Norfolk County Council Charging For D I Y Rubbish

marsh man

There is a thing called "No Brains Logic". Its where something appears at face value to have merit but anyone with any degree of common sense would realise it would cause more trouble than it solves.

Charging people to dump their rubbish is a very good example of no brains logic. They are either going to fly tip it, try to burn it or dump in in the big combi bins at the back of most shops and blocks of flats.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Vince Green said:

There is a thing called "No Brains Logic". Its where something appears at face value to have merit but anyone with any degree of common sense would realise it would cause more trouble than it solves.

Charging people to dump their rubbish is a very good example of no brains logic. They are either going to fly tip it, try to burn it or dump in in the big combi bins at the back of most shops and blocks of flats.

Agree on all accounts Vince , we had a phone in this morning on our local radio station and not one person thought it was a good idea , the majority of people take there rubbish down the house hold tip over the weekend leaving Mondays a fairly quite day , if it was shut for one day a week and open a hour later in the mornings, I dare say the savings would be a lot more than charging people three quid to dump a bag of brick rubble .

It must have cost a fortune for a group of council white collar workers sitting around a table working out how much to charge for a fence panel to be put in the timber skip , a sight more than they would ever get back by the majority of the general public who would bother with taking it down there in the first place. 

Our local tip reduced opening hours in a bid to cut costs. They now open Fri, Sat, Sun and Mon. It can get very busy on those days however I am not sure there has been increase in fly tipping as a result of this. We still get fly tipping at the weekend when the tip is open and would have accepted the waste. Charging more for waste is just a way of raising taxes without actually suffering the political backlash of actually doing so. Deceitful, underhand local councils at their best.

4 minutes ago, Clodhopper said:

Our local tip reduced opening hours in a bid to cut costs. They now open Fri, Sat, Sun and Mon. It can get very busy on those days however I am not sure there has been increase in fly tipping as a result of this. We still get fly tipping at the weekend when the tip is open and would have accepted the waste. Charging more for waste is just a way of raising taxes without actually suffering the political backlash of actually doing so. Deceitful, underhand local councils at their best.

Yes we have already paid for these services through the council tax, the local authority keep on thinking of different ways they can charge us again....and again! For the same service (or more usually a worse service!) but councillors salaries, expenses and allowances keep on rising! 

And politicians can't understand why we despise them!

1 hour ago, Mighty Ruler said:

Anything they charge for put in the bin, when the bin’s full fill a black bag with stuff they don’t charge for and take it the tip. I’m surprised they haven’t refused to take my bin for being too heavy sometimes.

It would never surprise me if the day will come where the council will have weight restrictions on the general rubbish bins , if mine was half full up with brick rubble it would be fairly heavy , full up , it would certainly take some moving . 

17 minutes ago, marsh man said:

It would never surprise me if the day will come where the council will have weight restrictions on the general rubbish bins , if mine was half full up with brick rubble it would be fairly heavy , full up , it would certainly take some moving . 

More likely to charge an 'excess' for what they deem 'overweight' bins.....they ain't gonna miss an opportunity to squeeze a few more quid out of the ratepayers!

3 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

More likely to charge an 'excess' for what they deem 'overweight' bins.....they ain't gonna miss an opportunity to squeeze a few more quid out of the ratepayers!

If they charge for over the weight limit , would you get a reduction if you didn't get nowhere near the set weight limit , all our bins have got a barcode so it wouldn't be to difficult to weigh each individuals rubbish .

44 minutes ago, marsh man said:

If they charge for over the weight limit , would you get a reduction if you didn't get nowhere near the set weight limit , all our bins have got a barcode so it wouldn't be to difficult to weigh each individuals rubbish .

Reduction? :lol: I doubt that word ever appears in the council meeting minutes? Lol!

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

Their already is a weight limit ,most binmen will just put your bin on anyway though,just be polite and hide the things that aren't supposed to be in your bin. The heaviest domestic bin that I've emptied was 300kg , I've had plenty 250kg bins.

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

If you take a look under the front lip on your bin, you'll notice a small circular depression, this is to fit the microchip, so that each households bin can be weighed ,and they can be billed by weight (yes it coming)

29 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Reduction?  I doubt that word ever appears in the council meeting minutes? Lol!

Reduction is mentioned every year , in fact ,I've had a letter today that fully explains our current pay reduction.

I'm not xxxxxxx upset at all that xxxxxxx bosses and xxxxxxx councillors don't ever get xxxxxxx paycuts, xxxxxxx honest I'm not ?.

Yes big boards up at shaftesbury tip of the new prices. Also as Steve d said the boss there watches cctv and gets the boys to put it to one side. 1 of my colleagues used to work there.

I was there a few weeks ago and the guy there took my black bag, made me wait and ripped it open to examine the rubbish inside. Then proceed to ******* me for what was in there (garage waste). I was made to feel like a right **** infront  of everyone.

