Built-up Areas

Cranfield

How do you cope with shooting in relatively built-up areas?

On the farm that I shoot, most of the fields are at least half a mile from the nearest houses.

However, there are two of the fields that have houses up two sides, are rectangular and are only about 20 acres.

Both have been drilled and are being visited steadily by pigeons.

I can "legally" shoot on both of these fields, but I could cause quite a bit of noise disturbance to the local inhabitants.

The farmer has a "banger" on the fields at present,going off at about 20 minute intervals.

What would you do?

i dont think i would shoot so close to houses as well as the noise your shot can carry a long way the one thing i would say is make yourself known to the locals if your polite and can be seen to be safe they dont worry so much i always ask if they eat game if they do offer to drop some round

I would say you should be okay if you can fire away from the houses.To avoid being met by the police helicopter(As three of my clients and I were last summer!),its probably best to let the local police know if you are shooting close to houses.This also prevents the police from taking any action should somebody phone just to have you removed,and keeps you in with the local Plod,which is always handy :(

Hiya Cranfield

Last year I shot a field that was bordered by a ring road & the Police Headquarters.Each time I went, I made an incident report before I started, giving my details & the time I was starting.I was given an incident number & when I finished I rang them, quoted the number & told them I'd finished.It may have seemed to be alot of fuss, but I was told to do this by a policeman, & he said if I did'nt they may have called out an armed response unit.As I value my Certificate, I did as I was asked & had no trouble.

• 10 years later...

Hiya Cranfield

Last year I shot a field that was bordered by a ring road & the Police Headquarters.Each time I went, I made an incident report before I started, giving my details & the time I was starting.I was given an incident number & when I finished I rang them, quoted the number & told them I'd finished.It may have seemed to be alot of fuss, but I was told to do this by a policeman, & he said if I did'nt they may have called out an armed response unit.As I value my Certificate, I did as I was asked & had no trouble.

What a ball ache! Do you think they we're pulling your pud?

this thread was a blast from the past , it was back when cranfield was a newbie and deako wasnt a pigeon decoy villan lol .

No seriously. That's just how I roll. I literally do this in real life too. I'll be sat with my mates in the pub, and I#ll just zone out and glaze over. Then maybe weeks later I'll lurch forward in my seat and reply to what they said.