Please Please Help!!

atyl1972

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still wouldn't buy a new rifle, its a lot of money for your first gun, go second hand, see how you get on, have a good time through the summer, hopefully by then you should love it, hopefully know what you want, then look at getting a new rifle, or another second hand, you can only shoot one at once .

3 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Still wouldn't buy a new rifle, its a lot of money for your first gun, go second hand, see how you get on, have a good time through the summer, hopefully by then you should love it, hopefully know what you want, then look at getting a new rifle, or another second hand, you can only shoot one at once .

Trouble is I already got some finance sorted, not a lot but still. but the AA I cannot get outa my head it was gorgeous to shoot as well, so much reason to lean towards that gun, adjustability, cocking lever is fantastic and the magazine, sling mounts, stock colour, feel etc etc :good:

5 minutes ago, atyl1972 said:

Trouble is I already got some finance sorted, not a lot but still. but the AA I cannot get outa my head it was gorgeous to shoot as well, so much reason to lean towards that gun, adjustability, cocking lever is fantastic and the magazine, sling mounts, stock colour, feel etc etc :good:

Then simple buy it, no one ever said they weren't happy with an AA, good if not great reputation and i cant imagine you wouldn't like it.

I think you may be putting the Cart before the Horse here. AFAIK you don't even have a perm to use a gun on yet and whilst anyone can buy a gun, finding somewhere to use it is far more difficult. Buy a reasonable, used, well known PCP and get some time under your belt before spending a small fortune on equipment - expensive gear does not kill vermin/game, it's the nut behind the breach that brings home the bacon and for many years experienced shooters will be able to out shoot you with a £100 springer. You keep mentioning the looks of a gun as well - this is of little advantage unless you want to just sit in a bush and hug the thing. Oh - .177 great idea........unless you come across a squizzer  :whistling:.

11 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

I think you may be putting the Cart before the Horse here. AFAIK you don't even have a perm to use a gun on yet and whilst anyone can buy a gun, finding somewhere to use it is far more difficult. Buy a reasonable, used, well known PCP and get some time under your belt before spending a small fortune on equipment - expensive gear does not kill vermin/game, it's the nut behind the breach that brings home the bacon and for many years experienced shooters will be able to out shoot you with a £100 springer. You keep mentioning the looks of a gun as well - this is of little advantage unless you want to just sit in a bush and hug the thing. Oh - .177 great idea........unless you come across a squizzer  .

apart from the passion of wanting to learn the sport and attend clubs and learn the gun and ranges, a lot of shooters won't admit to wanting a "looker" of a gun, where as aesthetics is always a factor for me personally. its like having a nice car, it makes you wanna drive it more, but agree on the cost element of a brand new gun but as I have mentioned I already have a little finance arrangement set in place to afford me a very decent gun, and of course all the pcp's will outshoot me, but isn't that the fun of learning and trying to conquer?

What a reasonable reply. If you can afford it have what you want, start with a 177 and buy a 22 later if you need it or even an fac 25.

Just don't buy one of them ugly guns, BSA, Brocock, Daystate you know, the ones you can only take out of the slip after dark. 

?

1 hour ago, Mr.C said:

What a reasonable reply. If you can afford it have what you want, start with a 177 and buy a 22 later if you need it or even an fac 25.

Just don't buy one of them ugly guns, BSA, Brocock, Daystate you know, the ones you can only take out of the slip after dark. 

?

Now the can have worms have just opened...what do you consider to be an ugly gun, just an opinion of course, which last time I checked, all was entitled to?

4 minutes ago, winnie&bezza said:

Ugly guns- Weihrauch hw100 & 110 ? any bull pups or modernistic looking things. 

personally don’t like any laminated or colour full stocks.

this is my type 

5F0F0475-712C-4BE8-8E88-3DB47F21357F.png

Yes well, each to their own but me personally I do not like the look or feel of the stock on the HW100 but what a gun to shoot, but I do not like wooden stocks, they're too plain for my taste. I really like the laminate in most rifles, in particular I like the AA Ultimate sporter stock, I'm considering the Daystate Pulsar but not seen one in person yet, so will wait for that before I make the decision to purchase or not, there is so much choice for every taste out there..that is the problem. 

Er....OP if you dont have a permission yet then more than 1 rifle is pointless imho. Get 1 good all-rounder R10 Mk2 or AA. You dont have to spend all that money eg a BSA Scorpion is very good value. 

.22 is imho the more all-round calibre than .177 but thats another argument.

2 minutes ago, DC177 said:

Er....OP if you dont have a permission yet then more than 1 rifle is pointless imho. Get 1 good all-rounder R10 Mk2 or AA. You dont have to spend all that money eg a BSA Scorpion is very good value. 

.22 is imho the more all-round calibre than .177 but thats another argument.

.177 is definitely where I'm heading, I appreciate everyones advice regarding the spending, but I do have finance set up, changed my mind over the Impact due to the handling etc, so have got in excess of £1500 that I need to use towards a rifle, I have mentioned 2 rifles because of that amount of funds, I have shot both the Ultimate Sporter, and the R-10 SE, or go down the route of 1 gun, like the Pulsar. theres even the route of, say the sporter and a Nitesite kit in prep for a perm.

