Please Please Help!!

atyl1972

I echo the sentiments of some of the posts about investing so much money into 2 PCPs. Both will be good to shoot and accurate to the point of being boring. 

Being on a range with a PCP becomes tedious after about 10 minutes. A PCP is great for hunting but a good springer is more entertaining and I believe will make you a better shooter in the long run.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, timmytree said:

I echo the sentiments of some of the posts about investing so much money into 2 PCPs. Both will be good to shoot and accurate to the point of being boring. 

Being on a range with a PCP becomes tedious after about 10 minutes. A PCP is great for hunting but a good springer is more entertaining and I believe will make you a better shooter in the long run.

if you're saying it'll be tedious due to multi shot, then I plan to use single shot trays, depending obviously if I get a gun which utilises one, but until I go and shoot with my rifle then I won't know how boring it'll get on the range, I can imagine if I shoot tight groups at certain distances, then yes whats next. luckily I have a friend who has a field that I can practise in too, so plan on small targets at various ranges, prone shooting, standing and resting etc.

its never ending :lol:

just because you have finance in place doesn't mean you have to spend it.

go buy a decent springer from your local gun shop, this you won't need to recharge, you'll learn way more than with a pcp, give yourself another 6 months looking at pretty guns then go buy the one you want, could even trade in the springer?

Please avoid the electronic daystates .

Once you shoot a pulsar you will know what i mean. Your choice between the r10 and s510 or even the hw 100 (not 110 )  is spot on .

Ps a wildcat is a great gun .but for your first pcp id stick with a rifle not a bullpup 

36 minutes ago, DC177 said:

Well you cant have everything. Thats why a good all-rounder is where you should be looking. Get ONE good rifle and master it. R10 se mk2, AA s410/s510 etc maybe plus a good springer for training. The danger here as I see it is that you could end up like those middle aged blokes going into American Golf every 6 months to change their driver. Or before you know it you have 6 guns in the cabinet.

doesn't every bloke have GAS :good:

Just now, atyl1972 said:

if you're saying it'll be tedious due to multi shot, then I plan to use single shot trays, depending obviously if I get a gun which utilises one, but until I go and shoot with my rifle then I won't know how boring it'll get on the range, I can imagine if I shoot tight groups at certain distances, then yes whats next. luckily I have a friend who has a field that I can practise in too, so plan on small targets at various ranges, prone shooting, standing and resting etc.

No, it gets boring because a PCP needs very little input from the shooter. You can grip it in a workmate and shoot pellets through the hole all day long, you@ll do the same on the range unless you're shooting standing. Single shot trays will slow down the rate at which you shoot but can be tedious to use and somewhat fiddly.

I only shoot a springer now, even for hunting simply because I got so bored with a PCP I sold it.

2 hours ago, Mice! said:

its never ending

just because you have finance in place doesn't mean you have to spend it.

go buy a decent springer from your local gun shop, this you won't need to recharge, you'll learn way more than with a pcp, give yourself another 6 months looking at pretty guns then go buy the one you want, could even trade in the springer?

This is what I would suggest, and also as has been said , just because you have the finance available you do not have to spend it all at once.

Get a decent s/h springer it can only help you make a better, second decision.

On 31/03/2018 at 18:54, Ultrastu said:

First off .i really really really .would forget the daystate .all daystates but sepecially the pulsar .

Both the bsa and air arms are great guns and are definately  hunting guns .

Shot count isnt really relavant..you will use the same amount of air in both guns .if your at a range how hard is it to refill the air arms after 60 shots with your bottle next to you .

Hunting ? 60 is 4 times more than you need .usually .

Ive run out of air (bsa ultra 40 shots) Once in years and years of hunting 

Have you budgeted for scope mounts  .millions of pellets .chrono, bipod ,bag 

Silencer .etc .it all adds up .

As far as cal .id also stick with just one ..177 .best for hft .target comps etc .

Best for short range rats 

Best for long range rabbits .

Best for tree shot squirrels /pige etc 

Cheaper .and more choice ...

22 best for. ...... er ... pigeon body shots 

If you fancy 2 guns get your high end pcp .bsa /airarms 

Then a nice light weight no frills springer also in .177 

Bsa lightening .hw 95  walther terrus etc 

Very sound advice ultra, with the US being non regulated, is there a massive difference between a regulated gun against a non reg gun regarding accuracy, at the beginning of the fill and the end of fill?

On 31/03/2018 at 19:00, Ultrastu said:

I doubt that it would be free ..why would it be .? 

Are you getting a bottle or pump to fill these guns .?

10p per refill, pretty cheap.

The short answer to are regged guns worth it. ? 

Imo for sub 12 out to 50 yds ? In .177

NO .

for fac long range guns yes .

The reason .

Well the usual (what i and millions  of others )do .is shoot your un regged gun in a 0.75 of a fpe .window 

So from say 10.75  fpe at 230 bar ,up to 11.5 fpe at 190 bar  and on to 10.75 fpe at 140 bar .

