Jump to content

Please Please Help!!


Recommended Posts

Hey every one, ok 2 weeks ago I ordered an FX Impact but after reading a good few things about them going wrong and from Gunsmiths not keyboard warriors on forums, I decided not to go ahead, so basically thus far I have a budget of around £1500-£1800 for an Air Rifle.

I have an option of (what I have come up with so far) Daystate Pulsar + BSA R-10 SE firefly, love the colour of stock, and slight bling of the bolt being chrome, OR AA Ultimate sporter + BSA R-10 Firefly, as I've mentioned I like it a lot, now I've just returned from shooting the AA Ultimate sporter and the R-10 SE, both very very nice guns. My main aim is to get used to which ever gun I choose to purchase then on to a permission to help with vermin, this is my main goal - to hunt...

My rational for 2 guns, possibly a 177 for some hunting but mainly target shooting to get my aim on point and used to the gun, and the 22 for short range hunting, like rats for eg.

I am worried about the AA only having a 60 shot count, especially on the range, hunting not so much an issue, this is where the Daystate or BSA comes in, for range work and then obviously for hunting too. one person has said to me that the AA Ultimate sporter is mainly a target gun, not so much a hunting rifle, now with me being new to this I take everyones opinion on board, especially professionals and gun smiths as well, which I know 2 of own the R-10, and another owns the Daystate Pulsar and says its by far the most accurate gun he has ever shot.

 

Am I overthinking things, or over complicating things for myself as I am struggling for a decision, im very fortunate to be in the position I am in to purchase some of these Rifles, but if anyone here can lend a hand I would be very grateful, so....

Is having a 177 + 22 a good idea and rationalisation?

Is a Daystate Pulsar a good idea?

And finally I guess, is it a good idea for someone new to go for a gun like the Daystate, whichever gun I choose I know im covered with a lifetime warranty for not just servicing, but labour and parts too.

thanks in advance guys, as always.:good:

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey every one, ok 2 weeks ago I ordered an FX Impact but after reading a good few things about them going wrong and from Gunsmiths not keyboard warriors on forums, I decided not to go ahead, so basically thus far I have a budget of around £1500-£1800 for an Air Rifle.

I have an option of (what I have come up with so far) Daystate Pulsar + BSA R-10 SE firefly, love the colour of stock, and slight bling of the bolt being chrome, OR AA Ultimate sporter + BSA R-10 Firefly, as I've mentioned I like it a lot, now I've just returned from shooting the AA Ultimate sporter and the R-10 SE, both very very nice guns. My main aim is to get used to which ever gun I choose to purchase then on to a permission to help with vermin, this is my main goal - to hunt...

My rational for 2 guns, possibly a 177 for some hunting but mainly target shooting to get my aim on point and used to the gun, and the 22 for short range hunting, like rats for eg.

I am worried about the AA only having a 60 shot count, especially on the range, hunting not so much an issue, this is where the Daystate or BSA comes in, for range work and then obviously for hunting too. one person has said to me that the AA Ultimate sporter is mainly a target gun, not so much a hunting rifle, now with me being new to this I take everyones opinion on board, especially professionals and gun smiths as well, which I know 2 of own the R-10, and another owns the Daystate Pulsar and says its by far the most accurate gun he has ever shot.

 

Am I overthinking things, or over complicating things for myself as I am struggling for a decision, im very fortunate to be in the position I am in to purchase some of these Rifles, but if anyone here can lend a hand I would be very grateful, so....

Is having a 177 + 22 a good idea and rationalisation?

Is a Daystate Pulsar a good idea?

And finally I guess, is it a good idea for someone new to go for a gun like the Daystate, whichever gun I choose I know im covered with a lifetime warranty for not just servicing, but labour and parts too.

thanks in advance guys, as always.:good:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I’d stick with one calibe, the hold over points are quite different between the two.  Just a thought, is there a club nearby where you could try a few? It’s a lot of cash to drop if you decide you don’t like it of suffer buyers remorse..