Sorry matey you’re saying you have finances set up 

not I’ve a few£££ to spend 

this is a hobby you’ve no where other than the range to shoot 

seems to me your after a look at me and my gun 

have what you want and what you can afford there’s no need to strap yourself up with finance package 

its about enjoying the sport not 

impressing people with what gear you have 

appolgies if I seem harsh 

all the best 

of 

24 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Sorry matey you’re saying you have finances set up 

not I’ve a few£££ to spend 

this is a hobby you’ve no where other than the range to shoot 

seems to me your after a look at me and my gun 

have what you want and what you can afford there’s no need to strap yourself up with finance package 

its about enjoying the sport not 

impressing people with what gear you have 

appolgies if I seem harsh 

all the best 

of 

thats your opinion, fine but it's not all about the bling bling, I love the look of a few AA guns and I don't think they're all that pretty, I'm new and simply asking for advice, some people would say, yes get a Impact or a Pulsar due to their accuracy that would then  bring me confidence, and yes I admit I like nice things, I work hard for what I've got, and I literally don't care what people think of the  gun I choose, as long as I like it and it fits then I'm happy.

OF has given you some good advice above. You are obviously new to shooting, as your post under Vermin shows. If you decide it is not for you, or decide you have bought the wrong gun, then you will have lost a lot of money and the "finance" will still be there. I would suggest that you learn your trade initially with a halfway decent springer, try a few high end rifles and then make a choice. Most of us have in the past bought guns with starry eyed enthusiasm and then soon after why we did it - some of us still do !

Not sure that you are still on my Christmas card list now as you have hinted that not all AA guns are "that pretty"....name and shame the ugly one Sir (do not include the S200 for obvious reasons) or I will be forced to gather my Pram Toys in preparation for a good throwing session.

Just now, bruno22rf said:

Not sure that you are still on my Christmas card list now as you have hinted that not all AA guns are "that pretty"....name and shame the ugly one Sir (do not include the S200 for obvious reasons) or I will be forced to gather my Pram Toys in preparation for a good throwing session.

I really really like the s510 ultimate sporter, shot her yesterday, well well nice looking gun and feels awesome to shoot, but that god darn shot count, I'm a newbie and shouldn't be bothered by it probably, but I am hence me contemplating the US and A.N Other, with higher shot count.

I can understand that you desire what you consider to be the very best that you can buy in an attempt to give you the best chances of success, be it paper or vermin, but the vast majority of "advantages" that manufacturers bolt to their guns are simply baited hooks for the innocent purchaser. Been shooting for near 40 years and using PCP's from the early days, although not really a hobby shooter as most of my shooting is pest control, I have never needed to recharge a gun during a session and cannot imagine many situations where it would be needed - maybe shooting branchers (that I no longer undertake) or Rat blatting (where a break would be welcome anyway) I really think you should maybe find someone to take you out hunting before you can decide for yourself what is, or is not, needed.

5 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

I can understand that you desire what you consider to be the very best that you can buy in an attempt to give you the best chances of success, be it paper or vermin, but the vast majority of "advantages" that manufacturers bolt to their guns are simply baited hooks for the innocent purchaser. Been shooting for near 40 years and using PCP's from the early days, although not really a hobby shooter as most of my shooting is pest control, I have never needed to recharge a gun during a session and cannot imagine many situations where it would be needed - maybe shooting branchers (that I no longer undertake) or Rat blatting (where a break would be welcome anyway) I really think you should maybe find someone to take you out hunting before you can decide for yourself what is, or is not, needed.

I have been out a couple of times and observed, once at night time ratting with a Nitesite viper I think it was, that was a real good experience and probably what got me interested in air rifles again as I used to shoot 30 years ago, now I love technology and the latest gadgets but the more I think about it the more I'm going off slightly the electric guns, for on the range and accuracy testing etc it would be awesome to have accuracy over 50 yds, but not needed for hunting. my only gripe with the ultimate sporter is the shot count when I'll be at the range practising and getting used to the gun, I don't want to really be filling up every 15 minutes, I know it takes seconds to refill but it's going to be the amount of times during the session.are there other options that I have missed out on, wolverine r looks nice.

Well you cant have everything. Thats why a good all-rounder is where you should be looking. Get ONE good rifle and master it. R10 se mk2, AA s410/s510 etc maybe plus a good springer for training. The danger here as I see it is that you could end up like those middle aged blokes going into American Golf every 6 months to change their driver. Or before you know it you have 6 guns in the cabinet.

25 minutes ago, atyl1972 said:

I have been out a couple of times and observed, once at night time ratting with a Nitesite viper I think it was, that was a real good experience and probably what got me interested in air rifles again as I used to shoot 30 years ago, now I love technology and the latest gadgets but the more I think about it the more I'm going off slightly the electric guns, for on the range and accuracy testing etc it would be awesome to have accuracy over 50 yds, but not needed for hunting. my only gripe with the ultimate sporter is the shot count when I'll be at the range practising and getting used to the gun, I don't want to really be filling up every 15 minutes, I know it takes seconds to refill but it's going to be the amount of times during the session.are there other options that I have missed out on, wolverine r looks nice.

No, I think you have covered just about everything, now go and buy one.:yes: