Lack of diversity in shooting..

PPP

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's shocking that there isn't a 50/50 split between black and white shooters. I think we should round up a load of black people regardless of their interest in shooting and make them go clay bashing every weekend for the sake of diversity.

I hate the whole idea of diversity as the word is being used nowadays. Surely counting people by the colour of their faces is actually worse than the racism the "diversity police" are trying to suggest.

3 minutes ago, walshie said:

It's shocking that there isn't a 50/50 split between black and white shooters. I think we should round up a load of black people regardless of their interest in shooting and make them go clay bashing every weekend for the sake of diversity.

I hate the whole idea of diversity as the word is being used nowadays. Surely counting people by the colour of their faces is actually worse than the racism the "diversity police" are trying to suggest.

While you are at it, round up more women and a load from the LGBT groups as well, let's go for an even split across shooting!:rolleyes:

20 minutes ago, ips said:

its a wonder in this day and age of political correctness that we are allowed to call a clay pigeon a pigeon, a one hundred bird competition must be regarded as slaughter to the left looney brigade...poor clay pigeon did nothing to deserve it...

Yep, in a pathetic attempt at political correctness there was a proposal, by I believe the CPSA, to rename clay pigeon shooting "clay target shooting" you couldn't ******** make it up!

For under represented group read tokenism!

11 minutes ago, walshie said:

Absolutely,  I've never understood the whole racism laws. The laws themselves are categorising people as different, and are therefore racist themselves.

2 hours ago, panoma1 said:

Yep, in a pathetic attempt at political correctness there was a proposal, by I believe the CPSA, to rename clay pigeon shooting "clay target shooting" you couldn't ******** make it up!

For under represented group read tokenism!

Yep. I think it was an attempt to dissaccociate ( if that’s a word ) the association from live quarry shooting.

2 hours ago, snow white said:

If i am shooting clays i get more hole ones than broken but i dont like clay shooting so dont try to hard give me somethink on the wing on driven days i can hold my own with the best guns there.

You've posted this in the wrong thread....this one belongs in the 'Grammar and spelling' thread in 'Off Topic'. 

Sorry.......couldn't resist; just taking the P, it's not a serious dig. :)

• 4 months later...

This is an interesting thread. As a mixed race person, I was a little apprehensive when it came to taking up shooting clays. It seems from the outside like a fairly exclusive past time. However, in my experience, I've never seen any hostility and everyone has been nothing but friendly when I've been shooting, been to gun shops etc. There's probably only a small amount of ethnic minorities involved because of the image of the sport to 'outsiders' - when I mention to friends I like shooting clays, they all take the mickey, calling me a toff or a country gent...which, having been brought up in inner city Manchester, I'm pretty sure I'm not! Just my thoughts.

1 of my regular shooting buddies is Arab,  at the range I use there are mixed race, Chinese and Asian members, not many but there are some who attend regularly, there are a few ladies as well including my 2 girls but again few and far between which I think is a  great shame. I think it has always been seen as a wealthy persons sport in the past but times are changing slowly, like Tom above I am a Manchester lad and my mates took the pee a bit as well at the beginning, now they don't blink an eyelid when I mention shooting.

This is an interesting thread. As a mixed race person, I was a little apprehensive when it came to taking up shooting clays. It seems from the outside like a fairly exclusive past time. However, in my experience, I've never seen any hostility and everyone has been nothing but friendly when I've been shooting, been to gun shops etc. There's probably only a small amount of ethnic minorities involved because of the image of the sport to 'outsiders' - when I mention to friends I like shooting clays, they all take the mickey, calling me a toff or a country gent...which, having been brought up in inner city Manchester, I'm pretty sure I'm not! Just my thoughts.

I have to own up that I can't think why you would be apprehensive. Clay shooting is one of the most welcoming sports I have ever been involved in. I have seen people who appear to be of Afro-Caribbean, Asian and Oriental descent, who were very decent shots. All were friendly and they were just fellow shooters.

It is an interesting and valid point.         There is absolutely no question less black shoot than white, I wonder why, I am regularly at Bisley and VERY seldom see any African Black types, now and again the odd Indian.

I see next to none at Clay events and even the Pest Control side is dominated by white faces!

For the apparent one or two here, may I point out the above is not a racist statement, it is based on what I see on a day to day basis, and have seen on a day to day basis for many years! 

It is a point of interest, why can't we have a debate about nationalities without some idiots shouting racism?  A lot less girls shoot than men, does that make me sexist mentioning that?

Edited by Dekers

I've been thinking if I've ever met anyone other than white/british ethnic shooters, and if I have then I certainly can't recall when it was. They are undoubtedly out there I assume. When I used to do a lot of martial arts I met folk from many ethnic origins. 

I'm a country bumpkin and I remember being surprised on a trip to London many years ago, to see a black wagon driver! I'd only ever seen white wagon drivers up until then! ? I've never seen any black or otherwise non white/british persons driving a tractor either. 

1 hour ago, Scully said:

I've been thinking if I've ever met anyone other than white/british ethnic shooters, and if I have then I certainly can't recall when it was. They are undoubtedly out there I assume. When I used to do a lot of martial arts I met folk from many ethnic origins. 

I'm a country bumpkin and I remember being surprised on a trip to London many years ago, to see a black wagon driver! I'd only ever seen white wagon drivers up until then! ? I've never seen any black or otherwise non white/british persons driving a tractor either. 

I remember a while back, I was working with a bloke who had never met a black person 'in real life' before - I was his first haha! I hope he wasn't disappointed XD

Edited by Guest

I think it's very patronising to black people to have people collating their numbers in various sports and activities. Maybe they just don't want to shoot?

Why is everyone obsessed with trying to even out numbers so it looks like an equal number of gay/black/trans/young/old/fat/thin people all share the same hobby?

No-one has tried to urge me to join the National Association of Black Actors, and they are pretty thin on the ground with white people.