Depression

Hi all for a few years now iv had a problem with myself that i cant understsnd iv lost my passion and old over enthusiastic happy sociable self.  Iv been into shooting and fishing since 9 year old. Iv let lots of my perms go over the last 4 years and even rehoused my ferrets twice and not been passionately into my shooting, ferreting and fishing the last 4 years now. I am a complete shadow of my former self in every single way. I have had the black dog with me for over 4 years now. I am no way any threat to myself or anyone and dont want to see a doctor incase I loose my shotgun certificate which iv had for 15 years. I am depressed but have a fantastic amazing bueatiful and understanding  wife thank god that i am privelaged to be with and have high position in  a top job thats going very well but have this hanging over me and want to see a doctor without causing problems with my licence that been able to go shooting is actually something that helps me relax. I am 33 years old. I am worried  If I see a doctor for this will it cause me future problems at renewal time? Could this cause me problems if I do? Thank you for any advice.

Edited by archiebald

If you have a problem see a doctor.

My mate never saw a doctor and now through depression he is no longer with us 

Please see a doctor before it gets worse

Its better to give up your licence if need be 

Than not to see a doctor at the earliest opertunity you can always get a licence back later on or even shoot sub 12 air rifle if it calms you

Sorry to be so blunt but you would not be saying you have a problem on a forum if you never had a problem..go and see your doctor. In the morning..i am sure even you dear wife will be happier if you do

If your licence has to be given up so be it 

With my mate no one knew he had any problems until it was too late...he is missed by his wife son and all his mates.not that you are at this stage but i and so many on this forum are wishing you well and please please please see the doctor 

And i am sure the doctor through assessment may say you can carry on shooting and help you make everything leval.

Edited by psycho

Guest stevo

It’s just a bit of paper mucker , nothing stoping you from taking a break and getting you sorted  then just reapply at a later date .

i know of two people that have done the very same over the years , and there both back shooting . 

Keep your chin up and focus on the positives in your world . ?

7 minutes ago, stevo said:

It’s just a bit of paper mucker , nothing stoping you from taking a break and getting you sorted  then just reapply at a later date .

i know of two people that have done the very same over the years , and there both back shooting . 

Keep your chin up and focus on the positives in your world . ?

Thanks for that! I want help but I'm in no way a risk to anyone or myself and happily get out and bag a few rabbits etc for myself but that stigma is what puts me off seeking professonal help. Thanks Stevo!

Edited by archiebald

You owe it to that beautiful wife of yours to get medical help.

Nothing is more important than your health.   I have been there so I know what you are going through.   I came out of it and got my whole life back.   When I reported sick I lost my job because of it and new I was going to  - Not just a gun certificate.   Got it all back in the end.  

Really sorry to hear about your problems , hope and pray you get it sorted and you are soon back to your old self , if I was in your shoes , I am sure my wife would notice the difference in me and tell me to see a doctor , I know its easier said than done and I am sure there are members who have been in the same position or know someone who are and can give you better advice than I can .

GOOD LUCK

6 minutes ago, psycho said:

If you have a problem see a doctor.

My mate never saw a doctor and now through depression he is no longer with us 

Please see a doctor before it gets worse

Its better to give up your licence and still be alive and see a docgor at tbe earliest opertunity

Sorry to be so blunt but you would not be saying you have a problem on a forum if you never had a problem..go and see your doctor. In morning..

With my mate no one knew he had any problems until it was too late...he is missed by his wife son and all his mates

Totally agree with this. Go see your GP, the extra worry about your certificate and loss of shooting probably is not helping and has no bearing on your loss of interest in fishing. long term health is more important than short term worries.

Guest stevo
6 minutes ago, archiebald said:

Thanks for that! I want help but I'm in no way a risk to anyone or myself and happily get out and bag a few rabbits etc for myself but that stigma is what puts me off seeking professonal help. Thanks Stevo!

No need to say thanks when your welcome ?

18 minutes ago, stevo said:

No need to say thanks when your welcome ?

Speaking really helps my missus went through depression really bad and I was her rock like your wife's your not a nice experience. Life' to short to be down maybe a temporary break to bring yourself back is what you need keep fighting your demons all will come good best wishes we all pray for you. Think PMA (positive mental attitude) helps me 

Hi mate, I don't see how anyone on this forum can answer your question as to weather you may loose your ticket, even if we knew the full ins and outs of your problem. However you have bigger fish to fry. You are extremely lucky to have such a wonderful wife as you describe, and maintaining that relationship must be your top priority. This has been going on for too long and she must be worried sick over you. 

See a doctor as soon as you can, you may or may not loose your ticket for a short time but that's a small price to pay.

Depression is a curse of strong minded people, lesser mortals just off load on to others. Seeing a doctor is not a failure, it is a logical decision of an analytical mind. Go for it.

I've been through it a few years back with health anxiety and I'm still on medication to help keep an even keel. I was/am open with my doc and FEO and at no stage has there been talk of removing my guns. Infact my FEO was incredibly understanding and supportive saying that removing my guns could make it worse as shooting is a great way to get out, meet people and improve state of mind....and she was right.

As has been said, go talk to your Doc and do it as soon as you can.

I'll offer up some advise, you'll get help but the person who can help you the most is yourself, challenge your thoughts challenge the lethargy, when you're down... get up, grab the gun and the dog and get out in the sunshine, walk hard, watch your dog enjoying itself, marvel at the sky, take in nature.....you will feel better for it.

It may surprise some that I'm so open on a forum but I'm a firm believer that openly talking about these things is the way forward. Its not something we should shy away from.

Get some help but remember to help yourself! hope you feel better soon.

Steve

incredibly brave of you to put this up on a public platform.I would say your health is far far more important than shooting at this point in your life..please go and see your GP. It does not automatically follow that your certificate shall be revoked but even if it is then perhaps concentrating on the important things in life such as your health/family is the most important.You clearly have a brilliant wife what does she advise? As clearly she will want what is best for you?

All the very best.

Some really positive sounding advice thank you everyone! I'l get myself booked in and see what on earth wrong with me! Thanks for the nice words yes I am very lucky to have my wife she is my rock and so cheerful and happy and she is like a breath of fresh air. 

I was wondering what would happen to my shotgun ticket if I went to the doctors as I really dont want to loose that I didn't renew my FAC recently so not bothered about that. 

I'l get booked in then and try get myself sorted thanks guys.

27 minutes ago, thepasty said:

I've been through it a few years back with health anxiety and I'm still on medication to help keep an even keel. I was/am open with my doc and FEO and at no stage has there been talk of removing my guns. Infact my FEO was incredibly understanding and supportive saying that removing my guns could make it worse as shooting is a great way to get out, meet people and improve state of mind....and she was right.

As has been said, go talk to your Doc and do it as soon as you can.

I'll offer up some advise, you'll get help but the person who can help you the most is yourself, challenge your thoughts challenge the lethargy, when you're down... get up, grab the gun and the dog and get out in the sunshine, walk hard, watch your dog enjoying itself, marvel at the sky, take in nature.....you will feel better for it.

It may surprise some that I'm so open on a forum but I'm a firm believer that openly talking about these things is the way forward. Its not something we should shy away from.

Get some help but remember to help yourself! hope you feel better soon.

Steve

Best post of the year.

Is it depression or are you just feeling a bit fed up with the same old routine, either way have a chat with someone.

As others have said don't be worried about seeking professional help, I personally know a shooter who was off sick with depression and he still has his SGC. 

Glad you are now going to see the doctor. I took far too long (6-8 months) to do that when I had similar issues. That was 14 years ago. I have had no issues with renewing my certificate. Hope you are back to your old self very soon.

Well done Archiebald.  

You have made the first big step towards your recovery.   

If I got there 55 years ago, when the basic cure was a kick up the back side, then you definitely will with all the modern understanding of stress and depression.

All the best of very good luck for the future.

I suffered from anxiety attacks many moons ago, relating to some personal issues and a staggeringly oppressive work shift system. I owned handguns at the time but all I wanted to do was get better.  I was diagnosed beta blockers but didn’t take them, just talking to a professional about it seemed to be all I needed. 

Anyhow, here I am over 20 years later, and still shooting.  

For all you know it may not be depression. My old bosses wife claimed she was depressed; turned out she had an under active thyroid.

It’s a proven fact that walking in natural daylight is one of the best remedies to mental health issues, so get out there and enjoy the spring. 

I've been saying for ages that people with depression not seeking treatment through fear of losing their tickets is a greater risk than people with it having them.

Pleased to hear you're going to the docs.  You can't let this sort of thing run on and on.

All the best and hope you're feeling more yourself soon.