Petrol chainsaw

harrycatcat1

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If trees are a regular fixture in your garden or job, this Gardenline Petrol Chainsaw is just what you need. Perfect for clearing away troublesome branches, this can cut trees with a diameter up to 355mm. With low emissions and a safety chain break to prevent accidents, the chainsaw also features a heavy-duty air filter to help prolong the life of the engine.

Accessories Included
Bar Cover, Fuel Mixing Container, Spark Plug Spanner, Screwdriver
Features
  • 41cc - 2 stroke engine offers powerful performance
  • 16" Oregon bar and chain help make cutting easier
  • Heavy-duty air filter helps add longevity to the engine
  • Can cut 375mm diameter trees
  • Low emissions
  • Reliable safety chain brake to prevent accidents
  • SDS system - toolless chain tension
  • Bar length: 400mm, 16"
  • Chain link distance: 3/8"
  • Chain link thickness: 1.27mm
  • Cutting speed: 21 m/s
  • Auto choke and primer for fast start
  • Automatic chain lubrication
  • Kickback protection
  • Anti-vibration chain break
Guarantee/Warranty
Free 3 year warranty
  • Blade Size: 400mm
  • Brand: Gardenline
  • Capacity: 0.21L (Oil tank)
  • Dimensions: Approx. 380 x 255 x 255mm
  • Power: 1.5kW
  • Product Type: Garden Power Tools

Honestly i really would bother with them, various other budget brands aren't an awful lot dearer.all year round and come with dealer back up

While u usually get wot u pay for, there is some very good cheapy makes out there (i tend to buy  bit of Titan, screwfix's cheapy brand, and its ok for occasional use) but when it comes to petrol engines ur better paying that wee bit extra and having something that starts and runs when u want it to not when it feels like it.

I bought a 15" bar the other day and was 25 quid and 27 for the chain, i thought they were dear, but that was a proper  bar and a real chain, not the sort u get on those chainsaws (usually a 3/8ths low prifile or micro/pico chains)

It is an Oregon bar and chain. So add the £22 for the bar at screwfix and the cost of the chain it makes for a decent price.

Also considering if it breaks in the 3 years you’ll get your cash back. 

More important is a pair of trousers and helmet with a face guard. 

Stihl 170 is the branded basic model (I think they also do a smaller one, but the price is nominal). I’m sure husky do a similar model.

I’ve cut some hellish big trees with mine, but I decided to go for a bigger model (engine, bar and chain size) which cuts through hardwood like butter.

Make sure you buy a sharpening kit, with a little practice (watch a few YouTube vids) you can keep them in tip top condition  

Basically browning v beretta. 

Edited by markm

To be honest i wouldn't reccomend a stihl or husky as a budget saw as there 'hobby' saws aren't very good.(Althou the stihl ms170 does seem to get good reviews)

A budget saw won't (shouldn't) push a 18" bar or even a 16", really to work a 16"+ bar ur wanting atleast a 50-60cc saw., most budgey saws aren't that big, same on ebay folk put stupid great big bars on tiny saws to make them look 'bigger'

I usually only have a 13" bar on my 353xp and its a cracking pro saw amazing the timber i can cut with that in a day and 18-20" on my 372's.

If u know wot ur doing a small bar can fell a large tree, not that many trees u couldn't fell with a 20" bar

Having a longer bar than needed means ur citting fresh air most of the time and makes the saw more dangerous

Mibbe a mittox, possibly mccullogh, my 2nd last saw was a cheap efco slightly dearer than ur cheap saws but a handy wee knock about saw.but still a bit cheaper than pro grade saws

i'd buy something of a proper garden machinery shop that will repair them and honour any warranty, i also like smaller independant dealers as they wuill have to stand by their products more as it reflects on their reputation

Has anybody had experience of the McAllister chainsaw that B&Q sell (40 CC) comes in at £150 ish and the overall spec seems okay but I raise my cap to those who are more informed.  Will be used for slicing from a large tree so I can chop into logs for wood burner.

