Le Mans 24 hours

walshie

This was always on my bucket list of things to do, so we went for the first time in 2011. Enjoyed it so much that we went in 2012 and 2013 too. Missed 14, 15, 16 and 17 due to family circumstances, work and moving, but we've just booked for this year.

Is anyone else going? (From here I mean. Obviously we won't be the only 5 people there.) :lol:

18 hours ago, muffin said:

24 hours

:oops:

We went twice back in the late 80's when the TWR Jags won and Mazda 767's were racing.

I haven't been back, but wheat I have seen/heard the modern running of the race is a sanitized version of how it was back then. For good reasons of course.

So all that's all need on this thread, someone telling you it's rubbish now don't bother :lol:

Seriously though I would like to go back just to see (we went the MotoGP there last year) how much it has changed, but I would to go to the IOM TT before it is changed forever for safety reasons.

14 minutes ago, Dunkield said:

:oops:

We went twice back in the late 80's when the TWR Jags won and Mazda 767's were racing.

I haven't been back, but wheat I have seen/heard the modern running of the race is a sanitized version of how it was back then. For good reasons of course.

So all that's all need on this thread, someone telling you it's rubbish now don't bother 

Seriously though I would like to go back just to see (we went the MotoGP there last year) how much it has changed, but I would to go to the IOM TT before it is changed forever for safety reasons.

I wasn't allowed to go in the late 80's as I would have missed school on the Monday. :whistling:

Last time was 2013 and it was a great few days. We're going Thursday to Monday this year.

I'd fill yer boots before they are electric cars limited to 55mph :unhappy:

Turns out is was 1987 and 88 we went, amazing atmosphere when Jaguar finally beat the then dominant Porsche 962's - even the French were congratulating us.

Seeing the GT40's racing must have been quite something muffin

Yes Dunkield it was  I do not believe I thought to much about it at the time more the spectacle of the event all I remember when we got on the on the coach we had it till we got back to UK and we slept in it when we wanted went for a look at the race when we wanted I remember lying in the coach and thinking after listening who had dropped out the coach was close to track 

Daytona! Wow that has to be something and Le Mans, yes will have to get some of that in the next few years, definitely before it goes electric (hopefully never) Keep saying we'll do Goodwood one year as well. Done plenty drag racing events, even participated in the 80s and 90s. Things to look forward to in retirement.

The older you get the more it becomes clear you just have to do things, and you need to plan ahead as well.

I, roughly, lay out what I going to do over the coming year during the Christmas break, if you say 'next year' too often it will never happen.

If you haven't been before, do Le Mans, there is still nothing else like it.

Been 3 times - late 80's early 90's   Saw the Jags coming in 1,2,3  (was it Pescarolo's Porsche that blew up on last lap?) . The screaming Mazda's and then the thumping Merc Silver arrows and Aston Martin. 

Will go back some time.

• 2 months later...

Got back yesterday from a cracking 4 days at Le Mans. Weather was terrific and so was the racing.

Pros:
Racing
Atmosphere
Beer
BBQ
Spending time with mates and family

Cons:
Sunburnt knees
Beer 8 Euros for half a litre (luckily we had a truck load of our own.)
One of our convoy driving the slowest motorhome on earth.
One of my mates' wife is a rabid remainer who thinks everyone who voted leave is stupid and she is the clever one, but somehow can't comprehend 51.9% is more than half. 

All in all, well worth a place on people's bucket list. :good:

1 minute ago, Dunkield said:

I saw a load of references to Le Mans online and wondered how you got on. Sounded like a decent trip overall 

Everyone is there for the same reason. There was no trouble and literally the whole campsite singing Sweet Caroline at 4am on Saturday morning was a sound to behold. :lol:

We've just got back from Barcelona and the Catalonia Moto GP.

Done lots of GP's but 3 times to Barcelona track. In the Rossi stands 6 corners to look at.

Crutchlow crashed in Qualifying right in front of us at turn 13,  but got a superb 4th place in the race.

Its something you have to do at least once. 

Fastest men in the World, on the fastest machines in the World.

As already said I wish I'd seen a Grand Prix a few years ago before it all changed. 

I went to the 24hr last year and loved it. Regardless of everything else the atmosphere is electric.

I am going this year to the Classic to give that a spin because last year it seemed everyone going had a Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo or McLaren - they were two a penny, and I am afraid they just don't do it for me. I like chrome and tax exempt cars that return less than 10 to a gallon and smell like old churches.

As has been mentioned above, you have to plan, book and do, else nothing happens and you will do nothing. Growing up I watched my father work from 5-10 everyday in a large corporate environment where after 45 years of age you are always looking over your shoulder at who wants your job and are in fear of being made redundant. He would work at home Saturdays and spent Sundays catching up on sleep, reading the paper and worrying about the week ahead. He was pensioned off early with a heart attack on Shenfield Station platform early one morning and since then he has done very little with his life - he is fit and looks after himself but he sacrificed his spare time and any hobbies in pursuit of his work, but when he fell over at Shenfield Station, 2 weeks later it was like he never existed at work - the organisation seamlessly moved on without him and without a ripple. That's large corporate life for you. That's not me and I worked out from a very early age that I wasn't going to do that or be that.

Once you get over 45 live every day like it's your last because one day it will be.

I am now trying to work out if I can get a USA RV trip past the missus for next year.

4 hours ago, Mungler said:

I am going this year to the Classic to give that a spin because last year it seemed everyone going had a Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo or McLaren - they were two a penny, and I am afraid they just don't do it for me. I like chrome and tax exempt cars that return less than 10 to a gallon and smell like old churches.

Be interested to hear how this goes, having done Goodwood Revival a couple of times we have talked about Classic Le Mans or Monaco.

@mickyh we have been to the MotoGP  at Le Mans (coincidentally) but I fancy going back and going again next year but to Mugello as everyone reckons that is 'the one' have you been?

Yes we have its Unbelievable!

However once you've parked its a nightmare to walk in and out. One tiny service road used by people , bikes, cars and wagons.

Its a most beautiful place, like a nature reserve,  in fact I flushed out a Roe Deer in some long grass amonst 120,000 people,  oh and a Hare ran on the track during Moto 2.

They were talking of changing the access road.

We stayed in a mountain village overlooking Florence,  need a car though.

It is a must, but take ear plugs, there are Chain Saws going 24/7.

We managed to visit Rossi's village, Tuvelia. And then, the next day, Marco Simoncelli's Museum over the road from his Graveyard. 

Somber, but well worth half a day if you follow racing. And no bad food for a week !

Edited by mickyh

I did hear of late ford and Ferrari where to collaborate on a project Enzo Ferrari left Henry Ford at the signing andwalked off The start of the GT40 Henry Ford left saying build  me a car to beat Ferrari how true do not know but a good story