Because of the holdover, especially if you are using it to hunt I’d stick with one calibration and use one pellet as well, personally I’d go for .177 as it’s flattter which makes remake estimation less critical, if you are putting the pellet in the right place then both rifles have the same limitations.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, PPP said:

Personally I’d stick with one calibe, the hold over points are quite different between the two.  Just a thought, is there a club nearby where you could try a few? It’s a lot of cash to drop if you decide you don’t like it of suffer buyers remorse..

Because of the holdover, especially if you are using it to hunt I’d stick with one calibration and use one pellet as well, personally I’d go for .177 as it’s flattter which makes remake estimation less critical, if you are putting the pellet in the right place then both rifles have the same limitations.

Thank you for the advice, appreciate it.

16 minutes ago, turbo33 said:

looking back over your posts, I really think a rather good malt would help your condition:good:

Agreed, a few ciders tonight is in order.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, cervusman said:

I would still to one caliber, I have a Weihrauch HW100 in 177 with a 14 shot mag, and I love it.

I loved shooting the HW100 in laminate a few weeks ago, the cocking lever is sublime, but no offence I found the look a bit too, meh for my taste but a hell of a gun to shoot, not that I know that much lol. I do like my aesthetics and the BSA and the AA especially is very very nice looking.

Link to post
Share on other sites

First off .i really really really .would forget the daystate .all daystates but sepecially the pulsar .

Both the bsa and air arms are great guns and are definately  hunting guns .

Shot count isnt really relavant..you will use the same amount of air in both guns .if your at a range how hard is it to refill the air arms after 60 shots with your bottle next to you .

Hunting ? 60 is 4 times more than you need .usually .

Ive run out of air (bsa ultra 40 shots) Once in years and years of hunting 

Have you budgeted for scope mounts  .millions of pellets .chrono, bipod ,bag 

Silencer .etc .it all adds up .

As far as cal .id also stick with just one ..177 .best for hft .target comps etc .

Best for short range rats 

Best for long range rabbits .

Best for tree shot squirrels /pige etc 

Cheaper .and more choice ...

22 best for. ...... er ... pigeon body shots 

If you fancy 2 guns get your high end pcp .bsa /airarms 

Then a nice light weight no frills springer also in .177 

Bsa lightening .hw 95  walther terrus etc 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, atyl1972 said:

Yes but they also have a large tank there, I'll have to ask if it is free to refill

Presume you don't have a tank of your own, if you go hunting you'll probably need your own then.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

First off .i really really really .would forget the daystate .all daystates but sepecially the pulsar .

Both the bsa and air arms are great guns and are definately  hunting guns .

Shot count isnt really relavant..you will use the same amount of air in both guns .if your at a range how hard is it to refill the air arms after 60 shots with your bottle next to you .

Hunting ? 60 is 4 times more than you need .usually .

Ive run out of air (bsa ultra 40 shots) Once in years and years of hunting 

Have you budgeted for scope mounts  .millions of pellets .chrono, bipod ,bag 

Silencer .etc .it all adds up .

As far as cal .id also stick with just one ..177 .best for hft .target comps etc .

Best for short range rats 

Best for long range rabbits .

Best for tree shot squirrels /pige etc 

Cheaper .and more choice ...

22 best for. ...... er ... pigeon body shots 

If you fancy 2 guns get your high end pcp .bsa /airarms 

Then a nice light weight no frills springer also in .177 

Bsa lightening .hw 95  walther terrus etc 

 

 

yes scope is sorted, with the impact it came with a hard case so didn't have to worry, but now I will have to get a decent case, and a bipod as well, and zillions of pellets too, but thanks for all the advice guys, 177 it is then I guess. :yahoo:

Just now, atyl1972 said:

yes scope is sorted, with the impact it came with a hard case so didn't have to worry, but now I will have to get a decent case, and a bipod as well, and zillions of pellets too, but thanks for all the advice guys, 177 it is then I guess. :yahoo:

oh, and tank sorted as well, so that budget is simply the gun.

2 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

I doubt that it would be free ..why would it be .? 

Are you getting a bottle or pump to fill these guns .?

bottle is sorted, a 5 ltr one. I have heard that you can refill at ranges as long as you're a member its free, will ask the question tomorrow.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it a 300 bar one ? 

