difficult concept to get his head around and may well never even try it as a hobby. 

The other undeniable is that hunting and the chasing of game in general is definitely a cultural thing in many countries (or not as the case maybe), this is why you'll often see Cypriots out clay shooting but rarely Arabs because the latter are more into birds of prey, things are a little different today of course but they remain under-represented. 

As for actual fieldsports where creatures are shot such as pigeon shooting and ferreting, well that's an easy one, non-indigenous people find the task of finding permission ten times as daunting as those born here. Personally I have tended to benefit from positive discrimination a tad. In the end it comes down to whether you're prepared to put yourself out, I've kept ferrets, netted, shot over them with friends, lamped rabbits with friends lurchers, lamped rabbits with airguns as well as rimfire, decoyed pigeon for over 35 years, shot clays for same, stood on driven days, been on organised vermin days, even been out on a days fishing/dredging as a clay shooting mate makes his living that way, etc, etc, . 

Edited by Hamster

Never really given it any thought to be honest although things like race or sexual preference dont really register in my mind. I shoot with like minded friends some have been indian (or Asian or whatever the pc term is) I have even shot with women....and have friends that are really foreign....like southerners. 

38 minutes ago, Hamster said:

Things are massively different today to when I started in the late 70's but as ever there are several factors/reasons the most obvious being peer "presence", basically you do what your mates do so if you have no mates who shoot or fish then you're not going to bump into field sports, the exception being the super keen such as myself who will not wait for things to come by chance. Here I'm afraid we have to risk a certain amount of generalisations and stereotyping, some ethnicities are simply more gregarious and confident in their own skin (no pun intended) and will walk into any situation expecting to fit in straight away. Others are a little more delicate in nature and dare I say even timid, their route is one they'll only take as a group so opportunities become less obvious. 

I started fishing very young (both sea and coarse) at boarding school with a best mate showing me the ropes and quickly learnt that you throw fish back here , a much older person from overseas will find this a difficult concept to get his head around and may well never even try it as a hobby. 

The other undeniable is that hunting and the chasing of game in general is definitely a cultural thing in many countries (or not as the case maybe), this is why you'll often see Cypriots out clay shooting but rarely Arabs because the latter are more into birds of prey, things are a little different today of course but they remain under-represented. 

As for actual blood sports such as pigeon shooting and ferreting, well that's an easy one, non-indigenous people find the task of finding permission ten times as daunting as those born here. Personally I have tended to benefit from positive discrimination a tad. In the end it comes down to whether you're prepared to put yourself out, I've kept ferrets, netted, shot over them with friends, lamped rabbits with friends lurchers, lamped rabbits with airguns as well as rimfire, decoyed pigeon for over 30 years, shot clays for same, stood on driven days, been on organised vermin days, even been out on a days fishing/dredging as a clay shooting mate makes his living that way, etc, etc, . 

A minor point regarding your posting, if people who participate in shooting/countryside pursuits refer to any country sports in the terminology used by antis....we are helping further their cause!

9 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

A minor point regarding your posting, if people who participate in shooting/countryside pursuits refer to any country sports in the terminology used by antis....we are helping further their cause!

Point taken. 

its a wonder in this day and age of political correctness that we are allowed to call a clay pigeon a pigeon, a one hundred bird competition must be regarded as slaughter to the left looney brigade...poor clay pigeon did nothing to deserve it...

Just now, ips said:

its a wonder in this day and age of political correctness that we are allowed to call a clay pigeon a pigeon, a one hundred bird competition must be regarded as slaughter to the left looney brigade...poor clay pigeon did nothing to deserve it...

Over the years there have been several attempts to get the CPSA to change its name.

And many years ago I was told a story of a group who turned up to champion the clay pigeon at a shoot somewhere in Hampshire, they were all rather upset about mass shooting of this none existent little bird.

4 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Over the years there have been several attempts to get the CPSA to change its name.

And many years ago I was told a story of a group who turned up to champion the clay pigeon at a shoot somewhere in Hampshire, they were all rather upset about mass shooting of this none existent little bird.

unbelievable..... I wouldn't mind but they taste terrible so not really worth shooting anyway :)