Tree identification please

Bobba

Can anyone identify this tree please?

The blossom is as per photo. Its' branches have large thorns. It bears a stoned fruit which looks something like a small plumb, starting off yellow / orange in colour then darkening to a sort of victoria plumb colour (We have never been tempted to eat them!). The overall shape / size of the tree is not known as it has been extensively pruned and capped over the years. The trunk is about 45" in circumference.

Thank you

Tree2.jpg

Looks like Prunus spinosa (Blackthorn ) but it may be a cultivar of a cultivated plum. Blackthorn are just coming into flower now. Don't get a thorn in your hand as they are problematic if you do.

Edited by JDog

Blackthorn has sloes as fruits.  There are also wild damsons and bullaces - which are related.  All of the blackthorn/hawthorn/May tree and damson/plum trees are loosely related I think.

I agree with JDog and my guess would also be that this is a blackthorn.  The thorn pricks seem to be prone to infection and poor healing.

It does look sort of like blackthorn but it's hard to tell from the picture. the blossom has five petals and those long stamen, the bark looks Blackthorney rather than Hawthorney. Can you get a close up photo of the bark on the trunk please? and a closer photo of the twiggy ends and the blossom? 

2 hours ago, Bobba said:

Can anyone identify this tree please?

The blossom is as per photo. Its' branches have large thorns. It bears a stoned fruit which looks something like a small plumb, starting off yellow / orange in colour then darkening to a sort of victoria plumb colour (We have never been tempted to eat them!). The overall shape / size of the tree is not known as it has been extensively pruned and capped over the years. The trunk is about 45" in circumference.

Thank you

Does sound like Balckthorn except the colour of the fruits!

35 minutes ago, ClemFandango said:

It does look sort of like blackthorn but it's hard to tell from the picture. the blossom has five petals and those long stamen, the bark looks Blackthorney rather than Hawthorney. Can you get a close up photo of the bark on the trunk please? and a closer photo of the twiggy ends and the blossom? 

Usually (well atleast up here by time hawthorn flowers come out the tree is well budded if not in full leaf.

Must admit i never look at the flowers that closely

I always think now's a great time of yesar to look for sloes/blackthorn as there pretty much the only tree flowering and have no leafs on

Bullus or wild plum loads of types as it' down to pollination of the blossom ,so each one could be unique . That' is how cultivated varieties started, someone found a good one and reproduced it ,the plums will probably be very nice and perfectly safe to eat.

Edited by muncher

Thank you one and all for suggestions thus far. In response to Q's about photo of trunk etc attached are two more piccies. 

Other info is that the fruit when full size is about 3/4" - 1.0" diameter. The photo of the tree suggests that without the pruning and capping over the years it could have been a pretty large tree. Also included is a photo of the trunk.

Thank you.

Tree3.jpg

The trunk

Tree4.jpg

Edited by Bobba

1 hour ago, Benthejockey said:

Wild plum tree. We have them on the river ground, the plums vary from a apricot yellow right through to a dark red. My biggest problem was catching them ripe before the horses found them. The yellow ones always tasted a bit blander than the redder ones. 

Spot on my friend.