You dont want a 230 bar bottle .as it wont fill your gun many times .

Also the compressor that fills your bottle will need to run to 300 bar .so a dive  shop ideally .

 

Also is it a new bottle .? As they need testing every 5 years .

A pump circumvents all the above and is free air 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Is it a 300 bar one ? 

You dont want a 230 bar bottle .as it wont fill your gun many times .

Also the compressor that fills your bottle will need to run to 300 bar .so a dive  shop ideally .

 

Also is it a new bottle .? As they need testing every 5 years .

A pump circumvents all the above and is free air 

yes it is a 300 bar, brand new.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good .

The max fill on any bottle is 300 bar .

So to fill yours it needs to come from a dedicated compressor .

If its only filled from another larger bottle .then you wont get a 300 bar fill in yours. It will always be less .

So its important to know how your gonna fill your bottle before you buy one .

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ultrastu said:

First off .i really really really .would forget the daystate .all daystates but sepecially the pulsar .

Both the bsa and air arms are great guns and are definately  hunting guns .

Shot count isnt really relavant..you will use the same amount of air in both guns .if your at a range how hard is it to refill the air arms after 60 shots with your bottle next to you .

Hunting ? 60 is 4 times more than you need .usually .

Ive run out of air (bsa ultra 40 shots) Once in years and years of hunting 

Have you budgeted for scope mounts  .millions of pellets .chrono, bipod ,bag 

Silencer .etc .it all adds up .

As far as cal .id also stick with just one ..177 .best for hft .target comps etc .

Best for short range rats 

Best for long range rabbits .

Best for tree shot squirrels /pige etc 

Cheaper .and more choice ...

22 best for. ...... er ... pigeon body shots 

If you fancy 2 guns get your high end pcp .bsa /airarms 

Then a nice light weight no frills springer also in .177 

Bsa lightening .hw 95  walther terrus etc 

 

 

Why not the Daystates?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Newbie to this said:

Choose a gun you like. I can't give anymore advice than that. Don't worry about shot count, if you need 60 shots while hunting, you're either having a really good day or something is wrong. 

not for hunting, but target shooting on the range to prep me for hunting, I mean my club is 9am - 4pm, how many bloody times will I have to refill, lol

Link to post
Share on other sites

Shooting from a bench is ok .and will help you zero your gun .and give you an idea of the trajectory (on the level) and the aimpoints required to hit your targets at different ranges .

But its not a great substitute  for field practice when it comes to hunting .

So many people zero their gun at a set range then take it hunting and wonder why they cant hit / kill anything they shoot at. 

Take your gun out in the woods and set up small targets . (Apples . Acorns  . steel knockdowns ) anything to simulate  a samll kill zone .and shoot them from all sorts if positions ..lying standing .kneeling etc ..

Elevated shots (different trajectory to on the level .)

 

This will prepare you for hunting .

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Shooting from a bench is ok .and will help you zero your gun .and give you an idea of the trajectory (on the level) and the aimpoints required to hit your targets at different ranges .

But its not a great substitute  for field practice when it comes to hunting .

So many people zero their gun at a set range then take it hunting and wonder why they cant hit / kill anything they shoot at. 

Take your gun out in the woods and set up small targets . (Apples . Acorns  . steel knockdowns ) anything to simulate  a samll kill zone .and shoot them from all sorts if positions ..lying standing .kneeling etc ..

Elevated shots (different trajectory to on the level .)

 

This will prepare you for hunting .

Take my gun in the woods, what and get arrested?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ps .i believe  the reason i did so well in the comps i entered was because i was a hunter first  and foremost .Hft .is designed to simulate hunting so my hunting skills translated very well .

Just now, atyl1972 said:

Take my gun in the woods, what and get arrested?

What ???? You on about 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Ps .i believe  the reason i did so well in the comps i entered was because i was a hunter first  and foremost .Hft .is designed to simulate hunting so my hunting skills translated very well .

What ???? You on about 

You said for me to take the gun in the woods, well unless it's a permission which I do not yet have, I would get arrested for having the gun in a public place, wouldn't I? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...