New Permission

Geo

I am a member of a fishing syndicate with two lakes on a farm. When driving into the farm at the weekend I disturbed a large flock of pigeons feeding on a rape field, which all took off and landed in the trees surrounding the field no doubt to return to feeding when I had left.

As luck would have it the farmer had a walk round the lake while I was fishing , I was the only person there so we started chatting , and when I mentioned the pigeons he said that I could shoot them anytime as long as I let him know when I was going to be there ! Result !

He said that he had given others permission but they typically turned up for half an hour and if nothing was happening they just went home and hadn't really been any help. So all that remains is for me to drop a card into him with my details and it looks as though I finally have some local permission approx. 1 mile from my house.

My question is how to tackle this field that is obviously a favourite feeding spot.  It always has birds on it and every time I drive past they all lift off and head for the trees. I would have to walk across it to set up , so what are the chances of them returning to feed having sat there and watched me put a couple of their dead relatives on a magnet ?

All advice welcome.

get to the field and park somewhere you can see most of the field, walk across and clap them off the field (make sure they leave) walk back to motor and sit and watch, now if you are lucky and they start to return watch which part of the field they return to, when numbers have built-up again do the same (walk/clap them off) back to the motor and watch, if they start to return fairly quickly (within half an hour) and to the same spot/area you might be in luck, the next thing is to find a spot with the wind to your back or coming from the left or right, the rest is down to you and your set-up, I may of simplified it a little but it should give you an idea of what they want to-do.

I guess one question to ask yourself is why did the other shooters not stop on the field for longer? :hmm:

Good luck :good:

Edited by old'un

The previous information given is what you need to do, the other shooters may not have waited long enough for the birds to return. Following Old'un advice if they do not return drive and find them, approach the new ground and say you shoot on Mr Farmers land down the road and the birds have come to this ground you may get two local shoots??

Remember shoot where the birds want to be and do not shower the fishermen on the lake!!!!

Follow old'un good advice , also I would walk all the way around the field , check for droppings underneath the trees , any foot paths / houses this side or the other side of the hedge and good decoying spots for different wind conditions .

Also if you do manage to get a few , offer the farmer some and make sure you clean up any empties , I dare say you do anyhow , but its surprising how many who don't , and don't take anyone else with you until you get the go ahead ,

GOOD LUCK and report on your success ............................. or failure :good:

Couple of good points raised by PC and marsh man, another thing at this time of year, they have a lot of daylight hours to pick when to feed, when you walk them off, take your binoculars with you and watch where they go, they may possibly land in some distant wood/trees, or disappear into the distance never to return that day, make sure you can see this wood/trees from your advantage point, the reason for this is, if you see lots of birds starting to stream out of the wood/trees but in a totally different direction, its possible there is another rape field they are feeding on, follow PC advice and go find it and knock some doors.

The other thing that might happen at this time of year with long daylight hours (and I suspect that’s why the other shooters left the field) is they will sit you out.

Once again good luck and I hope they want your field on the day.