Another blind

Walker570

.......from that pallet wood today. The rain didn't really matrialise and I manged to get it all complete other than the door and the side roof plate on this side.

I built it like the last one on a double sided pallet which forms the floor and a solid base.  Built it on the trailer so my friendly farmer can slip his pallet forks under and lift it bodily on to the top of a mound of soil overlooking a new silage pit which has maize silage and is being hit by pigeons, magpies, crows and jackdaws.  Will see it moved eventually because another silage pit is going right where it will stand and I'll then move it to a spot for fox control, but being built on a strong pallet, it is easy to shift it about and I plan to build a 'stand' in tanalised, so that it will sit on top and give a better/ safer angle of fire. Promises a nice day tomorrow so should aee it positioned.

Plan to put a 3mm Stokbord layer on the roof making it very water proof.

2013-03-11 05.03.55 (800x534).jpg

Edited by Walker570

On ‎31‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 16:42, Walker570 said:

.......from that pallet wood today. The rain didn't really matrialise and I manged to get it all complete other than the door and the side roof plate on this side.

I built it like the last one on a double sided pallet which forms the floor and a solid base.  Built it on the trailer so my friendly farmer can slip his pallet forks under and lift it bodily on to the top of a mound of soil overlooking a new silage pit which has maize silage and is being hit by pigeons, magpies, crows and jackdaws.  Will see it moved eventually because another silage pit is going right where it will stand and I'll then move it to a spot for fox control, but being built on a strong pallet, it is easy to shift it about and I plan to build a 'stand' in tanalised, so that it will sit on top and give a better/ safer angle of fire. Promises a nice day tomorrow so should aee it positioned.

Plan to put a 3mm Stokbord layer on the roof making it very water proof.

2013-03-11 05.03.55 (800x534).jpg

pot belly stove off grid living lol

I have a tool I purchased for £20 which does the job. Look on google for a pallet breaker. I added an extra 2ft to the handle, made a big difference. Yes, some pallets are VERY well nailed and on these I cut the heads off the nails with a 1mm disc, then as a bove a bolster chisel to open them up and then my pallet tool which finished the job.   I think I probably harvest about 85 % of the timbers undamaged, the rest go into my fire lighting store chopped as sticks.  The nails are sorted and if good are saved.  I have built a covered rack where I can store the pieces to dry until I need them.  I try and remove as many nails a possible because some of the hardwood slats  I can put through the planer and use for jobs in the workshop..drawera etc.

Edited by Walker570

tt, I am not short but don't waste 'em. I have the storage and the timber is too good to waste.  I have about 70 at the moment which I am slowly taking apart and store the good stuff under cover and chop the rest for starting wood. The corner blocks go on the stove as is.   Building a blind on a pallet also works well around farm buildings as the farmer can just slip the pallet forks under and move 'em if necessary.  Only finished putting that one in position about ten minutes and was having a cup of coffee when a magpie obliged.  I have now shot well over 150 magpies in that yard in about 12 months. Hardly saw a small bird before that. Yesterday had chaffinces and yellow hammers all around me and in the autumn I counted 39 wagtails on the big slurry pit.  I must be doing some good.  How's the fingers doing ??

10 hours ago, Walker570 said:

tt, I am not short but don't waste 'em. I have the storage and the timber is too good to waste.  I have about 70 at the moment which I am slowly taking apart and store the good stuff under cover and chop the rest for starting wood. The corner blocks go on the stove as is.   Building a blind on a pallet also works well around farm buildings as the farmer can just slip the pallet forks under and move 'em if necessary.  Only finished putting that one in position about ten minutes and was having a cup of coffee when a magpie obliged.  I have now shot well over 150 magpies in that yard in about 12 months. Hardly saw a small bird before that. Yesterday had chaffinces and yellow hammers all around me and in the autumn I counted 39 wagtails on the big slurry pit.  I must be doing some good.  How's the fingers doing ??

The fingers are healed now but I’ll await my nails if they appear :) .

always welcome to bits you need 

Well it seemed to be a good move to put thatbove the new silage pit. Two magpies yesterday afternoon, then I had to go over and adjust the seating arrangement as it was a bit cramped. Got that sorted quickly and sat back for an hour to see what was about. Loads of chaffinches again and then I could see something small digging at the far side. Took a look through the scope and what it was, was the tip of a grey  tree rats tail poking above the hole it had dug.  Flicked the TX200 safety off just as a head appeared, squeezed one off just as the rat move up a bit and hit it square beteen the shoulder blades. Job done.  The cover is being pushed back this afternoon so should belots of activity on the new stuff in the next day or so.

2018-04-09 14.13.48 (800x458).jpg

Edited by Walker570

Certainly on this farm the purpose made/placed blinds have paid off.   Lost count now on how many magpies I have shot from them must be over 150, plus carrions, jackdaws, occasional brown rat, foxes and now a grey tree rat. With free pallet wood they cost little to build .. maybe a fivers worth of screws.  OK I put 20 quids worth of roof on but I like my comfort.  Just have to be patient and not fall asleep too often:yes::lol: