Himalayan Balsam

walshie

We are toying with the idea of buying a little place but it has Himalayan Balsam present.  What little reading I've done on the subject tells me it's an invasive plant and needs getting rid of, but it seems fairly easy to kill compared to Jap Knotweed and the like.

Is that the case? Or is it not worth the aggro?

Thanks. 

Removing Himalayan balsam

Indian balsam needs dealing with before it sets seed. If control is undertaken early enough to prevent flowering (and if this is achieved before seed has set) then eradication is possible in two or three years. We recommend that the plants, which are shallow-rooted, should be pulled out and disposed of by composting carefully, or by burning if seeds are present. If this is done on a regular basis and the plant is not allowed to set seed, it will eventually die out. Regular strimming of larger areas is also an option, as long as it is done often enough to prevent flowering.

Doesn't look too onerous?

Edited by Eyefor

There is quite a bit of this on local land but owners don't seem too bothered. I have no experience of trying to get rid of it, but doing so prior to flowers appearing makes sense; the seed pods literally explode when touched, spreading the seeds very effectively. 

Himalayan balsam is an annual with a fairly shallow, weak root system. 

Pull it all up before it flowers and sets seed and you'll be fine. 

The trouble with knotweed is that it comes from the root, and the root system can be deep, far reaching and is strong enough to damage foundations etc etc. 

We have to deal with a lot of Japanese knot weed and we visit the sites year after year to get the small regrowth.  I wouldn't worry about Himalayan  Balsam one bit pull it out if not so I d round up the area and keep an eye on any regrowth for the following year or two.

tried some of the honey a few weeks ago very nice.

lots of balsam around us, spreads its way down the river system and slowly creeps inwards away from the river banks.

There doing tests some place with a type of rust to try and eradicate it, problem seems to be when you get an area that no one does anything on so it seeds and spreads, kids certainly enjoy popping the seeds.