Giving a 0.75 fpe range .

Stick to this and all your pellets will drop into an inch circle at 50 yds. Accuracy withstanding ofcourse 

If you can afford it, having a reg fitted is worth it. My Scorpion is much more consistent with the flatter power curve and has a higher shot count. However I admit I could live without it as I fill my rifles to 200bar and hunt with the first magazine, which are consistent in power.

On 31/03/2018 at 21:44, Fisheruk said:

If he takes this long about choosing a gun, how long will he take choosing a pellet 

I have decide upon the FX Crown everyone, it has the same "Innards" as the Impact which I loved shooting, but also has the benefit of a traditional stock so I can use a sling and bipod easily, 600+ shots which negates the fact that I was worried about shot count on the Air Arms Ultimate Sporter (which I may still get) it also has the looks that I wanted, can interchange between .22 and .177 so all basis should be covered.

Thanks to everyone's input with this, I may not have agreed or liked what some said but I appreciate all opinions that were offered. :yahoo:

2 hours ago, atyl1972 said:

I have decide upon the FX Crown everyone, it has the same "Innards" as the Impact which I loved shooting, but also has the benefit of a traditional stock so I can use a sling and bipod easily, 600+ shots which negates the fact that I was worried about shot count on the Air Arms Ultimate Sporter (which I may still get) it also has the looks that I wanted, can interchange between .22 and .177 so all basis should be covered.

Thanks to everyone's input with this, I may not have agreed or liked what some said but I appreciate all opinions that were offered. :yahoo:

Are you 100% sure about this? ??

8 minutes ago, winnie&bezza said:

Are you 100% sure about this? ??

Well having read the reviews it seems people who have this rifle spend more time faffing about with the setting than they do shooting it, time for a rethink me thinks.

Now what about a…….:hmm:

Just now, bruno22rf said:

Excellent choice....according to youtube review it gets more accurate the further you shoot it and pulling the shroud out increases the barrel length. I'm off now to order mine and then feed my unicorns before bedding down.

and you can exchange between calibre's, 2 guns in 1

And it costs more than 2 decent PCP's to buy, I have to ask roughly how much they have quoted for it, as soon as you leave the shop you will be shedding £50 notes. After a few months can you let us know just how much better it is than, say an R10, and how they can justify such a ridiculous price tag - always thought that Daystate owned that monopoly. 

1 minute ago, bruno22rf said:

And it costs more than 2 decent PCP's to buy, I have to ask roughly how much they have quoted for it, as soon as you leave the shop you will be shedding £50 notes. After a few months can you let us know just how much better it is than, say an R10, and how they can justify such a ridiculous price tag - always thought that Daystate owned that monopoly. 

if you check on youtube you'll see how good it is in accuracy to say, 2 decent pcp rifles, at 50 yards - 150 shots, not 1 flyer, no settings adjusted, straight out the box allegedly, price = a few more coffees compared to the Impact, I don't care what people think of the cost if I have the funds to spend then thats my business, I've held it, it shoots exactly like the impact but more accurate it seems due to the new x barrel. I originally came on here to ask for advice, got a few comments that didn't agree well with me and I thought this forum **** is the worst place for me to go and ask, as theres always someone here to bring the other person down somehow or way or other. I've now got my gun, I'm gonna learn it, shoot it and kill with it just what they're meant for, only this gun is gonna be 100% more accurate than any other pcp air rifle out there. 

"Going to be 100% more accurate than any other PCP air rifle out there" ? I've read some stupid statements on this forum before but that one deserves a whole packet of biscuits. Not going to comment on your posts anymore as your true colours are plain for all to see.

Just now, bruno22rf said:

"Going to be 100% more accurate than any other PCP air rifle out there" ? I've read some stupid statements on this forum before but that one deserves a whole packet of biscuits. Not going to comment on your posts anymore as your true colours are plain for all to see.

lolz, see the videos on yt, I'm no liar you'll see the top guys from all over test, review, tune these guns and every new top pcp out there, your response optimises everything bad about coming on here asking for advice and tips as a beginner, don't know why you responded like that and quite simply I do not care and certainly won't lose any sleep tonight over it, fact...what FX are doing with their guns over the last 3 years has shocked every other manufacturer, not just looks and design, but out and out quality and precision. I wonder what you shoot??

1 minute ago, atyl1972 said:

lolz, see the videos on yt, I'm no liar you'll see the top guys from all over test, review, tune these guns and every new top pcp out there, your response optimises everything bad about coming on here asking for advice and tips as a beginner, don't know why you responded like that and quite simply I do not care and certainly won't lose any sleep tonight over it, fact...what FX are doing with their guns over the last 3 years has shocked every other manufacturer, not just looks and design, but out and out quality and precision. I wonder what you shoot??

Oh and make them hob nobs ok!