17 HMR

shawn9914

3 minutes ago, shawn9914 said:

Many thanks everyone

Only issue in my head now is I have ordered the new tikka t1x in 22lr but I keep wondering if I should have gone for the 17hmr version 

That would require a variation to acquire it.

I prefer the HMR for bunnies, though it is more expensive to run and noisier ... which is not as bad as you might think unless you are considering nearby residents complaining.

The three main reasons being: 

It has less ricochet potential.  

It has a much longer point and shoot range so is more forgiving in regards to range estimation - if you propose to shoot under a lamp that becomes trickier than daylight shooting.

The supersonic crack confuses them about your location so you can often take multiple shots before other bunnies scarper - my personal best in one sitting video. The initial flickering was me quietly cycling the integrated illuminator power setting from hi through low to medium:

Edited by Dave-G

I have both. The 22RF is deadly quiet, the bullet arriving makes more noise ....lovely sound  THHHWOCKKKK!!

The 17HMR I use where longer shots may be required and often will have both in the pop up if I'm covering say a woodland ride 200yrds long but have a couple of feeders 40 - 50yrds away. Thats on the tree rats.  Same with rabbits when covering woodland edge or recently down the edge of a field adjacent to a railway line. 

Yes, definitely, you need two rifles:yes::good:

Back up Dave G.  If a multi chance occurs then shoot the furthest one first, the others will often move towards you, certainly works on foxes ...my record was five as fast as I could load the Encore with the 17 Rem barrels on.  The first at about 100 and the last was right under the seat at 20yrds.  Vixen and four well grown cubs.

Edited by Walker570

15 minutes ago, shawn9914 said:

Just been reading loads of posts on the subject and I am going to stick with the 22 and apply for hmr on my ticket when I renew in January 

Good idea, but a variation for an extra calibre is only £20 if you decide not to wait.

It' not the £20 variation that' the problem it's the gun the scope the nv wolf kit I've just bought also need to get another shotgun and all the decoys hide kit etc etc etc  oh and the wife moaning about what it costs to go shooting again ?

Why on earth did I sell everything 2 years ago biggest regret I have I think

I know something I will never sell all my fishing gear even though it's  not getting used at this time in my life 

Edited by shawn9914

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/04/2018 at 20:45, shawn9914 said:

My open ticket has my 22lr and space for a 223

My land is passed for 223 but if I want a 17 hmr would I need to get the land assessed or would it be OK if passed for 223

Cheers

if i have read correct you have an open ticket so why do you need to worry about you land being passed!

if your hmr variation comes back the same on an open ticket just crack on.

On ‎12‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 15:31, Remimax said:

if i have read correct you have an open ticket so why do you need to worry about you land being passed!

if your hmr variation comes back the same on an open ticket just crack on.

Well spotted!

Just a random aside...is it true the Grey has been eradicated from Anglesey?