which shotgun

shawn9914

I have just got back into shooting after a 4 year break in which time I sold everything inc my guns BIG MISTAKE I have started replacing it all got a nice hw100 air rifle, nitesite wolf nv kit complete with range finder couple of nice scopes and a new tikka tx1 rimfire due in about 4 weeks so I am about skint now lol

Thing is I have some permisssion for pigeon shooting and sold my barreta silver pigeon 686 and now need to replace it, I wont be doing loads of pigeons but am looking at buying another shotgun just wondered what I should get I need to spend as little as possible as the wife is already a bit upset with my spend so what could I buy and how much do I need to spend to be able to spend the odd afternoon in the hide pigeon shooting

cheers

hello, check out gun watch ads or it would be unusual if rabbitbosher or othe RFDs on here would not have some thing suitable, something like a rizzini or lanber silma, winchester 1 x 1 there are 2 nice Silmas  on there, just to add if you had a 686 check out the stock size LOP and see if any i mentioned suitable

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Find an older Miroku - built to last and will hold it's value. I bought a weird one with a sliding top fence locking system for a couple of hundred and I then sold my mint 525 because the Miroku is miles better - it's now the only gun I use weekly out of 12 that I own and I doubt that I will ever sell it.ps if anyone knows what model it is please let me know....O/U EJ ST with a sliding "fence" that slides over the top of the barrel.

Took my b525 pigeon/ rough shooting yesterday and although I'm not precious about my guns I'm going to look for a pump or semi with a plastic stock as hunting guns get a bashing and re loading in a hide would be easier. Was looking at the Winchester sxp or franchi affinity.

good luck with the tx1 , wish they were out when I was granted my licence ?

21 minutes ago, Duckandswing said:

Try a pump? I love shooting all different types. Pumps are generally so reliable and durable. I wouldn’t be without mine.

I got a Mossberg 590 about a month ago awesome gun and so much fun to shoot. Was surprised at what I could hit with a 24 inch barrel.

5 hours ago, Benkent said:

I got a Mossberg 590 about a month ago awesome gun and so much fun to shoot. Was surprised at what I could hit with a 24 inch barrel.

Surely you can hit the same with a 24" barrel as any other length.

On 31/03/2018 at 14:49, Scully said:

Secondhand Browning, Miroku or Winchester 101 or Beretta for OU's. Secondhand Beretta, Browning or Winchester if self loading. 

Just a related question on this I’ve seen a few really nice 101’s and a couple of tidy 9500s. Really like them but have been put off by an apparent lack of spares. Is that true or can spare parts still be sourced?

On 31/03/2018 at 15:27, bruno22rf said:

Find an older Miroku - built to last and will hold it's value. I bought a weird one with a sliding top fence locking system for a couple of hundred and I then sold my mint 525 because the Miroku is miles better - it's now the only gun I use weekly out of 12 that I own and I doubt that I will ever sell it.ps if anyone knows what model it is please let me know....O/U EJ ST with a sliding "fence" that slides over the top of the barrel.

Think it could be a 3000.

1 hour ago, Wingman said:

Just a related question on this I’ve seen a few really nice 101’s and a couple of tidy 9500s. Really like them but have been put off by an apparent lack of spares. Is that true or can spare parts still be sourced?

I've owned seven 101's over the years ( and still own two )  including a very nice 9500 which my nephew now owns for English Sporting comp's. I've never had the need to find spares for any of them but have been told by a couple of RFD's that spares can be made. 

12 minutes ago, Scully said:

I've owned seven 101's over the years ( and still own two )  including a very nice 9500 which my nephew now owns for English Sporting comp's. I've never had the need to find spares for any of them but have been told by a couple of RFD's that spares can be made. 

Great cheers Scully

On 3/31/2018 at 18:07, shawn9914 said:

I have found 2 miroku models 

1 miroku ORE slight pitting inside of barrels £375

2 miroku 3000 £400

Can anyone comment on either model which would you buy for pigeon shooting 

I have had my Miroku 800SW from new (1975) and its never let me down and its had a lot of cartridges through it.

Basically all these old Miroku O/U’s were the same gun, just different finishing and wood, you will not go far wrong with any of this range of guns at this price point.

Edited by old'un

Forget all that and go out and get a decent side by side .

DO not get the Miroku 3000 they are nightmare to repair and are NOT the same gun as the Valmet or Remington even if of similar design . There are no spares  available from Miroku and the top lever is prone to breakage and virtually impossible to repair without great expense .

Ask your self why they were only made for a couple of years before production was discontinued and returned to the tried and tested design of the 300/400/and 500 series ?