Regards

to all

Pushkin:good:

23 minutes ago, scotslad said:

To be honest i wouldn't reccomend a stihl or husky as a budget saw as there 'hobby' saws aren't very good.(Althou the stihl ms170 does seem to get good reviews)

A budget saw won't (shouldn't) push a 18" bar or even a 16", really to work a 16"+ bar ur wanting atleast a 50-60cc saw., most budgey saws aren't that big, same on ebay folk put stupid great big bars on tiny saws to make them look 'bigger'

I usually only have a 13" bar on my 353xp and its a cracking pro saw amazing the timber i can cut with that in a day and 18-20" on my 372's.

If u know wot ur doing a small bar can fell a large tree, not that many trees u couldn't fell with a 20" bar

Having a longer bar than needed means ur citting fresh air most of the time and makes the saw more dangerous

Mibbe a mittox, possibly mccullogh, my 2nd last saw was a cheap efco slightly dearer than ur cheap saws but a handy wee knock about saw.but still a bit cheaper than pro grade saws

i'd buy something of a proper garden machinery shop that will repair them and honour any warranty, i also like smaller independant dealers as they wuill have to stand by their products more as it reflects on their reputation

lot of sense in that. 

Don't be seduced by a gert big bar. You can fell a tree at 32" diameter with a 13 inch bar if you know what you are doing, 

the longer the bar the more chain your engine has to drag round. 

I have a husky 346xp among others with a 13" bar, it would handle everything a home/garden/farm user would need it for with ease. 

29 minutes ago, Pushkin said:

Has anybody had experience of the McAllister chainsaw that B&Q sell (40 CC) comes in at £150 ish and the overall spec seems okay but I raise my cap to those who are more informed.  Will be used for slicing from a large tree so I can chop into logs for wood burner.

Regards

to all

Pushkin:good:

I'm mates with a local garden machinery dealer, and those types of saws/lawnmowers are his pet hate.

usually theyre very poor and at 150 quid ur into decent enough money, u could probably buy a similar saw of him for that money.(he sells mittox as his basic 'hobby' saw then going onto efco) He actually say's some of the chinese stuff is ok too if u know the right 1's.

Thats a saw he'll fix and if it breaks down, during the warranty he'll have to fix for free, most boys that fix saws won't sell **** as its never out there workshop.

Doubt i'd buy a saw from somewhere that doesn't fix them also

I've just bought another decent saw there, looked online at 1 massive player who knocks them out very cheap, walked into the local back street dealer beat there price without even haggling, i never even thought he'd be i the same ball park.

Sometimes ur small independants can offer u some very good deals on decent tackle.

Aye clem the 346 is a cracking wee saw, a lot of power for its size, and like u say a 13" bar would do most hobby users, also makes the saw feel nice and balanced so feels lighter.

I've had a Stihl MS170 for about nine years, I run it on Aspen as I'm only an occasional user this avoids problems with fuel 'going off'. They're about £160 these days. Great for pruning and light felling. Mine has a 14" bar. 

I have a similar size Husqvarna 235 but have had problems with the chain tensioner and safety brake, though the larger 340 has had no problems.

(With regards to dropping big trees, work within your known limits)

56 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Just curious as why you think that Aldi would sell a substandard chainsaw and why it would be more dangerous than any other?

I agree.

Maybe no spare parts (but eBay is good for finding parts) and may not last as long. But unsafe?

I bought one from China for £70 it lasted 5 years and no probs. I can buy new chains cheaper that a sharpen (although i now do that myself) . The Stihl i bought to replace iis also made in China, cost me £380 new and has already broken down twice.

U'd have to examine the saw, but it could potentially be more unsafe, how strong/secure is the chain catcher, does the chain and inertia brake work, does chain stay fully tight etc. Even type of chain, if a super cheap chain (or not oiling correctly ) it could snap

Althou i'd be more worried about reliability.

Any retailer that just sells saws and doesn't fix them doesn't really care about how relible it is or how often it breaks as they just send it away and get a new 1 sent back.

I said earlier i wouldn't reccommend the cheap stihl/husky saws as are just rebadged with there stickers on.

Some chinese saws are went to be absolute garbage but others are ok for the money its knowing the better 1's, a retailer fixing them will only sell the better 1's

I've a stihl ms181. Absolute bag of rubbish. Always sorting out the oil feed as it's prone to blockage. For the size of engine / output it's ok, providing you keep it sharp, but the oil feed system is ****. Avoid unless you like changing oil feed pipes a lot. Also same as ms170 171 181 211. All same oil feed problems when I Google it