Lack of diversity in shooting..

PPP

2 minutes ago, walshie said:

No-one has tried to urge me to join the National Association of Black Actors, and they are pretty thin on the ground with white people. 

And therein lies the rub and I believe a major part of the problem.  It is perfectly acceptable to the "liberals and snowflakes" to have national associations of Black This or women's that but a national association of white ***** is rampantly racist, and a national association of men's **** is both misogynistic and sexist.   It is the perpetual double standards of these people with an "agenda" that really gets my goat.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, walshie said:

I think it's very patronising to black people to have people collating their numbers in various sports and activities. Maybe they just don't want to shoot?

Why is everyone obsessed with trying to even out numbers so it looks like an equal number of gay/black/trans/young/old/fat/thin people all share the same hobby?

No-one has tried to urge me to join the National Association of Black Actors, and they are pretty thin on the ground with white people. 

Well said Sir......

I would be genuinely upset if I believed that anyone felt that they could not take part in clay shooting because of their ethnic origin. It isn't an issue for me and it should not be for anyone. If there are any such people in the North West who feel that they are hesitant or worried about whether they would be welcome, they are more than welcome to shoot with me and my friends.

21 hours ago, Gordon R said:

I would be genuinely upset if I believed that anyone felt that they could not take part in clay shooting because of their ethnic origin. It isn't an issue for me and it should not be for anyone. If there are any such people in the North West who feel that they are hesitant or worried about whether they would be welcome, they are more than welcome to shoot with me and my friends.

I agree, actually I would enlarge that to shooting generally and frankly any and every other pastime.   I don't think that is the issue or point of the OP.  It is just a point of interest/comment that for some reason shooting has very little take up with some nationalities.      The point seems to be why is that?   

Now we all know that America and Australia tend to be quite good (generally) with swimming events, Ethiopia has quite a record in the Marathon, and Africa has excelled at Sprinting events, the Irish ride horses well, and Germany does pretty well at Football (usually)….you get the idea, so why isn't it racist when we debate that?

It is very regrettable to me that we cannot apparently have a sensible debate about this OP without some shouting about racism, why is it that as soon as skin colour/nationality is mentioned some have to leap on the racism bandwagon?  

It isn't, rise above it! :D:good:

Edited by Dekers

There have been some very interesting points raised throughout this thread. I attend a lot of airshows in order to photograph the aircraft, there is a majority of white males and on Sunday at the Shuttleworth Family Airshow there were a load of white females joining their partners.

There have never been many asian or black people within the audience to the point that when  one does attend they stand out. Whether it is just something they have no interest in or whether they would like to but feel they can not attend I have no way of knowing.

The Shuttleworth Airshows often sell out due to good weather or something extra special listed in the flying display. Anyone can come along and join in as long as they have purchased a ticket.

I would be very happy to see more "ethnic" participation at clay shooting or airshows.

On 06/08/2018 at 13:59, Yellow Bear said:

And therein lies the rub and I believe a major part of the problem.  It is perfectly acceptable to the "liberals and snowflakes" to have national associations of Black This or women's that but a national association of white ***** is rampantly racist, and a national association of men's **** is both misogynistic and sexist.   It is the perpetual double standards of these people with an "agenda" that really gets my goat.

That make senses, if you completely ignore the power balance in the situations between the different groups. 

15 hours ago, ehb102 said:

That make senses, if you completely ignore the power balance in the situations between the different groups. 

?  There is no power imbalance so long as it doesn't affect you and more importantly so long as you simply refuse to acknowledge it exists. 

Edited by Hamster

How did this become a ‘racist’ thread?! I thought it was simply about the fact many of us didn’t or haven’t seen other races in shooting. As far as I’m aware there’s nothing to stop other ethnicities from taking up shooting if that’s what they want to do. Or have I missed something. 

On 06/08/2018 at 13:35, Tomleecee said:

I remember a while back, I was working with a bloke who had never met a black person 'in real life' before - I was his first haha! I hope he wasn't disappointed XD

I live in a small village in N Ireland and have never seen or met a black person in all my years living there. I could also count on one hand the amount of times I have actually ever spoken with a black person.....and I'm 58! I should add, this is not by choice. The fact is, there are no black people living in my area and the number of black folk in my local towns is very small. Mind you, this wee country is obsessed with colour....just happens those colours are orange and green! 

25 minutes ago, beanieboy said:

I live in a small village in N Ireland and have never seen or met a black person in all my years living there. I could also count on one hand the amount of times I have actually ever spoken with a black person.....and I'm 58! I should add, this is not by choice. The fact is, there are no black people living in my area and the number of black folk in my local towns is very small. Mind you, this wee country is obsessed with colour....just happens those colours are orange and green! 

Be careful, the PC brigade will label you and your whole village as racist, if you publicise that fact! ?

Edited by panoma1

On ‎08‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 08:43, beanieboy said:

When I was a kid I grew up near a very big American Air Force Base at West Ruislip. Lots of black people but all American service families. I loved them, their dads drove Chevies, thunderbirds, Buicks etc and their toys were a million years ahead of what we had. They had fridges and food mixers, their mums made waffles etc

To me they were an elite, its strange how racial perceptions alter  

On ‎07‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 15:53, panoma1 said:

I can't say as I care one way or the other! We are all individuals, and at present can decide what we want to do (or not!) for ourselves! I do not think there are any barriers in the shooting world........except those people make for themselves.

I agree but its interesting never the less and we ought to know why. Are they not interested or do they feel they would not be made welcome? if its the latter we need to look into it.

14 hours ago, Vince Green said:

I agree but its interesting never the less and we ought to know why. Are they not interested or do they feel they would not be made welcome? if its the latter we need to look into it.

I guess because the majority are from an urban background with no connection to field sports or the countryside, so, therefore, have no interest.

Edited by Penelope

15 hours ago, Vince Green said:

The few non English people who have come to my various rifle and clay clubs have always been given the warmest welcomes, it can be a bit daunting if you are a novice, or a bit nervy round people you dont know, so I really dont think the issue is an unwelcoming atmosphere.
But there seems to not really be the interest levels you would expect.
Not sure why, we had some probationary members at my FAC club, one African and one Jamaican, they seemed to enjoy it , but after 3 visits or so, never seen or heard from again, we have 1 Indian member, but he already had FAC ect when he joined.
Clays , I remember a mixed race lad turn up once, had his own gun, but thats it ,never seen anyone else of  non English background in 6 years.
Not even any Eastern Europeans, and that surprises me more.

Maybe they do feel its unapproachable, but I have various friends 'of colour' who show an interest, so I invite them over, even offer an informal walk round and lesson for cost of clays/shells, they never actually come?

I used to harbour suspicions that shooting in the UK was a preserve of white Englishmen by design.
But Ive come to realise that there is no evidence whatsoever to support this.
They just arent interested in it, which is sad really.