.17 hmr moderators

bruno22rf

On 4/3/2018 at 17:02, bruno22rf said:

TBH - too many sensible answers instead of the "doesn't really make much difference m8 and if the gun is THAT nice just buy it" - to add insult to injury comes Dekers suggestion that my baby may be a little over weight :sad1:. That's the problem with this forum - people who know better giving sound advice - going to sit in the corner and simply rock myself to sleep now. 

Doesnt make much difference mate...get it :lol:

I have a varmint .243 and it weighs a tonne, I lug it round the fields for hours, but it shoots well and I like it so suffer in silence :lol:

On the mod issue...it makes a heck of a difference so get one fitted or get some good hearing protection and upset the neighbours within the area. 

I had a Cz American for a while just could not get on with it so purchased a Cz Varmint and wouldn’t look back now. The American was really light for me and shooting off hand I was all over the place with it, so for me a heavy barrel in the field is perfect. If you feel it works for you then go for it.

its what it feels like shooting it not carrying it.

On 4/4/2018 at 08:42, ShootingEgg said:

I had an early atec and it was poop. Swapped it out for sirocco and its made a big difference. 

I read a moderator review which was around 2-3 years old, a while back. I believe it was a 'Top 10' type affair. The Sirocco came top by a fair way. Not sure how the sound level was monitored mind...

34 minutes ago, jam1e said:

I read a moderator review which was around 2-3 years old, a while back. I believe it was a 'Top 10' type affair. The Sirocco came top by a fair way. Not sure how the sound level was monitored mind...

The atec was purely a barrel extension on my HMR, did pretty much nothing, first one I had did this. 

DSC_0681.jpg

For a sealed unit its not good, especially when you find it half inch off after a shot that sounded odd. The replacement was off too and no round went to the same mark even when clamped, so was clipping. 

12 hours ago, Rst1990 said:

I had a Cz American for a while just could not get on with it so purchased a Cz Varmint and wouldn’t look back now. The American was really light for me and shooting off hand I was all over the place with it, so for me a heavy barrel in the field is perfect. If you feel it works for you then go for it.

its what it feels like shooting it not carrying it.

Some people like heavy, no argument from me, but that's just a tad silly, it can get hard work, and tiring, carrying a heavy gun, that may also impact on the shooting of it!

If you or anyone wants heavy its your choice, but it is also a bit important what it feels like carrying it.   Target rifles tend to be a bit heavy and feel good to shoot but I wouldn't want to carry one around the fields all day!

:good:

Edited by Dekers

2 hours ago, Dekers said:

Some people like heavy, no argument from me, but that's just a tad silly, it can get hard work, and tiring, carrying a heavy gun, that may also impact on the shooting of it!

If you or anyone wants heavy its your choice, but it is also a bit important what it feels like carrying it.   Target rifles tend to be a bit heavy and feel good to shoot but I wouldn't want to carry one around the fields all day!

:good:

What’s silly? Because I chose a Varmint barrel because a light weight barrel was no good for me in the field? How strange!

:lol:

23 hours ago, Rst1990 said:

What’s silly? Because I chose a Varmint barrel because a light weight barrel was no good for me in the field? How strange!

:hmm::hmm:

No, if you like heavy that's your choice, like I said.

its what it feels like shooting it not carrying it.   That's the bit that was a tad silly.

2 hours ago, Dekers said:

No, if you like heavy that's your choice, like I said.

its what it feels like shooting it not carrying it.   That's the bit that was a tad silly.

I’m surprised you stand by your remark of silly.

my centefires weigh more than my 16” Varmint barrel rimfires and I still get them round the field easily.

oh well each to there own I suppose, can’t shoot for **** but I don’t get out of breath carrying it so it’s all good :lol: 

you carry on sir

1 hour ago, Rst1990 said:

my centefires weigh more than my 16” Varmint barrel rimfires and I still get them round the field easily.

oh well each to there own I suppose, can’t shoot for **** but I don’t get out of breath carrying it so it’s all good  

you carry on sir

You are missing my point completely, I have never said you or anyone else was silly using a heavy rifle!

Some have an issue carrying it, to suggest..... its what it feels like shooting it not carrying it. IS silly, but seeing I have tried to make the point 3 times now it's obviously going over your head! 

Problem solved now - not going to buy the m77/17 but have instead put a deposit down on a used Anni 1717 that will wear a Sak....it's the heavy barrel model but I think the barrel is only about 16 inches long so weight is not going to be a problem, I also only really intend to use it from a hide for long range pigeon and crow scaring although I'm hoping that if I throw enough lead their way the by the Law of averages, sooner or later, I'm going to clip one. Looking for a decent used scope now, any suggestions?

1 hour ago, Dekers said:

You are missing my point completely, I have never said you or anyone else was silly using a heavy rifle!

Some have an issue carrying it, to suggest..... its what it feels like shooting it not carrying it. IS silly, but seeing I have tried to make the point 3 times now it's obviously going over your head! 

For the people who have an issue carrying it I’m shore they wouldn’t buy it in the first place after picking it up. 

Fundamentally it’s most important to shoot the rifle correctly at live quarry that is the main concern to which I brought to your attention. People’s fatigue in my opinion is last, it’s making a clean kill is ALWAYS paramount!!

1 hour ago, bruno22rf said:

Problem solved now - not going to buy the m77/17 but have instead put a deposit down on a used Anni 1717 that will wear a Sak....it's the heavy barrel model but I think the barrel is only about 16 inches long so weight is not going to be a problem, I also only really intend to use it from a hide for long range pigeon and crow scaring although I'm hoping that if I throw enough lead their way the by the Law of averages, sooner or later, I'm going to clip one. Looking for a decent used scope now, any suggestions?

Nice rifle mate, put pics up when you can.

for my rimfires I’ve put Hawke scopes on cheap and clear and come with 10 year guarantee.

14 hours ago, BSA-airgunner said:

this is worth a read .............and the reason i bought the sirocco sm11 its done five years and is still perfect i might even give it a clean 

http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/shooting/accessories/ten-of-the-best-17hmr-moderators-5434

I think you will find that was just a reworked version of the link below, which I posted earlier.............

http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/reviews/shotgun/17hmr-calibre-sound-moderators-review

I have the SM11 as well, not expensive in the great scheme, but not that impressive either as far as I'm concerned.    SAK wins for me and Shooting UK as the best package for a HMR for "most" people.

Edited by Dekers

On 4/8/2018 at 14:21, Rst1990 said:

oh well each to there own I suppose, can’t shoot for **** but I don’t get out of breath carrying it so it’s all good  

you carry on sir

:lol: HMRs with a "heavy" 16" barrel are lovely and light. I lug a Howa 1500 in .243 round with a 24" barrel....and I am silly :lol: I like chunky rifles and it shoots well but being skinny I do question my sanity sometimes. I have a lighter rifle that shoots well but I prefer the feel of the heavy rifle...once I have caught my breath :lol: Each to their own...we are all "silly" one way or another. 

2 hours ago, WelshMike said:

:lol: HMRs with a "heavy" 16" barrel are lovely and light. I lug a Howa 1500 in .243 round with a 24" barrel....and I am silly :lol: I like chunky rifles and it shoots well but being skinny I do question my sanity sometimes. I have a lighter rifle that shoots well but I prefer the feel of the heavy rifle...once I have caught my breath :lol: Each to their own...we are all "silly" one way or another. 

Well said mate, made me chuckle :good: