Norfolk County Council Charging For D I Y Rubbish

marsh man

From the 1st of April ( no its not April fool ) our local council is charging for certain items of d I y waste , such as , doors, sinks, glass , plasterboard , brick rubble , car tyres ( £4.00 each ) , fence panels and a number of other items , the charges range from £3 to £9 a item , or a 80 litre bag .

They are hoping to make a saving of up to £280.000. ,

I can well imagine , whatever they gain by charging for d I y waste at the depot is going to be eaten up several times over by removing fly tipping rubbish from out lovely countryside.

Surely savings could be made by closing early , shutting up for one day a week or putting it out to us council tax payers for suggestions .

Do your council charge for disposing d I y items ? and do you think charging is a good or bad idea ?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hampshire have been doing this for a few years now...strange how they never ask to see your commercial vehicle pass now that theyre making money out of EVERYTHING that gets taken there.

Green waste is composted and sold back to us, anything that looks remotely usable is taken by the ****** that run the tip to be sold on and now DIY waste is profitable for them too:hmm:

No wonder fly tipping is on the rise!

I hate taking anything to the tip, but anything I do take I make sure its properly unusable.

Already in today’s EDP some fly tipping of forty odd tyres in one of Norwich’s parks.

Whenever I visit the tip its always staffed by five or more wandering up and down, but not actually helping out except to look at some items or go through cases looking for ‘loot’

Our tip in France was run using a card from the Council which allowed up to two tonnes per year and they accepted all types of materials of which it seemed to be then sub-sorted for recycling- last year they even did away with the card system

Edited by Jaymo

At my tip, south ribble you can get a permit for rubble allows you ten bags a year free or pay per bag, no vans allowed.

think this was to stop work men using it for free, the items you have listed are ridiculous, as you say some are going to end up dumped some place.

Also now being charged £30 a year for green waste bin, i can cope with that.

11 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

Whenever I visit the tip its always staffed by five or more wandering up and down, but not actually helping out except to look at some items or go through cases looking for ‘loot’

Bit like that at ours, they can be helpful sometimes, its very funny if the wife goes and no one comes to help, especially if their helping an older lass who appears to have dressed to get some help.

we had some fence down in the strong winds just after new year, about 9m of 6ft close board. I stripped it all down and loaded the van, and had to visit 3 different tips to get rid of it all, now i'll just burn it if it happens again and to hell with the neighbours. thing is I like to dabble and make stuff in my spare time, this is going to cost me a small fortune.

Edited by Paddy Galore!

THANKS for your replies.

I am glad to say the village I live in is spotless and you can see that the residents take pride in keeping it clean , and yet some of the minor roads that are unlit have rubbish dumped a least once a week , a couple of weeks ago I was driving down one of them early in the morning and dumped in the middle of the road was a lorry load of Fir tree cuttings , you could see where they stopped , pulled a lever and just drove off leaving the road completely blocked . dead easy for those who done it and a nightmare for us who had to make a three mile detour to get to the shops . needless to say , no one was ever caught .

12 minutes ago, Paddy Galore! said:

we had some fence down in the strong winds just after new year, about 9m of 6ft close board. I stripped it all down and loaded the van, and had to visit 3 different tips to get rid of it all, now i'll just burn it if it happens again and to hell with the neighbours. thing is I like to dabble and make stuff in my spare time, this is going to cost me a small fortune.

One weekend I borrowed a van from work to  get rid of an old settee 

They wanted to charge me because it was "commercial " waste

because All the builders I know use refrigerated Butchers Vans . Don't they ??

needless to say the settee went up in smoke 

3 minutes ago, wascal said:

can you not still arrange for the council to pick things like this up from your house? It used to be free didn't it?

3 minutes ago, wascal said:

I've heard stories similar to that, some councils really need their heads testing, I was turned away once because I had helped my neighbour clear his shed out, about half a transit load of old furniture and general toot, because apparently It was "house clearance", I had to go back for him so he could explain that I wasn't being paid for it.

36 minutes ago, wascal said:

Strangely enough ,I caught a fly tipper using a refrigerator van from his butchers shop , he was doing a shop refurb and dumped his waste on a country lane ,that me and my mate had just cleared lol. He got a serious financial spanking from the local authority ,and a serious physical spanking from his wife(who was in the van with him and pleaded with him not to do it). Most of the enforcement officers have been cut fromy my local authority now due to lack of funding , fly tippers can pretty much do as they please.

9 minutes ago, Cant hit them all said:

my brother lives in lynn and council charged him 80 pound to take away his sofa  to come pick it up from his door

Iirc ,the authority that I work for charge £16.00 to collect and dispose of a 3 piece suite , I think that's very reasonable, and I'd happily pay it.

54 minutes ago, Paddy Galore! said:

You can bet a pound to a penny that from now on the Black general rubbish bin will be crammed full with d I y waste , it is surprising what you can get in the bin by breaking the item down .

Last year when I moved into my new bungalow I renewed my bathroom suite and retiled the room and floor , with the old rules in force I made two or three trips and dumped everything in there assorted bins free of charge .

If I was doing it now I would over a period of time put everything from the bathroom in the general bin , after all , it is general rubbish and it is from my house hold. it would then save me a 12 mile return trip and the cost of paying there fees ,   

23 minutes ago, Cant hit them all said:

my brother lives in lynn and council charged him 80 pound to take away his sofa  to come pick it up from his door

That seem a bit over the top , I know Yarmouth used to charge £15.00 , what it is now , I couldn't tell you .

3 hours ago, Mice! said:

can you not still arrange for the council to pick things like this up from your house? It used to be free didn't it?

from the council website:-

We also provide a bulky waste collection service. We will collect up to three items from households in South Norfolk for £45 (from 1st April 2018 price will be £46.50) . Additional items can be collected for a further charge.

A box of swann vestas 50p :hmm:

Edited by wascal