AyA number 2

Royboy

Hello

maybe this should be in the wanted section ?

My uncle has the above gun that he bought in the 70s brand new and it was his first gun.

whilst out rough shooting this season he’s jumped a ditch and landed on his stock and snapped it in half !

could anyone point me in the right direction for a stock or maybe you have one ? He’s not bothered of the condition of stock he can rub it down and re finish it.

thanks 

Keep an eye on the auctions, Holts, Southams etc, particularly stock and action, you might strike it lucky with a gun with scrap barrels. Alternatively you may find one with poor barrels going cheaply. I agree not as easy as it sounds but aya are mass produced so it is likely stocks will be capable of being fitted to the actions and sidelocks without too much difficulty.

Good luck

3 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

Keep an eye on the auctions, Holts, Southams etc, particularly stock and action, you might strike it lucky with a gun with scrap barrels. Alternatively you may find one with poor barrels going cheaply. I agree not as easy as it sounds but aya are mass produced so it is likely stocks will be capable of being fitted to the actions and sidelocks without too much difficulty.

Good luck

Yes as long as you buy one that need wood removing to fit not adding!!!! Put some pictures of the break up  you’ll be surprised what can be repaired.  

Edited by welshwarrior

It is is near impossible to fit the stock from one AyA to another satisfactorily , Even with No4's and Yeoman's it is difficult to get a good job . To start you would need a stock from  a gun of similar serial number as there have been several change over time .Plus the fact that s stock from a scrap gun , if you can find one , may well be worn . I do not full hold with repairing stocks but others disagree . 

Unfortunately the cost of restocking is beyond the guns value as you can not buy a part machined stock from ASI it will have to be hand done . I know ASI well and have asked on several occasions .

There are people can use the old stock as pattern and machine a new one up to final fitting and finishing ,If you PM me I will send you contact numbers .What they charge I dont know and again may well be the finished job is uneconomic .

Edited by Gunman

Very good repairs are possible and might be the only economic way to rescue a much loved gun. I have seen several. For example a friend had a Bland Brent broken across the pistol grip. It was repaired by Richardsons of Halesworth to a level where you had to examine it very closely to find the seam (the chequering helped).  No doubt others can do the same.

Brilliant thanks for the reply’s guys, all I can do is pas the information to my uncle and let him ring around. If another stock is cheap enough it’s probably worth a punt at trying it. If not he will have to look into having repaired/ new one made 

Why don't you send Welshwarrior some photos of the broken stock, he should be able to quote you for a repair. He repaired a pal's broken (smashed through the hand with bits missing) and made a virtually invisible job of it. Had to look really hard to notice any repair whatsoever. Top craftsman in my opinion.

OB

On 30/03/2018 at 08:04, Royboy said:

Hello

maybe this should be in the wanted section ?

My uncle has the above gun that he bought in the 70s brand new and it was his first gun.

whilst out rough shooting this season he’s jumped a ditch and landed on his stock and snapped it in half !

could anyone point me in the right direction for a stock or maybe you have one ? He’s not bothered of the condition of stock he can rub it down and re finish it.

thanks 

Hi,

I really do not know why you are still looking at this, Welsh Warrior is the chap to ask to look at it and if he can't repair it no one can.

His work is first class and the complete gun can be sent to him as will be needed with a sidelock.

Good luck with it,

Tony.

15 minutes ago, Tony Morris said:

Hi,

I really do not know why you are still looking at this, Welsh Warrior is the chap to ask to look at it and if he can't repair it no one can.

His work is first class and the complete gun can be sent to him as will be needed with a sidelock.

Good luck with it,

Tony.

I’m seeing my uncle tomorrow (he’s my boss) and see what he wants to do. Cheers