Help!!!

fatchap

I have been asked by a friend to make him a filleting knife for fishing etc... Making the knife is no problem, the blade from an old tenon saw does the job, a normal wood saw in my opinion is too flimsy.

Anyway the handle is antler and this is where my problems begin. He wants this.......

trout2.jpg.482ac3c02a5a90e726750645c96ae9c5.jpg

...engraved into the handle. Now I can do words nothing fancy with my engraver but a fish is way beyond my limited talents. What ink do you need to highlight it? How much to get it laser engraved? 

Any help greatly appreciated.

Do you have a Dremel ?  You can get a very pleasant result by grinding out the outline or complete shape of the fish animal bird, then filliung that with J & B, then sand and polish flush with the surface.  That picture is quite complicated if your not a good artist. How big  a space have you got on the handle ?  Is that the size he wants or can it be bigger?  If bigger then the dremel might just do it with some fine diamond bits, then fill the relief with J&B. 

2013-01-01 00.01.29 (800x600).jpg

2013-01-01 00.03.00 (800x600).jpg

Good idea JP, but it would need a very fine tool almost needle fine.  I have used a soldering iron with great success but only on biggish projects. Now you have set me off thinking how I can heat up a needle ...hmmm  maybe drillout the soldering iron and then drive the needle in the hole..... wet day tomorrow, indoor play, guess what I will be doing:yes:

This handle was burnt with a standard soldering iron

Just had a look what is available in pyrography kits and Hobbycraft have two items which look ok. The better one is £30 but has been on sale at half price and then a cheaper one at £10 both with a selection of nibs.  I would say that would be the way to go.   Carbon paper on the antler, then the diagram and with a ball pen draw it out.  This should give you something to work on.   Practise on a bit of scrap first. 

2013-08-26 23.30.14.jpg

Edited by Walker570

A pyrographer or dremel would both do the job with a bit of care , you can get different types of pyrographer, a twin post one would probably be easier than a soldering iron type.

If you get really stuck ,send it over and my good lady will do it for you .

Thanks for the replies chaps,

I may just take you up on the offer mel b3.

I have heard rumours of a marker pen that allegedly writes on bone china and wont come off, apparently you do your design, leave it to dry for 24 hours,  then bake it off in a 150 degrees oven for half an hour and it permanent..

Not sure of the effect the oven will have on the antler, but from what I have read it will write on antler with the same results as china. of course all this would be grand if the article I was reading had mentioned the name of this life saving pen. so far google has returned almost every single pen made in CHINA available.

Thanks again for the replies,