Handheld Thermal Imaging

squirrel shooter

There is a test in rifle magazine somewhere if you can find it. Although it does not test the smaller ones. This might help https://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php/149018-Pulsar-XP-XQ-Spotter-range-comparison-Excellent-see-for-your-self?highlight=pulsar You can see that with the larger ones there is not much difference in the picture.  I use a xq38f which is great for spotting but i would not want to shoot with it. I think for spotting there is not a lot to choose from between them all. So my advice would be to get the cheapest Blackwood outdoors is worth a look and good service. With all of them if the moisture content in the air is low the picture can be excellent but if not it can be hard to tell the difference between a close squirrel and a distant deer.

If from your avatar you are shooting squirrels then range is not critical. You will me amazed at what you see. Out the other night and we could see 10+ magpies in a bush. Equally good in the day.

Thanks oowee

1 minute ago, squirrel shooter said:

Thanks oowee

There are so many models out there, i want it for wild boar and foxes. Just want to spot out to about 500 yards or so, I see Scott and country are selling the XQ19f for £1400 at the minute. Can record on that model as well. I'm sure it will do what I want it too

I have the 38 but i think the 19 will do for spotting. The only picture i want is when the target is dead. The quality of picture does not change that much practically and it will spot a very long way. The issue is not the distance but making out what it is you are looking at. Easier when it moves.

On 01/04/2018 at 22:44, squirrel shooter said:

Thanks oowee

There are so many models out there, i want it for wild boar and foxes. Just want to spot out to about 500 yards or so, I see Scott and country are selling the XQ19f for £1400 at the minute. Can record on that model as well. I'm sure it will do what I want it too

Avoid the XQ19 its a discontinued model and not very good, due to the very small lens...  Go for a Helion XQ38F /XQ50F or upwards. Trust me spend the extra, its definitely worth it in the long run..

Edited by Mini Magnum

• 2 months later...
On 03/04/2018 at 09:10, fister said:

I have a 50 and would far prefer the 38  btw

Can I renew this and ask why? 

Theres an ex demo 50F available somewhere for £1854 ... cheaper than the 38 and some say a good saving ... tempted if they’re that good when out ?

all depends on how often you use these bits of kit. you generally get what you pay for. all the top end bits of thermal and nv are better than most people would think. i shoot with some people that have thousands of pounds worth of kit and have nowhere to use it. i also have people that have thousands of pounds worth of kit and use it constant. i think if you have the need for this equipment then buy the most expensive you can afford you will not be disappointed by performance.

i use a add on and 38 spotter on which is fantastic. to be fair i have a large amount of use for it. a mate has a smaller 30 thermal spotter which is perfectly adequate for the job. not sure what the 19 are like i suppose they would be ok. i would never want to shoot with thermal scope as i think id recognition is not good enough and i have used a xq50 scope. 

these bits of kit wont make quarry fall at your feet but they do help. if you are already putting decent numbers on the ground this will improve things if not it wont make miracles happen.  biggest factor for me is it worth it but i am tight as a duck a**e.