NON Toxix wad length

Anyone had the issue of BPI TPS 3” wads being to long to get a crimp, it’s around 6mm longer than a B&P s35 or SAM1 wad and only leaves 5.5mm of free case at the top for crimp. Tried to crimp a few but awful and had to cut them and recover shot powder and primer. Tried a new 3” Chedite case in case it was dues to pre crimped once used cases no different. 

The photo is a TPS next to a S35 wad

A8A2AFA2-573A-486E-8121-19C39189F488.jpeg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

50 minutes ago, figgy said:

Anyone had the issue of BPI TPS 3” wads being to long to get a crimp, it’s around 6mm longer than a B&P s35 or SAM1 wad and only leaves 5.5mm of free case at the top for crimp. Tried to crimp a few but awful and had to cut them and recover shot powder and primer. Tried a new 3” Chedite case in case it was dues to pre crimped once used cases no different. 

The photo is a TPS next to a S35 wad

A8A2AFA2-573A-486E-8121-19C39189F488.jpeg

Not going to help Figgy BUT that's one reason along with price i don't use them .

I use B&P 35 with the load you asked about have done for years patterns very good if i do my bit kills as far as I'm confident to shoot Geese.

Yes I've cut them down but if you cut them same size as a B&P35 they still are a problem due to bottom of the wad

4 hours ago, 6.5x55SE said:

Not going to help Figgy BUT that's one reason along with price i don't use them .

I use B&P 35 with the load you asked about have done for years patterns very good if i do my bit kills as far as I'm confident to shoot Geese.

Yes I've cut them down but if you cut them same size as a B&P35 they still are a problem due to bottom of the wad

I know what your getting at , the internal volume is the same as a S35.  Because of the design and the gas seal and bottom of wad takes up more room than other cases . I measured them inside to see if they were different but same depth. 

How do manufacturers get 38g of B.B. in a 3” case?  36.5 g and I can’t get a decent crimp. 

7 minutes ago, figgy said:

I know what your getting at , the internal volume is the same as a S35.  Because of the design and the gas seal and bottom of wad takes up more room than other cases . I measured them inside to see if they were different but same depth. 

How do manufacturers get 38g of B.B. in a 3” case?  36.5 g and I can’t get a decent crimp. 

What factory shells can you get that are 38gm BB in 3"?

9 hours ago, motty said:

What factory shells can you get that are 38gm BB in 3"?

NSI Steel 38hp

ill have a look see if I can find the topic I posted about NSI Waterfowl cartridges, one of the members posted a pic of a box of carts 3” 38g 11/3 oz carts the Waterfowl carts are 35g same as we can squeeze into a 3” wad. 

Here you go 

Edited by figgy

10 hours ago, Saltings said:

don't always believe what you read on cartridge boxes re speed or volume also can be down to industrial powder taking up less space 

+1

In this case the use SPL powder which seems an I dustrial only powder and a slower version of the SP family (maybe for .410 magnum) appear to be the solution.

BTW I doubt very much that NSI would use any case or primer other than their own so...it'll be interesting to see the wad they use, I think is either the B&P or the Gualandi but it might be a purpose made one ;)

Edited by Continental Shooter

40 minutes ago, figgy said:

NSI Steel 38hp

ill have a look see if I can find the topic I posted about NSI Waterfowl cartridges, one of the members posted a pic of a box of carts 3” 38g 11/3 oz carts the Waterfowl carts are 35g same as we can squeeze into a 3” wad. 

Here you go 

I have seen the 38gm in 2s, but not BB.

Not had this problem with SAM 1, TPS or multi Metal wads in 3 inch Federal or Fiocchi cases, have used some Cheddite cases as well I think with these wads. I use Steel, Blue Dot and Longshot powders shot loads 1 to 1.25 oz. Largest steel shot I have used is B.

Not sure how some are not having a problem with a wad 1/4” longer than others, makes it 1/4” to high a stack to crimp. 

Check the length of your TPS wads against the others you have. I might have a odd batch. 

6 hours ago, motty said:

I have seen the 38gm in 2s, but not BB.

You may be right there Motty.

2 hours ago, figgy said:

Not sure how some are not having a problem with a wad 1/4” longer than others, makes it 1/4” to high a stack to crimp. 

Check the length of your TPS wads against the others you have. I might have a odd batch. 

You may be right there Motty.

Figgy have you checked they are not 3.5" wads .

I've cut all the 3.5 down my father gave me as i don't load 3.5 cartridges but I'll look later to try and find one to measure :good:

16 hours ago, hatsanmad said:

I would stick with EU wads mate. B&P and gulandi wads. Both really good wads both fit really well in cheddite rio and fiocchi hulls and both give good patterns and hold there pressure better tps and multi metal are better suited with remington Winchester cases

Hold their pressure better? Please explain.

Hi

Sorry to jump onto this thread but I have been following it along with Figgy's other one regarding Aliant steel as I am thinking about doing just the same next season.  I am interested in the recipie that Hatsanmad gave for a 36g load using B&P s35 wads.  Am I right in thinking these wads need splitting & if so how far down do folk recommend?

Thanks

1 hour ago, sky gipsy said:

Hi

Sorry to jump onto this thread but I have been following it along with Figgy's other one regarding Aliant steel as I am thinking about doing just the same next season.  I am interested in the recipie that Hatsanmad gave for a 36g load using B&P s35 wads.  Am I right in thinking these wads need splitting & if so how far down do folk recommend?

Thanks

Personally i split 4 ways 3/4 way to the bottom 

7 hours ago, motty said:

Hold their pressure better? Please explain.

American wads are under calibrated (aboutb 0.715mm) to suit US hulls, EU wads are (about 0.725mm). Hence why on manuals, certain wads when coupled with EU hulls, normally need a gas seal or nitro card underneath. Not sure about the ones mentioned though, I know NSI wads are 0.727 mm so, only taking a guess at what hatsan meant

2 hours ago, hatsanmad said:

That's exactly what I meant mate. Tps and mm are not a good fit in EU hulls. They are loose and the base of the wads won't cover the powder so you will get a lot of blow past. So the pressures will be way down meaning speed won't be suitable to even make a clean kill. 

Must admit, though they may be slightly loose fitting, I have never had a problem with speeds or getting clean kills.

I would have thought the pressure would push the sealing skirt open and seal the wad up the barrel. Otherwise overbored guns would never get a wad to seal and be useless.

some pre slit wads are slit all the way down to base.

Edited by figgy