Using same pen twice

Hi,

we are thinking of putting a few extra birds down this year but think that the pens are perobebly at there maximum or near to.

i was wondering if we could use the pens twice.  to release a only few in say late July so the pens don't get ruined and then again when we normally do at the beginning of September allowing just over a month or so for recovery time 

Any thoughts would be useful  cheers 

mike 

To be honest I have never heard of anyone doing this. You would obviously need a very early and late hatch. I am not sure I would want to put 6 week old poults in a pen that has already done birds that year, our pens can end up in a **** state and I expect things like Gapes might be more of an issue.

If you are putting 6 week birds in a pen early September and in theory shooting them at 18 - 20 weeks that will take you to early December.

My main worry with this is that the first batch would hang around the pen and pull out the young birds and get them wandering about before they are old enough and wise enough to avoid danger. Obviously you may bet the pens which would counter this.

You say the pens are maxed out, is this because they look full or cut up and get messy fairly quickly?

The first batch would only be 11-12 weeks old when you release the second lot, so the first birds would probably be still in the pen most of the day. I have always been told that you shouldn't mix age groups of birds in the same pen due to disease risks.

As above, the best option is to extend your pens if possible, and release in one batch

• 3 weeks later...