Also marsh man - for the last year a man comes in front on the bin lorries in a little corsa van and does random checks by opening your black bags outside your door. Not every fortnight but seen him about a bit as I work for the town council so I stay very close to home. He's county council.

And as everyone is saying, the back roads are filling up

30 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

Their already is a weight limit ,most binmen will just put your bin on anyway though,just be polite and hide the things that aren't supposed to be in your bin. The heaviest domestic bin that I've emptied was 300kg , I've had plenty 250kg bins.

If you take a look under the front lip on your bin, you'll notice a small circular depression, this is to fit the microchip, so that each households bin can be weighed ,and they can be billed by weight (yes it coming)

Reduction is mentioned every year , in fact ,I've had a letter today that fully explains our current pay reduction.

I'm not xxxxxxx upset at all that xxxxxxx bosses and xxxxxxx councillors don't ever get xxxxxxx paycuts, xxxxxxx honest I'm not ?.

THANKS mel b3 , sound advice and I will be carful from now on what is binned , we have got one or two places that will accept clean brick rubble for free as they put it through a crusher and sell it on .

I don't think it will be long before we start getting leaflets through the door explaining what you can and cant put in the general rubbish bin and possibly how much weight ,

When our poor ole dustmen came years ago they had a tin bath on there head and the dustbin was tipped in the bath and they would put it back on there head and carry it down our passage to the dust cart , mind you we had very little waste then as a lot of it was reused:lol: 

Can't fault Stafford tip.

I regularly turn up wit the horse trailer full of stuff. The only things there is a limit on is tyres, asbestos and rubble.

Staff are helpful and friendly, and there's a big board on the way in proudly proclaiming how much has been recycled. Recycled equals a cash income.

5 hours ago, marsh man said:

You wouldn't get away with that round here, the bin men are as awkward as can be, any excuse not to empty a bin, overfull is common, if the lid isn't fully down they wont take it. Even if its a centimetre. Too heavy would be a perfect excuse for them.

Our garden waste bin was not emptied about three times last year, (we pay £75 a year for this) each time we complained we were told it was plastic waste contamination but there wasn't any. Not even a hint.

So we told them that the bin men had been taking bungs from the gardeners to remove huge amounts of grass cuttings and suddenly the problem disappeared, funny that

Edited by Vince Green

6 hours ago, marsh man said:

When it gets too heavy I spread it around my neighbours and relations. It’s not that I’m tight:whistling: it’s the principle of the thing.

2 hours ago, manthing said:

Can't fault Stafford tip.

I regularly turn up wit the horse trailer full of stuff. The only things there is a limit on is tyres, asbestos and rubble.

Staff are helpful and friendly, and there's a big board on the way in proudly proclaiming how much has been recycled. Recycled equals a cash income.

Yeah, only been Stafford twice because Stoke don’t take asbestos, even when double bagged in proper bags. I was expecting them to be awkward but they couldn’t have been more helpful.

1 hour ago, rimfire4969 said:

When Cornwall started to charge at the dump the fly tipping rate went through the roof. What they made at the dump it costs them a hell of a lot more clearing away the fly tipping. 

That is exactly what I was getting at , to me it was common sense , something some of the well paid council workers who sit round a table for hours at a time seem to have very little of.

1 hour ago, rimfire4969 said:

When Cornwall started to charge at the dump the fly tipping rate went through the roof. What they made at the dump it costs them a hell of a lot more clearing away the fly tipping. 

I have never even considered fly tipping, but I really resent paying for a service I have already paid for in my Council tax! And the fact that fly tipping increases where a charge for rubbish removal increases, as does Council tax! Which means the council tax payers, who mostly don't fly tip! Like myself! Not only pay multiple times for the same service, but pick up the cost of removing rubbish fly tipped by those that do!

Well I know what I'm talking about anyway! Lol!

12 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

I have never even considered fly tipping, but I really resent paying for a service I have already paid for in my Council tax! And the fact that fly tipping increases where a charge for rubbish removal increases, as does Council tax! Which means the council tax payers, who mostly don't fly tip! Like myself! Not only pay multiple times for the same service, but pick up the cost of removing rubbish fly tipped by those that do!

Nope- it’s clear :-)

Penalised for doing the right thing - who said ‘Crime doesn’t Pay’?

17 hours ago, marsh man said:

Think they have devices on vans here to clock the weights?

3 hours ago, panoma1 said:

Bang on the button :good:

54 minutes ago, old man said:

Think they have devices on vans here to clock the weights?

If our council haven't , I bet they soon will have .

It's all well and good saying we already pay once in council tax, but given the huge effective cuts in income for councils we should all be able to appreciate that either they will have to reduce services and/or charge for some things that are currently 'included' that can't be withdrawn.

8 minutes ago, Wb123 said:

It's all well and good saying we already pay once in council tax, but given the huge effective cuts in income for councils we should all be able to appreciate that either they will have to reduce services and/or charge for some things that are currently 'included' that can't be withdrawn.

or ditch some of the unnecessary vanity projects and  council posts (eg diversity officers)